Self Confirmed 2017

the wonderwhy

8 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Let us not forget that music is subjective. Yes, there are bands and artists out there that have more technique and spend more time with their craft and there are those that simply buy a song to sing. However, no one has a better taste in music than any other, we simply think we do. 

It's fun to have a bit of banter and rip into your pals for their shocking taste when you see their most listened to songs etc. However, I think sometimes in here it goes past banter and jest and becomes more of a hierarchy of who thinks they are top dog of the musical taste expertise.

I agree mate, everyone has their own tastes and I wasn't actually trying to say the bloke isn't allowed to enjoy what he does, the same way I didn't say what I liked is better etc. I just think it's bullshit to bemoan everything unless they play it on a radio station you like.

6 minutes ago, The Orgazoid said:

What are you talking about? Do you even know? 

We were enjoying a bit of healthy debate there and you've bloody ruined it. 

I know, I don't think he did though.

No, I've commented back as someone with a narrow mind decided to laud his favorite radio station and basically call everything a bit more radio friendly etc shit. Then when questioned on it use the worst example possible. 

37 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

So basically, Other is shit unless you like 6Music, which happens to be a fair few just on this forum and a very narrow minded view as to you bar 6Music content there is no point.

No, Other is 'shit' if you like 6Music! I have to align myself with the Lammo-detractors, I'm afraid. In fact, given 6's amazing diversity, we should probably embrace the fact that there is a mostly dull, uninspiring, MOR vanilla indie-rock show on there too. And I probably would. If it wasn't in prime drive time every weekday!

And The Other Stage is not shit, it's just still quite prominently indie landfill. It's my least favourite of the big 5 by miles, and way down my list for the festival overall.

As people have said, it feels to me like the stage least likely to remind you that you're at Glastonbury.

Ben

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

I agree mate, everyone has their own tastes and I wasn't actually trying to say the bloke isn't allowed to enjoy what he does, the same way I didn't say what I liked is better etc. I just think it's bullshit to bemoan everything unless they play it on a radio station you like.

No, I've commented back as someone with a narrow mind decided to laud his favorite radio station and basically call everything a bit more radio friendly etc shit. Then when questioned on it use the worst example possible. 

Oh I wasn't targetting you, it just so happened my post came directly after yours. It was more of a general post after reading not just this thread but several others. 

4 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

No, Other is 'shit' if you like 6Music! I have to align myself with the Lammo-detractors, I'm afraid. In fact, given 6's amazing diversity, we should probably embrace the fact that there is a mostly dull, uninspiring, MOR vanilla indie-rock show on there too. And I probably would. If it wasn't in prime drive time every weekday!

And The Other Stage is not shit, it's just still quite prominently indie landfill. It's my least favourite of the big 5 by miles, and way down my list for the festival overall.

As people have said, it feels to me like the stage least likely to remind you that you're at Glastonbury.

Ben

Hmm....

The flags, looking to the back to see "CHINESE" always makes me remember where I am.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

I just think it's bullshit to bemoan everything unless they play it on a radio station you like.

All CalGon actually said was that a particular show on 6Music is not particularly diverse compared with the rest of the station's output and that the Other Stage could be seen in a similar way.

You seem to have invented the rest. 

18 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Exactly. Shaun Keaveny mostly leans towards guitars too but doesn't have the same complete inability to branch out or move on. I don't normally listen to his show either, but don't object to him in the same way I do to the least interesting presenter getting the most prominent slot.

Edited by Bradders

I don't think Lammo is very good broadcaster (which is shocking considering it's his job), but even those who take an active dislike to him must still appreciate his efforts in promoting new music and getting out to live gigs. In this age of more and more venues closing it's nice to hear a voice which still promotes the live music scene.

1 minute ago, big__phil said:

I don't think Lammo is very good broadcaster (which is shocking considering it's his job), but even those who take an active dislike to him must still appreciate his efforts in promoting new music and getting out to live gigs. In this age of more and more venues closing it's nice to hear a voice which still promotes the live music scene.

Fair point. I have to admit, when I have seen him at gigs (yes I go to the same little gigs as him sometimes! It's not about me not liking indie music), I have thought it was quite sweet that he's still putting in the legwork.

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

I like the Other stage. It had New Order on it and it is right next to the Glade.

I prefer Radio 2 to 6 music. 

I recently changed jobs, which means I now drive my own, DAB-less, car to work. Have Radio 2 on by default, it's awful. Chris Evans is a pillock in the morning and Steve Wright's a pillock in the afternoon. 

2 minutes ago, The Orgazoid said:

I recently changed jobs, which means I now drive my own, DAB-less, car to work. Have Radio 2 on by default, it's awful. Chris Evans is a pillock in the morning and Steve Wright's a pillock in the afternoon. 

There is no way I could put up with that. You should get one of those FM transmitter thingys.

2 minutes ago, The Orgazoid said:

Is Steve Wright still going? Does he still do his silly true story thing?

After growing up listening to Mark and Lard in their heyday, Pete Mitchels IQ show and Stu Allan on Key 103. All other radio shows seem pretty shit in comparison. 

When I have had radio 2 on, the music has been ok.

28 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

Yes, I did mean if you like 6Music, and people are more than welcome to like that. I'm not a huge fan at all but can listen to the odd thing.

It's more for me generally in the day, at night when the subs/headliners are on less so. Least favorite is JP nowadays without question.

To be honest it's one of the one's with the flags going right through it, it remind me more so that I'm there.

22 minutes ago, Andeeroo said:

All CalGon actually said was that a particular show on 6Music is not particularly diverse compared with the rest of the station's output and that the Other Stage could be seen in a similar way.

You seem to have invented the rest

What bullshit! He very much referenced the other stage so let's cut the crap that he was just on about a 6Music show.

34 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Oh I wasn't targetting you, it just so happened my post came directly after yours. It was more of a general post after reading not just this thread but several others. 

I know man.

1 hour ago, The Orgazoid said:

Chris Evans is also a prick at lunch time through till dinner and all the way up untill bedtime