Self Confirmed 2017

the wonderwhy

1 hour ago, justperfect said:

It tells you all you need to know about a band you have watched when the only thing you can remember is the singer had a rather bright rainbow style cloak/coat on.

Mrs P on the other hand had a right good time

For what I saw in the annoying clash I had it was okay but the stage sucked them in.

1 hour ago, RyanS said:

I went to see them in December and though they were great - really tight, the new stuff sounded brilliant and there were plenty of hits along the way.  About half full in Bristol Academy though - probably the quietest I've ever seen it.

I was there! Totally agree, they really were better than the half-empty venue suggested.

I have very little interest in the Other Stage these days, unless it's the occasional Maccabees/Belle And Seb/LCD booking. Mostly pretty average Radio 1 stuff though.

6 hours ago, big__phil said:

I was there! Totally agree, they really were better than the half-empty venue suggested.

I have very little interest in the Other Stage these days, unless it's the occasional Maccabees/Belle And Seb/LCD booking. Mostly pretty average Radio 1 stuff though.

There's usually at least one headliner worth checking out on t'Other but I agree during the day, it's not somewhere I'm interested in.

I've said this plenty of times in the past, but I think the Other Stage is often undeserving of its reputation.  Since the last fallow year, it's had Christine & the Queens, James, New Order, St Paul & the Broken Bones, LCD Soundsystem, PJ Harvey, Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott, Frightened Rabbit, Chemical Brothers, Belle & Sebastian, Future Islands, Interpol, Blondie, Pixies, Manic Street Preachers, Warpaint, Midlake, Massive Attack, Bajafondo, Portishead, Foals, Smashing Pumpkins, Public Image Ltd, Tame Impala, The Hives, Amanda Palmer.... It's true that it's often the go-to place for Radio 1-type acts but that's definitely not all you'll find there.

21 hours ago, Madyaker said:

I saw about 15 minutes of Years and Years last year and I'm ashamed to admit it was actually kind of ok. Happy, un pretentious pop with catchy hooks performed pretty well to a crowd of younguns who were well up for it.

That was probably my low point of 2016. After seeing them in JPT in 2015 and loving them I was so excited to see them live again. The front man Ollie has totally changed the way in which he performs and it totally detracted from the music. Plus the fact it was raining, I was sober as I couldn't take anymore drink by that point and the mud was starting to get to me. It was also a fairly small crowd considering which meant less of an atmosphere.

27 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yup.  I'll still see something on it once or twice a year and of course it's been the scene of some great gigs.  

But it's the bit of the festival that feels least like Glastonbury.  It's the Lammo Stage.

Probably down to the year round mud, the horrible campsite, the constant presence of seagulls, the mostly awful food stalls and the smell of piss and shit. 

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hoo boy.  Where to start?

Let's just say that 6Music's laudable diversity of genres and styles pretty much goes out the window between 4 and 7pm and it turns into XFM circa 1997, with added Catfish.

Always pleasing to see my feelings echoed on Lammo. The best radio station in the UK basically doesn't exist between 4 and 7.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Let's just say that 6Music's laudable diversity of genres and styles pretty much goes out the window between 4 and 7pm and it turns into XFM circa 1997, with added Catfish.

Hmm, think you're being a bit unfair on him here. I take your point on him playing slightly more of his favoured style than the likes of Shaun Keavney or RadMac do, I don't think he does it anymore than Lauren Laverne. Does she get a pass because it's not "indie" she likes to play more of? It's obviously all down to taste but I prefer his show to hers, the stuff she plays that's obviously her picks, tends to be insufferable.  

I don't understand Lammo's Cuttlefish and the Bottlenoses love though. Terrible, terrible band. 

Yeah, it definitely doesnt help that he tends to favour a lot of the worst sorts of Britpop also rans, minor New Wave of New Wave and landfill indie.

But then I like Lauren Laverne. I'm WFH today and it's mostly been great.

I'd also draw a comparison between the way Laverne handled her show on the day that Bowie died and Lammo's perfunctory quick mention while on air when the news about Prince broke.  Fine if he spent the 1980s listening to the Senseless Things and Bogshed instead of Sign O The Times, but he could have shown a bit more interest.

11 minutes ago, The Orgazoid said:

Hmm, think you're being a bit unfair on him here. I take your point on him playing slightly more of his favoured style than the likes of Shaun Keavney or RadMac do, I don't think he does it anymore than Lauren Laverne. Does she get a pass because it's not "indie" she likes to play more of? It's obviously all down to taste but I prefer his show to hers, the stuff she plays that's obviously her picks, tends to be insufferable.  

I don't understand Lammo's Cuttlefish and the Bottlenoses love though. Terrible, terrible band. 

The stuff Lauren plays is more varied and interesting than any of the other daytime DJs, incomparably so to Lamacq.

