Flaming lips

russycarps

3 hours ago, russycarps said:

Maybe even that nice blackpool place. But they will defo play a few places in the north west before or after festival no6, surely...

In other news, I just saw a few photos from their latest gigs in america. It is utterly absurd to think they'll be doing anything other than headlining. The organisers know what their gigs entail, there is no way they could bring their full show and have it all tidied away in time for another act to follow them. And why would glastonbury want the flaming lips without their full show?

It is park/JP headliner, 100% certain. 

I've seen them at a festival last year and they did not headline. They did a 9 song set and still brought out everything they had. Props and everything.

4 hours ago, russycarps said:

Fair play to them, they are playing all over the country this year. More to come around the festival no 6 date too I reckon. Hopefully another london gig is included.

Really hope they do another London show, couldn't get to the Jan ones. Failing that I may try and get up to Brum. 

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

Really hope they do another London show, couldn't get to the Jan ones. Failing that I may try and get up to Brum. 

I'm doing Brighton on the Tuesday after Glasto now, not sure they'll do London again this year, as others have pointed out there's other areas which have had no gig this year.

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

2 tickets for £50 during ticketmaster's 24 hour flash sale. Hull and Birmingham.

That birmingham venue looks really cool, shame the tickets arent selling. They always manage to sell out in london, I suppose there are more people there though.

Everyone complains when bands only play london venues, but if you people arent going to turn out and watch the bands then you can hardly blame them.

Edited by russycarps

22 minutes ago, russycarps said:

That birmingham venue looks really cool, shame the tickets arent selling. They always manage to sell out in london, I suppose there are more people there though.

Everyone complains when bands only play london venues, but if you people arent going to turn out and watch the bands then you can hardly blame them.

Exactly. These days promoters will have so much info at their finger tips to work out where the best places for a band to tour are. Downloads, web searches, previous ticket sales etc. If bands don't play elsewhere it's because there's not enough demand. 

39 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Tell me about it. We had a fantastic local venue with a great live set up. I spent a lot of time in there and it was excellent but always empty. They closed it down and reopened as a Sports bar. Lots of complaints in the local paper but where the fuck were they when it was open ?

I got tickets to that Rainbow gig in Brum. Thought it was really good value too - Lips and PSB for £35 in an open air venue. I'm very surprised it hasn't sold out.

19 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Tell me about it. We had a fantastic local venue with a great live set up. I spent a lot of time in there and it was excellent but always empty. They closed it down and reopened as a Sports bar. Lots of complaints in the local paper but where the fuck were they when it was open ?

I got tickets to that Rainbow gig in Brum. Thought it was really good value too - Lips and PSB for £35 in an open air venue. I'm very surprised it hasn't sold out.

Yep, on a saturday too in the middle of summer. It couldnt be more perfect. Yes I know the flaming lips arent the biggest band in the world, but birmingham is the second biggest city in the UK, surely there must be a few thousand discerning music fans in a city of that size....and as you say, PSB are pretty big these days too. 

The hull venue looks interesting too. Again on a saturday in summer. £35 a ticket. Not sold out. City of culture? What a joke.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure they'll get a great crowd at Glastonbury, but maybe these uptakes might suggest them being a little earlier in the day (as opposed to headline), whatever stage they're?  I'm only grasping at straws hoping to avoid the friday night clash...

49 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yep, on a saturday too in the middle of summer. It couldnt be more perfect. Yes I know the flaming lips arent the biggest band in the world, but birmingham is the second biggest city in the UK, surely there must be a few thousand discerning music fans in a city of that size....and as you say, PSB are pretty big these days too. 

The hull venue looks interesting too. Again on a saturday in summer. £35 a ticket. Not sold out. City of culture? What a joke.

A lot of those discerning music fans could be at festivals those weekends, particularly the ones from Hull 

27 minutes ago, p.pete said:

I'm sure they'll get a great crowd at Glastonbury, but maybe these uptakes might suggest them being a little earlier in the day (as opposed to headline), whatever stage they're?  I'm only grasping at straws hoping to avoid the friday night clash...

Praying for this too. They appear to be subbing Two Door Cinema Club at Boardmasters, and 3rd down on the 2nd stage at Pukkelpop, so hopefully they're not headlining a stage at G either.

2 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Praying for this too. They appear to be subbing Two Door Cinema Club at Boardmasters, and 3rd down on the 2nd stage at Pukkelpop, so hopefully they're not headlining a stage at G either.

Yeah, if they're on somewhere like JP then they could be big enough to headline, but Other and maybe the could be lower down.  Pyramid seems fairly full for acts placed on Friday already...

2 hours ago, aidenlangan95 said:

2 tickets for £50 during ticketmaster's 24 hour flash sale. Hull and Birmingham.

Thanks for the heads up dude! Just got myself 2 tickets for Birmingham.

With me potentially seeing them at Glastonbury I'd been debating whether to go to this or not but finding out PSB are the support and all for £25, no brainer really.

Plus, if the Lips do end up as part of the likely Friday night omniclash, i'll know I've got this left in my locker.

• 3 weeks later...