Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

12 minutes ago, jparx said:

How to Disappear Completely will be up your alley! 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

they kind of steered away from the straight up ballads after The Bends, but Bullet Proof... I Wish I Was from the same album is one you might like (although they don't play it live). later ballad-esque songs they've done take a different turn, but try Street Spirit (Fade Out), How to Disappear Completely, Exit Music (For A Film), The Tourist, Pyramid Song, Give Up The Ghost and Daydreaming (and probably loads more i've missed)

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Also, listen to Reckoner and Weird Fishes. Just do it. :P

Thanks JP / FF, I've got some serious catching up to do. 

Guess, I left myself wide open to the whole 'Yellowgate' thing! :D

5 minutes ago, DaveyGee said:

Thanks JP / FF, I've got some serious catching up to do. 

Guess, I left myself wide open to the whole 'Yellowgate' thing! :D

You're welcome! Wish I could experience those tunes for the first time again. You're in for a treat!

3 hours ago, DaveyGee said:

Late to races with Radiohead I'm afraid (I Know I know!!!), BUT......I am absolutely loving Fake Plastic Trees!

Can someone give me recommendations for similar tracks, i.e. soulful, moody, melodic such as FPT.

If i get to hear just FPT at the Pyramid then this alone would make it worthwhile for this Radiohead newbie.

Cheers all.

they/thom first played this in 1995 and then it just officially on the album this year

On 21/10/2016 at 11:06 AM, arcade fireman said:

Am I the only one who finds The Daily Mail a bit overrated? I groaned a bit when they played it on this recent tour. 

Yes it took up precious setlist space on that first night in Amsterdam, as did Videotape. I don't think it'a  ny coincidence that they were immediately dropped from sets for the whole of the rest of the tour.

We arguably had the worst setlist of the tour night 1, and the best on night 2.

On 21/10/2016 at 4:12 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I forgot about Talk Show Host, but they don't seem to know how to end it.  Spectre is alright, but not as good as everyone says.  The Harry Patch song is quite powerful actually.  So that's two - SuperCollider and Harry Patch (In Memory Of) that's up there with the album tracks.

I've obviously forgotten some - it's harsh to say none of them are as good as the album tracks - but in general, I really don't rate most of the singles/b-sides, even those listed above.  To me they would all be relatively weak album tracks, although admittedly not the weakest.

Or maybe I've just not listened to them enough.

Talk Show Host sounded unbelievable this tour with the two drummers pounding during the extended outro.

Both Polyethylene and Pearly* could have easily been on OK Computer, they are that good. (both of them tossed away on one of the Paranoid Android singles)

It still annoys me how Down is the New Up managed to miss the final cut for In Rainbows as well but they didn't think it fitted the overall vibe of the album I think.

On 21/10/2016 at 10:31 PM, Mezhyp1 said:

I wonder if come next year it being 20 years of OK Computer/1997 GF will have a baring effect on their setlist. It wasn't something i had thought about, but a friend just suggested it and it makes sense 

Already has to be fair, they were playing four,five or even six off it at times this year. In 2012 you were lucky if you got more than one or two.

35 minutes ago, ericlered said:

Yes it took up precious setlist space on that first night in Amsterdam, as did Videotape. I don't think it'a  ny coincidence that they were immediately dropped from sets for the whole of the rest of the tour.

Yeah videotape does nothing for me either.

27 minutes ago, ericlered said:

It still annoys me how Down is the New Up managed to miss the final cut for In Rainbows as well but they didn't think it fitted the overall vibe of the album I think.

Yep, videotape out, down is the new up in!

41 minutes ago, ericlered said:

We arguably had the worst setlist of the tour night 1, and the best on night 2.

Daily Mail is terrible, and I was a bit annoyed they played it, but Videotape is beautiful. 

They were obviously really nervous for night 1 but it was still a great gig. Roundhouse was better though. 

On 24/10/2016 at 5:05 PM, Kizzie said:

I'm with you Scruffy, Grace is wonderful, it's up there in my favourites of all time.

I'm not sure about the middle class and the marketing man's dream stuff,  He's the son of the mighty Tim Buckley after all, and although Tim died when Jeff was quite young I'm sure he must have been influenced/ shaped by that.  He sounds like his dad, plus his dad od'ing so young must have had an impact on his music I reckon.

Grace was brilliant upon release, and it's still brilliant now, what a fucking voice. Just because he may have come to the attention of many after his death, particularly with his stunning version of Hallelujah, there were plenty of us who were fans from the get go. The day I read of his drowning I was just as upset as when I heard of Kurt Cobains passing. Both huge talents sadly missed.

If anyone has any doubts whatsoever of the man's raw talent they should listen to the Live at Sine Cafe, recorded in NYC; from the days before he even put a band together to record Grace. There is every chance he would have gone on to have had as equally successful,eclectic and experimental a back catalogue as Radiohead. No wonder Thom Yorke was in awe of him.

Edited by ericlered

43 minutes ago, ericlered said:

Grace was brilliant upon release, and it's still brilliant now, what a fucking voice. Just because he may have come to the attention of many after his death, particularly with his stunning version of Hallelujah, there were plenty of us who were fans from the get go. The day I read of his drowning I was just as upset as when I heard of Kurt Cobains passing. Both huge talents sadly missed.

