Self Confirmed 2017

the wonderwhy

I can't see the Coral opening the Other. I'd like Franz Ferdinand opening the other. They have the back catalogue/hits

I hope FF are on the lineup somewhere either way. Let's not turn this into a derogatory scouse Glasto thread (Manc here) :P

Lucid Dreams, Diggin' it!

Edited by plaskins
P.S. Luid Dreams

11 hours ago, plaskins said:

Haha, exactly the same reason we got tickets (for the support slot). Don't mind Blossoms though, so should be a good day out. 

Ha ha, definatly and such a great venue...the Castlefeild bowl summer gigs have become a must see over the past few years...and this one was a bit better value than the daft money James and Ashcroft etc were charging 

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah they have like a hundred songs or something but we're on about the ones that would be recognised by people who wouldn't list The Distance Inbetween as one of their top albums of the last twelve months. Dreaming of You, Pass It On... In the Morning at a push.

Saw them at a fest in 2010, they didn't play In the Morning then. Seemed to play the majority of their (then) new album and Dreaming of You. Didn't do any engaging with the crowd either, v disappointing band for a casual festival fan

On 1/7/2017 at 8:30 PM, MattDavies__ said:

The Coral were fucking awful when I saw them in Notts last years. 

Seem perfect for the slot after the Other opener, like The Cribs/Blossoms

Saw them just before Christmas, and really enjoyed it. Played a few from the new record to start with, then pretty much a greatest hits set. Can't find the setlist from the gig I went to, but here's one from a few days before: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-coral/2016/liverpool-olympia-liverpool-england-7bfbced4.html

On 1/7/2017 at 8:37 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

I honestly don't see it.  Couple of notches below Charlie and the lads on the Popularity Pole.

Even though it was a good gig, it was far from a sell out. Mid-afternoon Park/JP would be my guess. No way they'll open The Other.

3 minutes ago, DGrant261 said:

Avalon stage Sunday night like Idlewild and The View for the Coral maybe? Can't see them being enough of a draw on the Other Stage anymore and JPT seems to have stopped going for those kind of acts as much. 

The View played the Avalon Stage? That doesn't sound right.

Let's not go overboard here though. They still have a fair bit of popularity - much more so than Idlewild or The View - and could play the Other Stage (or John Peel) in some capacity but they just won't be the grand opener is all.

17 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The View played the Avalon Stage? That doesn't sound right.

Let's not go overboard here though. They still have a fair bit of popularity - much more so than Idlewild or The View - and could play the Other Stage (or John Peel) in some capacity but they just won't be the grand opener is all.

Fair enough, but the point I'm making is those stages don't seem to be making those kind of bookings anymore so it wouldn't surprise me to see the Coral way lower than we'd expect. 

9 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

The view were meant to play William's green a couple of year's ago but didn't turn up. 

That was what I meant

Anyway on the topic of 'Other stage grand opener' is Richard Ashcroft a fair shout?

1 minute ago, DGrant261 said:

Fair enough, but the point I'm making is those stages don't seem to be making those kind of bookings anymore so it wouldn't surprise me to see the Coral way lower than we'd expect. 

When the Other Stage stops booking indie rock acts with a few largely forgotten hits from yesteryear, that'll be the end of the stage itself. :P

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

When the Other Stage stops booking indie rock acts with a few largely forgotten hits from yesteryear, that'll be the end of the stage itself. :P

Other than James, in the slot that will be forever preserved for that type of act, who realistically played it this year that fits your description; newton faulkner is literally the only person I'd give that description to.

The 'indie' they go for is stuff that current at least (eg. Catfish) and the older bands are ones with a much greater deal of enduring popularity and critical appeal (eg. editors) so I don't think it's unfair to say Coral-esque bands are becoming less common on the other stage. 

Just now, DGrant261 said:

Other than James, in the slot that will be forever preserved for that type of act, who realistically played it this year that fits your description; newton faulkner is literally the only person I'd give that description to.

The 'indie' they go for is stuff that current at least (eg. Catfish) and the older bands are ones with a much greater deal of enduring popularity and critical appeal (eg. editors) so I don't think it's unfair to say Coral-esque bands are becoming less common on the other stage. 

I was precisely thinking Editors - if they have enduring popularity and critical acclaim then The Coral surely do too. Also Hurts, Band of Skulls and The Lumineers are trading on brief past glories at this point.

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If they ask Ian Coral whether he'd prefer to play at lunchtime to a largely deserted Other field or at night in a packed Avalon Tent he'd be daft not to pick the latter.

To seasoned Glasto veterans that have forgotten what the Other Stage looks like, maybe. But to bands I think they'd like to carry on trying to play as big a stage as possible. And not one where they'e piled in alongside Athlete and Guillemots.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I was precisely thinking Editors - if they have enduring popularity and critical acclaim then The Coral surely do too. Also Hurts, Band of Skulls and The Lumineers are trading on brief past glories at this point.

Do Hurts have anything that resembles glory at all in their pathetic existence?  I know they had that album that their record label paid to be successful (television adverts between every break, and constant plugs on commercial radio stations) but I'm quite pleased to say that I can't remember a single one of their singles, and when they release new dross, I very rarely see anything about it these days (which isn't the same with the other bands you mention)

Can you tell I'm not a fan?

41 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I saw about 15 minutes of Years and Years last year and I'm ashamed to admit it was actually kind of ok. Happy, un pretentious pop with catchy hooks performed pretty well to a crowd of younguns who were well up for it.

It tells you all you need to know about a band you have watched when the only thing you can remember is the singer had a rather bright rainbow style cloak/coat on.

Mrs P on the other hand had a right good time

Jumping in re: The Coral - I thought that last year's album was the best since their debut. A really good record that deserved a lot more attention.

I went to see them in December and though they were great - really tight, the new stuff sounded brilliant and there were plenty of hits along the way.  About half full in Bristol Academy though - probably the quietest I've ever seen it.

Sadly, your average joe probably cares for 2-3 of the songs and hardly anyone gave the last record the time of day so I think they will be taking lower slots than we would have guessed before the comeback.  

I'd say they are a good shout for 2nd or 3rd on Other like Band of Skulls/Hurts. 

Edited by RyanS