Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

The boycott isn't solely cultural.  We're only focusing on it here because Radiohead.  BDS is way wider than just rock bands.  

3 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Why should any band play in the US? What Donald Trump signed yesterday alone will fuck even more lives long term than the Israelis are doing in Palestine. Let alone if we look at Iraq etc. Where does it end? 

Who's called for a boycott of the US?  Which country, specifically, are the US occupying where the occupied people have asked for international solidarity as a means of non-violent resistance to said occupation?

Citing Tibet is bullshit.  It's superficially about the closest example, but Tibetan civic society hasn't decided upon boycott as a course of action. They encourage people to visit.  That's their call.  If they'd called for a similar boycott and rock bands were playing Lhasa left right and centre I'd voice the same objections.

I don't think I've called Radiohead hypocrites.  My view is that if they truly have done their research on it and hummed and hawed about the best course of action then their rationale - admittedly as expressed in an interview and not in a written statement where they've had time to compose their thoughts - is unworthy of them.

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The boycott isn't solely cultural.  We're only focusing on it here because Radiohead.  BDS is way wider than just rock bands.  

Who's called for a boycott of the US?  Which country, specifically, are the US occupying where the occupied people have asked for international solidarity as a means of non-violent resistance to said occupation?

Citing Tibet is bullshit.  It's superficially about the closest example, but Tibetan civic society hasn't decided upon boycott as a course of action. They encourage people to visit.  That's their call.  If they'd called for a similar boycott and rock bands were playing Lhasa left right and centre I'd voice the same objections.

I don't think I've called Radiohead hypocrites.  My view is that if they truly have done their research on it and hummed and hawed about the best course of action then their rationale - admittedly as expressed in an interview and not in a written statement where they've had time to compose their thoughts - is unworthy of them.

Music transcends. The Dude Abounds. Bands must play anywhere, everywhere.

Cranes in the Sky. I'm not partial to Radiohead.

Sad to see this thread on page 3, so thought i'd get it talking again.

First Radiohead gig in over a month on Tuesday, so post your predicted setlists; 1 point for every song you predict correctly and 3 points for correctly predicting a song in the right place in the setlist.

Yeah I know it's lame but this is the sort of lame thing that amuses me ^_^

Here's my attempt:

1. Daydreaming
  2. Airbag
  3. Ful Stop
  4. 15 Step
  5. Bloom
  6. The National Anthem
  7. Let Down
  8. Identikit
  9. Burn The Witch
  10. Separator
  11. I Might Be Wrong
  12. Where I End And You Begin
  13. Myxomatosis
  14. Just
  15. The Numbers
  16. Idioteque
  17. Everything In Its Right Place

18. I Promise
  19. Bodysnatchers
  20. Present Tense
  21. Paranoid Android
  22. The Tourist

23. Reckoner
  24. Karma Police

3 hours ago, Time Being said:

So what is everyone's plan now that the schedule is out? I will almost definitely be watching the XX so hoping I will be able to get a nice spot for them into Radiohead. Maybe the much-touted back of inside barrier, but will have to play by ear...

I'm definitely seeing The xx as I want to guarantee a good spot. I'll probably put a halt to drinking with about 20 minutes left of The xx, have a final piss and then maybe grab a few more ciders and try to head to the front.

I'm definitely expecting it to be the smallest of the three headliner crowds, but I want to be far enough towards the front to be alongside fellow attendees who will nod genially as I loudly weep upon hearing Fake Plastic Trees. 

I can never be arsed getting to bands early at festivals. We will be leaving Lorde's set early to get there before they come on, but I'm quite happy to be halfway back. Looking forward to it though. My ideal spot will depend more on there not being knobheads around me than on how close I am! The two things do not necessarily correlate in my experience.

I'll be there royal blood as well as The xx so hopefully I can get right up the front. It's gonna be several hours without access to a toilet so I'll probably stick to vodka and not drink much until half way through the set. I want to be nice and smashed by the end though in preparation for south east corner shenanigans. I reckon I'll be on my own too because the rest of my group won't want to see royal blood or Radiohead. I think it's better that way though.

4 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

It's what, 8 years since they last played it? If they play it tomorrow my anticipation will go into overdrive.

Yep, last played it at Reading in 2009. I reckon it's possible  it'll get played at some point this year, they've had it written on setlists but then played something else instead.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yep, last played it at Reading in 2009. I reckon it's possible  it'll get played at some point this year, they've had it written on setlists but then played something else instead.

Think this is just because they always had something written down instead of Creep for whatever reason. I don't think they ever planned to play Just.

3 hours ago, Time Being said:

So what is everyone's plan now that the schedule is out? I will almost definitely be watching the XX so hoping I will be able to get a nice spot for them into Radiohead. Maybe the much-touted back of inside barrier, but will have to play by ear...

I'll be watching The xx but will be turning up not long before they're on because of Angel Olsen. Will try and position myself at the side for The xx and move into the front section once they finish

7 minutes ago, alexc said:

While scanning through the EE App yesterday, I saw 'Talk Show Ghost' on the Small World Stage on Friday midday, and for about 30 seconds I thought I had hit the motherload :sorry:

I thought the same with "Oui Ja Yes" in the Rabbit Hole at 2am Friday night (it's a slogan on a t-shirt Thom once wore). But turns out they are real and have played before.

So it seems roger waters did try and have a conversation with thom yorke privately about crossing the BDF picket line before thom went to the press. Thom's petulant response is perfectly in keeping with someone who is not used to being questioned, but who deep down knows they've made a grave error but are too proud/arrogant to admit it. 

Very disappointed by radiohead over this matter.

I guess it doesnt help that roger waters at age 73 has just put out a better album than a moon shaped pool :lol: 

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/roger-waters-responds-to-thom-yorke-over-israel-controversy-w485780

Edited by russycarps

13 hours ago, arcade fireman said:

Flying to Oslo tomorrow and getting a train to Stockholm on Thursday. Hoping for some deep cuts! 

Same here man. Waiting in Stansted now. 

When they open with Airbag shit is going to kick off. 

If they open with Daydreaming shit will also kick off.

8 minutes ago, russycarps said:

So it seems roger waters did try and have a conversation with thom yorke privately about crossing the BDF picket line before thom went to the press. Thom's petulant response is perfectly in keeping with someone who is not used to being questioned, but who deep down knows they've made a grave error but are too proud/arrogant to admit it. 

I guess it doesnt help that roger waters at age 73 has just put out a better album than a moon shaped pool :lol: 

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/roger-waters-responds-to-thom-yorke-over-israel-controversy-w485780

Thom Yorke looking a right tit in the public arena? No way!?

Remember, this is a man whos fanbase exists almost exclusively of blokes who sit down when they go for a piss.

30 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Who is to say that Thom legitimately didn't get his message. He certainly doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would ignore a worldwide political debate, let alone from Waters!

2 hours ago, The60ftOctopus said:

Who is to say that Thom legitimately didn't get his message. He certainly doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would ignore a worldwide political debate, let alone from Waters!

I dunno you could be right, but I can sort of see why thom might not want to be preached to by roger. As much as I love him (roger waters), he is quite snooty. Just ignoring the email than going to the press is pretty poor behaviour and doesnt seem that likely. I hope you are right. Roger is 73, perhaps he screwed up the email address or something!