Flaming lips

russycarps

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

They're subbing TDCC at Boardmasters. Speaking of which, TDCC couldn't even sub Other. Flips 3rd down imo.

Not if the 8-10pm info is accurate, and i think there has to be something to it. The fact they're subbing TDCC in the first place is scandalous, Glastonbury know the pull Lips would have and would give them the respect they deserve as one of the greatest live bands of modern times.

Fatboy Slim did a 90 minute sub set in the JPT last year, so anything is possible really.

41 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Not if the 8-10pm info is accurate, and i think there has to be something to it. The fact they're subbing TDCC in the first place is scandalous, Glastonbury know the pull Lips would have and would give them the respect they deserve as one of the greatest live bands of modern times.

Fatboy Slim did a 90 minute sub set in the JPT last year, so anything is possible really.

Be real now. That clearly isn't their exact time slot and at best its a rough idea of where they are, and if they're third down then at 8pm they'll be there on the Other Stage.

2 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

They're subbing TDCC at Boardmasters. Speaking of which, TDCC couldn't even sub Other. Flips 3rd down imo.

Aye can't see them subbing either. They seemed like a weak headliner in 2010 and their stock has fallen considerably since. Third down for sure (if they're on Other).

2 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Aye as Dental says, they're blatantly not playing 8-10pm and last year on the Friday the 3rd down act was on stage at 8pm. We tried to use these event times to find out what slots acts were playing last year and they proved to either be rough guides or general placeholders. The Flaming Lips subbing Major Lazer on the Other Stage would be a terrible booking. They're definitely not bigger than BMTH, The 1975 and Catfish and the Bottlemen, regardless of how good they are, and if Glastonbury accurately know the pull they have they'll be lower than Other subs. We were pretty much all predicting them as JP headliners, which in general is a lesser slot than Other sub. Neither M83 or Jake Bugg could have subbed Other last year (Sigur Rós obviously could but they were an unusually large JP headliner).

3 minutes ago, Baby On A Stick said:

Is there a precedent of headlining The Other (2010, amazing set!) and then playing again? No bigger now then then, but can't see them going from Headline to sub on the same stage. Sub Pyramid is the same value, yes/no? :unsure:

They'll definitely get a lower slot now than then, and they certainly won't be subbing the Pyramid. No idea if there's a precedent but just don't see anything stopping them doing it.

Yer agreed no bigger set, but a precedent to go from headline a 'main' stage to say tea time on Pyramid? They are a bit of a festive kinda band (great show thing!) I was perplexed by the rumours of a headline in JPT as I don't think they would work in a tent. I think too big for The Park (?) and I thought for a while West Holts maybe but no suggestion of that so I'll keep that to myself. 

23 minutes ago, Baby On A Stick said:

Yer agreed no bigger set, but a precedent to go from headline a 'main' stage to say tea time on Pyramid? They are a bit of a festive kinda band (great show thing!) I was perplexed by the rumours of a headline in JPT as I don't think they would work in a tent. I think too big for The Park (?) and I thought for a while West Holts maybe but no suggestion of that so I'll keep that to myself. 

I make you right here and have to disagree with will.

The normal rules don't apply with the flaming lips at Glastonbury. Never in their existence have they been commercially popular yet they've headlined the new bands tent (now JP tent) in the 90s, subbed the pyramid in 2003 and headlined the other stage in 2010. On paper they've never been anything like big enough to have those slots. They've never even played an arena in this country!

It's daft to compare them to other bigger acts. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, russycarps said:

The normal rules don't apply with the flaming lips at Glastonbury. Never in their existence have they been commercially popular yet they've headlined the new bands tent (now JP tent) in the 90s, subbed the pyramid in 2003 and headlined the other stage in 2010. On paper they've never been anything like big enough to have those slots. They've never even played an arena in this country!