If anyone has any doubts whatsoever of the man's raw talent they should listen to the Live at Sine Cafe, recorded in NYC; from the days before he even put a band together to record Grace. There is every chance he would have gone on to have had as equally successful,eclectic and experimental a back catalogue as Radiohead. No wonder Thom Yorke was in awe of him.

My brother showed me grace when I was younger. I used to be infatuated by it. Bloody gorgeous album. He may not have been everyone's cup of tea but he was undeniably talented. At the very least, he helped Thom to create the version of FPT that we know today. 

15 minutes ago, jparx said:

What's with The Daily Mail hate? It isn't their best by any means, but it's a decent little tune.

I think you answered your own question there. It's ok. I don't hate it by any means. It just took up a space in the setlist that night, which on other nights was taken by songs that were much much better.

Snap for Videotape, which is a shame because that song was pretty special when they started playing it back in 2006 but seemed to have all the life and soul sucked out of it by time it was recorded for In Rainbows.

Edited by ericlered

From the ME in Wales dealy bob in the other thread:

Speaking of his favourite performances, he said: "That's a difficult one. Radiohead had one of my favourites when they played in '97 - that was voted the best gig in 50 years or rock 'n' roll, and they are coming back."

Michael gets it B)

3 minutes ago, Swieve said:

1.  The Bends

2.  Hail To The Thief

3.  In Rainbows

4.  Moon Shaped Pool  

5.  I Might Be Wrong

6.  OK Computer

7.  Kid A

8.  Pablo Honey

9.  Amnesiac

10. King Of Limbs

I can't even begin to fathom the thinking behind this!

But fair play to you Sir/Madam for the most mental list yet!

It might be my age and because I've been listening to them since the beginning, my flatmate in uni had The Drill EP.  He lost interest around Kid A but I stayed with them, even if I wasn't sure of their direction.  I imagine that many of those who got into the band post 2001 could never fairly judge the merits of Pablo Honey. As debuts go it was pretty solid if uninspiring. 

The Bends however was a serious improvement and, imo, is their least patchy album.  That is why it gets top spot. The order from top to bottom is more an indicator of number of patchy tracks on the album.  OK Computer and Kid A are both guilty of having some real highs and the rest filler.

I could never understand the hype behind OK Computer when The Bends was so superior.  OK Computer could have been so much better.  If you want mental, this would have been my choice of tracks

Airbag

Paranoid Android

Exit Music

Polyethlyene Pt 1& 2

Fitter Happier

Palo Alto

Climbing Up The Walls

Pearly

No Surprises

Lucky

The Tourist

That would been a better album imo

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Swieve said:

It might be my age and because I've been listening to them since the beginning, my flatmate in uni had The Drill EP.  He lost interest around Kid A but I stayed with them, even if I wasn't sure of their direction.  I imagine that many of those who got into the band post 2001 could never fairly judge the merits of Pablo Honey. As debuts go it was pretty solid if uninspiring. 

The Bends however was a serious improvement and, imo, is their least patchy album.  That is why it gets top spot. The order from top to bottom is more an indicator of number of patchy tracks on the album.  OK Computer and Kid A are both guilty of having some real highs and the rest filler.

I could never understand the hype behind OK Computer when The Bends was so superior.  OK Computer could have been so much better.  If you want mental, this would have been my choice of tracks

Airbag

Paranoid Android

Exit Music

Polyethlyene Pt 1& 2

Fitter Happier

Palo Alto

Climbing Up The Walls

Pearly

No Surprises

Lucky

The Tourist

Looking for Let Down like

http://i.imgur.com/j51uHm1.gif

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Swieve said:

Airbag

Paranoid Android

Exit Music

Polyethlyene Pt 1& 2

Fitter Happier

Palo Alto

Climbing Up The Walls

Pearly

No Surprises

Lucky

The Tourist

you're bonkers, but fair play to you!

I feel my list is somewhat, predictable...

1. Kid A

2. In Rainbows

3. OK Computer

4. Amnesiac

5. The Bends

6. A Moon Shaped Pool

7. Hail to the Thief

8. King of Limbs

9. Pablo Honey

If you put Pablo Honey in an alt-rock time capsule (it may well be in some time capsules waiting to be opened?) it's a pretty solid album. If they had stuck to drums and guitars formula, it might well be top of the list. Compare it to what came after, it's just not very interesting when compared with the rest.

I usually stray away from lists, for many reasons, I'm 28, so missed them when the albums were released and got into them around OK Computer, my mum brought it for me on cassette. I was a terrible travel sick traveller in cars, and had an 'incident' with my bag of tapes and was sick in the bag :( ruining the tape. Hope no one was eating.. I listened to the cassette a lot. When I started secondary school in 99, I was running the risk of not being cool. No one listened to guitar bands let alone Radiohead when you're 11! People preferred Oasis and The Stereophonic - they were 'cooler' than Radiohead. OK Computer is often top of my list for that reason. I remembering listening and being amazed at how awesome it was. Exit Music (for a film) is still one of my favourites, it's such a touching song, it's beautiful. OK Computer is a record that makes me feel human. It takes me to darker parts of my soul. Extreme, I know. Heck, I think I've changed my mind on my list...

None of you asked for that. I'm sorry!

Edited by sheffieldlady
  • Upvote 2