2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Ah fuck

I didn’t think of Liam at all but now can totally see it. It reminds me a lot of 2013 when we kinda speculated around an act that threw their hat into the ring very early (Mumford), and we doubted their size until they appeared on the poster.

i really don’t think booking him as a headliner would be that controversial either.

i guess we have more info for the strokes than Liam though. 

It’s funny, if you think of it this way we have three (reasonable) contenders to take the slot; The Strokes, The Killers, Liam - (when it seemed like we could barely think of an act), turns out there are options, they just might not be what we really want

Despite the strokes info, something is pulling me to the killers and I don’t know why. Just a gut feeling

There’s nothing for The Killers though. Other than that they’re playing in Texas in May, which is more or less irrelevant because they never stop playing shows. There’s no apparent reason for them to come back to Europe.

IMO you have The Strokes and LG with info, RHCP and more to come who’ll be about Europe, Gaga who might fall into the special appearance thing (see Sheeran, Adele) and then The Killers, KOL who are active elsewhere in the world with no big reason to come back over.

57 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

It was mentioned on here straight after 2017, that The Killers had been booked to headline (wasn't there even a thread on it?).

No that was a prediction from a fan.

51 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

he's only a contender if things have been moved around due to someone backing out.

True but the way that was presented, it seemed he was bowling for a late replacement slot.

1 minute ago, nysmaw said:

Would anyone be so kind and explain what it means to be a gammon for those of us who are not native English speakers? I’m quite confused :D

It’s to do with having bigoted beliefs, normally impacted by patriotism, but it’s been hijacked by these losers who want to make people feel bad about the music they like.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Ok so I was into The Killers just as much as anybody back when we all had souls but weren't soldiers. "What a clever line" I thought. And then it got old. And their second album was a bit whatever. I realized some soldiers didnt have souls and some non soldiers DID have souls and that line with just nonsense. And then I went through life not thinking about The Killers. 

Well I saw them in September and holy shit I'd love to see them on the Pyramid. Honestly one of the most entertaining acts I've seen. 

It's gotta be Daft Punk though right?

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's something that got made up for older brexiters who get so worked up about it they make themselves red in the face.

One particular question time led to the 'wall of gammon' meme online, when a bunch of old white guys were shouting until they were red in the face about how we needed to nuke Iran, to the confusion and disgust of a young female student.

7 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Well I saw them in September and holy shit I'd love to see them on the Pyramid. Honestly one of the most entertaining acts I've seen. 

It's gotta be Daft Punk though right?

I missed the Killers gig at Glastonbury for a bit of a closer-fuck of a reason....then me and two friends (who LOVE The Killers) got tickets to see them in Sheffield in December 2017. And OMG they were one of the most boring acts I've ever seen. Maybe I expected too much after hearing how amazing they'd been on the JP. At the end, my massive-Killer's-fan friend turned to me and said, "rather unbelievably, Blink 182 were WAY better".....

Daft Punk though I'm 100% down with. And as they are also a "couple of guys", we basically have info on them already ? 

23 minutes ago, nysmaw said:

Would anyone be so kind and explain what it means to be a gammon for those of us who are not native English speakers? I’m quite confused :D

21 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It’s to do with having bigoted beliefs, normally impacted by patriotism, but it’s been hijacked by these losers who want to make people feel bad about the music they like.

It also appears to be used in place of Generation X, which btw is a cool as fuck name.

That's it ! We can't have a great name, let's take it away and replace it with something derogatory then use it to beat Gen X with when we don't agree with their choices/music.

Just now, Sasperella said:

I missed the Killers gig at Glastonbury for a bit of a closer-fuck of a reason....then me and two friends (who LOVE The Killers) got tickets to see them in Sheffield in December 2017. And OMG they were one of the most boring acts I've ever seen. Maybe I expected too much after hearing how amazing they'd been on the JP. At the end, my massive-Killer's-fan friend turned to me and said, "rather unbelievably, Blink 182 were WAY better".....

Daft Punk though I'm 100% down with. And as they are also a "couple of guys", we basically have info on them already ? 

I skipped the secret set because I gave 0 fucks if I saw the Killers. I had 0 regrets about that (and still do). 

So when I saw them in September they were headlining a fest in BC and I had 0 expectations and it tuned out to be a massive party. 

Daft Punk is the only possible thing that could take away the fresh sting of no Macca for me. Imagine if they pulled that off. 

My ears are stilling ringing from how loud the crowd was during The Killers' secret set (especially Mr. Brightside).

I think if The Strokes were to be announced it would be like when Kasabian was announced in 2014. People here would shit their britches, but in the end they'd get the biggest and most liveliest crowd.

4 minutes ago, Anarion said:

My ears are stilling ringing from how loud the crowd was during The Killers' secret set (especially Mr. Brightside).

I think if The Strokes were to be announced it would be like when Kasabian was announced in 2014. People here would shit their britches, but in the end they'd get the biggest and most liveliest crowd.

I can guarantee The Strokes would not get the biggest or livelist crowd of the day let alone of the 3 headliners.

Edited by JoeyT
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Anarion said:

But the difference is that Kasabian have quite a lot of big tunes. The Strokes would have to play Last Nite on repeat for two hours... ?

3 minutes ago, Anarion said:

Honestly out of the 3 I'll probably see the Strokes. It has nothing to do with them and but more so them being the final headliner without any "wow" headliner I'm dying to see. If there were no contenders for he 3rd spot I'd actually be happy about the strokes because I would still have Macca hope in my heart.

4 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

But the difference is that Kasabian have quite a lot of big tunes. The Strokes would have to play Last Nite on repeat for two hours... ?

I dunno...I think these would go down pretty well

reptilia

juciebox

meet me in the bathroom 

under cover of darkness

hard to explain 

sometimes

You only live once

heart in a cage

6 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

New York City Cops always goes down tremendously well at Strokes shows!

How could I have forgotten that. They’ve definitely got a strong back catalogue. And Albert Hammond jnr is an amazing guitarist. I’d be happy with all the strokes side projects also appearing. 

Fighting the strokes corner hard over hear.