Flaming lips

russycarps

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

Fight test isn't a proper album dammit! 

Fair point! 

My mate at work was talking to me about how good the january show was... he is adamant though that I should watch Radiohead if there is a clash.

"You'll never see Radiohead on the Pyramid again will you?"

Its the best argument yet.....

Im determined to see both.

I want a proper flaming lips experience though. Im not gunna get that if they are in the daylight am I?

7 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Fair point! 

My mate at work was talking to me about how good the january show was... he is adamant though that I should watch Radiohead if there is a clash.

"You'll never see Radiohead on the Pyramid again will you?"

Its the best argument yet.....

Im determined to see both.

I want a proper flaming lips experience though. Im not gunna get that if they are in the daylight am I?

Flaming lips are back on top form again in my opinion, after a bit of a dodgy spell during the terror tour. Their last gig was utterly euphoric and sublime. 

Radiohead will play heavily from a pretty dreary new album... 

At a festival with a belly full of booze and whatever else theres really no choice at all in my opinion. 

But you're right, it'll be crap in daylight with half the crowd waiting for the next act. 

If only the lips could close it on the sunday. That would be perfection

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Flaming lips are back on top form again in my opinion, after a bit of a dodgy spell during the terror tour. Their last gig was utterly euphoric and sublime. 

At a festival with a belly full of booze and whatever else theres really no choice at all 

20 minutes ago, russycarps said:

At a festival with a belly full of booze and whatever else theres really no choice at all in my opinion. 

But you're right, it'll be crap in daylight with half the crowd waiting for the next act. 

If only the lips could close it on the sunday. That would be perfection

I hope Radiohead don't play loads of the new album.. It's a good album but I think if you play a festival you play your best hits.. Songs that everyone will know.. Playing your albums for tours not festivals.. 

3 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

I hope Radiohead don't play loads of the new album.. It's a good album but I think if you play a festival you play your best hits.. Songs that everyone will know.. Playing your albums for tours not festivals.. 

I agree, but in 2003 they played shit loads of songs off their new album, as did they in 1997. They are 100% going to do the same again this year...

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

I agree, but in 2003 they played shit loads of songs off their new album, as did they in 1997. They are 100% going to do the same again this year...

Yea maybe but there's been a lot of hype about them playing and the 97 gig so maybe they'll do a replay of that with a few new ones thrown in.. It is 20 years after all and it seems that a lot of bands are doing a 20 year THING lol

Not seen Radiohead in something like 10 years, and my Glasto experience nowadays is about being happy. Radiohead don't fit that. Sure it will be good but not on my 'To Do' despite being there in 2003, my first Glasto & first Radiohead experience. As were The Lips!

Still not convinced I'd want to see RH headline (bit dilemma going on), but the Lips will always take precedence. I'm with Russycarps and a Park headline would be mint! 

Edited by Baby On A Stick

On 31/03/2017 at 1:15 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Does he interact, though?  From memory he mostly just posts pictures of arty happenings in his Oklahoma nightclub going 'YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!'

I tagged him in a pic of their Wilderness gig and he commented saying 'Great pic !!! thank you!!' so, sort of.

15 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

They're only playing 5/6 from it out of 25 song sets, so far on their US tour. This might even be reduced again once they hit festival season.

Maybe even that nice blackpool place. But they will defo play a few places in the north west before or after festival no6, surely...

In other news, I just saw a few photos from their latest gigs in america. It is utterly absurd to think they'll be doing anything other than headlining. The organisers know what their gigs entail, there is no way they could bring their full show and have it all tidied away in time for another act to follow them. And why would glastonbury want the flaming lips without their full show?

It is park/JP headliner, 100% certain. 

16 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The soft bulletin or Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots are the big two.

At war with the Mystics and fight test are well worth checking out too.

I really liked the Lips around the mid to late 90's period, I suppose they were at their commercial peak so that's when I became aware of them. I bought both Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi at the time,however I haven't added anything to the collection since, and haven't listened in a very long time.

I decided with the Glasto excitement starting to seep into my veins I'd listen to both last week.... I'll be honest I wasn't very impressed. I can see now why I stopped being very interested after Yoshimi, as it must have put me right off.

Excepting 3 or 4 tunes I found it all pretty downbeat. Hardly party central like they are being touted as in this thread. Now I'm not too fussed if they clash, though will still go and see if I can, on the strength of the live rep alone.

Edited by ericlered

12 minutes ago, ericlered said:

I really liked the Lips around the mid to late 90's period, I suppose they were at their commercial peak so that's when I became aware of them. I bought both Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi at the time,however I haven't added anything to the collection since, and haven't listened in a very long time.

I decided with the Glasto excitement starting to seep into my veins I'd listen to both last week.... I'll be honest I wasn't very impressed. I can see now why I stopped being very interested after Yoshimi, as it must have put me right off.

Excepting 3 or 4 tunes I found it all pretty downbeat. Hardly party central like they are being touted as in this thread. Now I'm not too fussed if they clash, though will still go and see if I can, on the strength of the live rep alone.

I think you might have missed At War With The Mystics - it's in a similar vein to Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi, if anything less downbeat (although definitely not quite as good). Thereafter, though, you have a point re the recorded output.

However, for the live show they've always kept a core of songs from those 2 big albums. Check the setlist breakdown by album, for shows so far this year:

1   The Soft Bulletin 132
2   Oczy Mlody 77
3   Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots 74
4   At War With the Mystics 56
5   Covers 27
6   Embryonic 16
7   Transmissions From the Satellite Heart 4

57 minutes ago, ericlered said:

they dont play any of the downbeat songs from those albums live. They did a couple of years ago when wayne and steven were going through difficult periods in their personal lives, but now it's back to nothing but upbeat party time!