2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

We came into the Radiohead crowd and there was quite a few there, but by the time we left about 45 mins later the crowd had shrunk dramatically. Past the relay speakers you could've driven a jeep around and avoided what little crowd was left there.

We left and went to Dizzee, I don't know if WH is prone to getting crowds which go so far back that they jam up the track at the back of the field, but that's the situation we found. There was loads at Major Lazer as well when we walked past Other.

10 mins before the Flaming Lips, the crowd was pretty sparse, which filled up quickly. Someone I know vaguely started at Radiohead and went to the Park. He said it was a real wave of people. doing the same.

If The Strokes get announced for APE, can they really go onto headline? or is it firmly one or the other?

They would do well to sell it out at £70(approx), and I can't see the Glastonbury lineup being any later than late March this year, so that affects them being able to shift tix, which APE would not sign up for… surely.

Nick Cave, Catfish, Christine, The National, The XX… all sub-headline level acts for Pyramid really

19 minutes ago, CJTM said:

If The Strokes get announced for APE, can they really go onto headline? or is it firmly one or the other?

They would do well to sell it out at £70(approx), and I can't see the Glastonbury lineup being any later than late March this year, so that affects them being able to shift tix, which APE would not sign up for… surely.

Nick Cave, Catfish, Christine, The National, The XX… all sub-headline level acts for Pyramid really

Which festivals only have headliners that would also headline Glastonbury?

17 minutes ago, CJTM said:

I think you've missed what I mean, but BST prob

No I get what you mean. Just trying to point out that playing one festival doesn’t dictate a band’s status at other festivals, and those headliners aren’t all on the same level.

For instance, Florence and the Machine can headline BST, and Glastonbury, but she’s also headlining Boardmasters. So are Boardmasters likely to get Glasto headliners across the board or is it just a big headliner for them - a bit like The Strokes are for APE?

I’d say that since many major fests have bottomed out and medium-sized events have risen through the ranks, there isn’t really a tier system for fest headliners anymore. Festivals just get what they can in any given year.

11 hours ago, sisco said:

It’s hardly a vintage year for any set of festival headliners is it?

Whats the best lineup out there at the min?

Hits the mail on the head for me. The depths of the line-ups overall aren't bad and some of the mid size festivals' headliners are decent relatively speaking but when you talk about headliners at  'major' festivals there just aren't big enough names who are also in any way fresh or exciting...no big comebacks or (realistically) any wish list artists they are finally going to get. 

IOW people said they forgot to book headliners (instead having 3 decently sized subs),  
Reading/Leeds, none of the headliners would have been popular choices on here for Sat/Sun pyramid (Foos largely as played last time).  
Download and BST no real crossovers.  
Primavera no headliners of the size Glastonbury would normally attract.  
Rock Werchters headliners have mainly played Glastonbury recently or regularly enough to be a bit boring   

Short of them pulling something huge out of the bag no other fest has (only FM or Gaga are distant possibilities for me) I don't think we are going to get a big, generally popular headliner. I liked The Strokes for years and I might even watch them at APE but I just find them a thoroughly uninspiring choice for the pyramid. I'm more into indie than 'pure pop' but I'd take Pink, Taylor Swift, The Spice Girls and even Take That over the Strokes. If we have to have boys with guitars I'd also prefer Foals, whilst not really at that level, at least they would give a sh*t about it. I don't think The Strokes would.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

No I get what you mean. Just trying to point out that playing one festival doesn’t dictate a band’s status at other festivals, and those headliners aren’t all on the same level.

For instance, Florence and the Machine can headline BST, and Glastonbury, but she’s also headlining Boardmasters. So are Boardmasters likely to get Glasto headliners across the board or is it just a big headliner for them - a bit like The Strokes are for APE?

I’d say that since many major fests have bottomed out and medium-sized events have risen through the ranks, there isn’t really a tier system for fest headliners anymore. Festivals just get what they can in any given year.

FWIW, do you think it's them at either/both APE/Gbury

1 hour ago, CJTM said:

FWIW, do you think it's them at either/both APE/Gbury

All Points East or both, I suppose. APE is a sure thing - and they seem like a reasonable backup choice for Glastonbury, to me. But obviously it's still fairly open at this point. 

I can't for the life of me see them taking a fraction of what AEG are paying them to come over two weeks earlier than the next European date for Glastonbury and play a non-headline slot, after years of avoiding the place. So if the murmurs are true then I think it's as a headliner.

4 hours ago, woyski said:

Ah piss, I keep missing so much on this forum. Can I be that dickhead who asks for a brief synposis? Strokes looking more and more likely or nah?

Just about headliners: No new information. The Strokes still a possibility. Neil has said today that The Strokes at APE is a sure thing, and nobody knows for sure what that tells us about Glastonbury (as recently discussed). 

Oh yeah: Maroon 5 has been proposed, with some good arguments, sadly :lol: No actual rumours, though. 

The 1975 are definitely out for Glasto, booked elsewhere for all dates.