Flaming Lips headlined Bestival in 2010, which is the kind of slot most Other headliners get. Few years later they were subbing it. They're now subbing Boardmasters which is a much smaller fest. They're clearly on a slide as they get further from their commercial peak and older festival goers are replaced by teenagers who've never heard of them.

24 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Flaming Lips headlined Bestival in 2010, which is the kind of slot most Other headliners get. Few years later they were subbing it. They're now subbing Boardmasters which is a much smaller fest. They're clearly on a slide as they get further from their commercial peak and older festival goers are replaced by teenagers who've never heard of them.

The average Glastonbury goer is over 40 years old! Boardmasters is for kiddies.

Time will tell anyway. I'm probably wrong..

33 minutes ago, russycarps said:

The average Glastonbury goer is over 40 years old! Boardmasters is for kiddies.

Time will tell anyway. I'm probably wrong..

I would love you to be right....but the lips are no longer on an upwards trajectory! Unless they drop a surprise mega hit they're slowly dropping down every festival bill.

7 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

I went to Bestival in 2010 but didn't see The Lips. Error. To be honest they weren't even on my radar then, but when you look back at line ups sometimes it highlights how much more you could have seen. 

Anyway this year is happening. Just bought Yoshimi on vinyl to get in the mood. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, nikkic said:

I went to Bestival in 2010 but didn't see The Lips. Error. To be honest they weren't even on my radar then, but when you look back at line ups sometimes it highlights how much more you could have seen. 

Anyway this year is happening. Just bought Yoshimi on vinyl to get in the mood. 

I hate looking back on past lineups. Like when I missed Mark Lanegan for BFMV and Justice for Foo Fighters in one day at Leeds. Even my first Glasto in 14 I made some awful decisions in hindsight.

20 hours ago, russycarps said:

This is what I'm trying to get at, they're a rogue entity. They could take any slot on any stage and do it justice, they're absolutely nailed on guaranteed to put on a great show wherever and whenever they play. I even reckon they could gave subbed Coldplay last year and not died on their arse, the w*nkers down the front who were ignoring Beck, who was putting on a good set regardless, wouldn't have been able to ignore a show like the Lips put on. 

From reading comments on their previous 2003/2010 shows it seems they went down a storm, so it really wouldn't be surprising to hear Glastonbury still hold them in a high regard and will give them a decent slot accordingly.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

FFS, can they do a gig up here please when I can go?

Leeds / liverpool will do if not manchester.

They're playing Birmingham on a Saturday.

Tbf they might tack Liverpool on; they've crept up to 7 gigs now, 3 festivals, 2 gigs earlier this year too obviously. Getting about.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Tbf they might tack Liverpool on; they've crept up to 7 gigs now, 3 festivals, 2 gigs earlier this year too obviously. Getting about.

Im on a stag do.... 

Ive been out of the country, or had something pre booked (sabbath earlier this year) for every gig around here. If they announce one up here before glastonbury, it would mean I dont have to worry about a radiohead clash.

30 minutes ago, t0paz said:

Playing the Colston Hall in Bristol in August. Tickets on sale Friday.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Ooo. I'll be down in Worcester then so halfway between Birmingham and Bristol. I've been to Colston Hall before but not the Birmingham venue. Any thoughts on which would be better?

3 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I live in Brighton.....where they are playing while i'm at Glastonbury. BOOOO! I demand no clash.

You're at Glasto on the Tuesday after the weekend?

17 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Im on a stag do.... 

Ive been out of the country, or had something pre booked (sabbath earlier this year) for every gig around here. If they announce one up here before glastonbury, it would mean I dont have to worry about a radiohead clash.

Hmmm they're closing out FN6 and I believe they produce day tickets there at some point..

I really don't think there'll be a Radiohead clash anyway so you should be fine.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You're at Glasto on the Tuesday after the weekend?

Hmmm they're closing out FN6 and I believe they produce day tickets there at some point..

I really don't think there'll be a Radiohead clash anyway so you should be fine.

I looked for a day ticket for FN6... Ill keep checking. Thanks