I remember when Prince died while he was on air. One of his guests read out what sounded like his Wikipedia summary before they went straight back to talking about PJ Harvey. Compare that to Lauren Laverne's show the next day, or everyone the day Bowie died, and he just showed himself as a shit broadcaster with too narrow an interest to deal with something so huge outside of his prepared crate of britpop 7"s.

2 hours ago, RyanS said:

I've said this plenty of times in the past, but I think the Other Stage is often undeserving of its reputation.  Since the last fallow year, it's had Christine & the Queens, James, New Order, St Paul & the Broken Bones, LCD Soundsystem, PJ Harvey, Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott, Frightened Rabbit, Chemical Brothers, Belle & Sebastian, Future Islands, Interpol, Blondie, Pixies, Manic Street Preachers, Warpaint, Midlake, Massive Attack, Bajafondo, Portishead, Foals, Smashing Pumpkins, Public Image Ltd, Tame Impala, The Hives, Amanda Palmer.... It's true that it's often the go-to place for Radio 1-type acts but that's definitely not all you'll find there.

The Sunday this year had one of the best runs I've seen, take Jamie Lawson out and I could have stayed there and I'd have been there probably all day until popping to JP later on. I only went to that tent once now as it's become comfortably the worst one for me, it was never my main one anyway.

56 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Probably down to the year round mud, the horrible campsite, the constant presence of seagulls, the mostly awful food stalls and the smell of piss and shit. 

Personally I like Oxylers and the pasta place is great! 

37 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

So basically, Other is shit unless you like 6Music, which happens to be a fair few just on this forum and a very narrow minded view as to you bar 6Music content there is no point.

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah, it definitely doesnt help that he tends to favour a lot of the worst sorts of Britpop also rans, minor New Wave of New Wave and landfill indie.

But then I like Lauren Laverne. I'm WFH today and it's mostly been great.

I'd also draw a comparison between the way Laverne handled her show on the day that Bowie died and Lammo's perfunctory quick mention while on air when the news about Prince broke.  Fine if he spent the 1980s listening to the Senseless Things and Bogshed instead of Sign O The Times, but he could have shown a bit more interest.

8 minutes ago, Bradders said:

The stuff Lauren plays is more varied and interesting than any of the other daytime DJs, incomparably so to Lamacq.

I remember when Prince died while he was on air. One of his guests read out what sounded like his Wikipedia summary before they went straight back to talking about PJ Harvey. Compare that to Lauren Laverne's show the next day, or everyone the day Bowie died, and he just showed himself as a shit broadcaster with too narrow an interest to deal with something so huge outside of his prepared crate of britpop 7"s.

Admittedly,  I've never been into Prince, but  I thought Lauren Laverne's tribute show was so over the top it was almost sickening, especially considering I could count on one hand the ammount of times I heard Prince mentioned on 6 before he died in all the years I've been listening. 

Again it's down to personal taste. I can understand thinking Lammo's shows are a bit guitar band heavy, but I quite enjoy that, because I tend to enjoy that sort of music more. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all the meats of our cultural stew, and I agree LL plays some interesting stuff, but interesting doesn't always mean enjoyable or good. 

8 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

So basically, Other is shit unless you like 6Music, which happens to be a fair few just on this forum and a very narrow minded view as to you bar 6Music content there is no point.

Not really sure what point you're trying to make here, bud.

If it helps, Lala is currently playing Lazy Line Painter Jane, and the aforementioned Belle & Sebastian is one of the best things I've seen on the Other Stage in recent years.

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not really sure what point you're trying to make here, bud.

If it helps, Lala is currently playing Lazy Line Painter Jane, and the aforementioned Belle & Sebastian is one of the best things I've seen on the Other Stage in recent years.

So why make a point bemoaning all Bar 6Music and then when called up on it saye you don't know what it's about. 

Then you have used B&S as an example who are very much 6Music.

Let us not forget that music is subjective. Yes, there are bands and artists out there that have more technique and spend more time with their craft and there are those that simply buy a song to sing. However, no one has a better taste in music than any other, we simply think we do. 

It's fun to have a bit of banter and rip into your pals for their shocking taste when you see their most listened to songs etc. However, I think sometimes in here it goes past banter and jest and becomes more of a hierarchy of who thinks they are top dog of the musical taste expertise.

Just now, thewayiam said:

So why make a point bemoaning all Bar 6Music and then when called up on it saye you don't know what it's about. 

Then you have used B&S as an example who are very much 6Music.

What are you talking about? Do you even know? 

We were enjoying a bit of healthy debate there and you've bloody ruined it. 

8 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Let us not forget that music is subjective. Yes, there are bands and artists out there that have more technique and spend more time with their craft and there are those that simply buy a song to sing. However, no one has a better taste in music than any other, we simply think we do. 

It's fun to have a bit of banter and rip into your pals for their shocking taste when you see their most listened to songs etc. However, I think sometimes in here it goes past banter and jest and becomes more of a hierarchy of who thinks they are top dog of the musical taste expertise.

Exactly.

Everyone else has rubbish taste expect me. 

Edited by The Orgazoid