Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

Confession time - I know very little about Radiohead apart from watching Mr Yorke at his secret set at the Park (amazing) and then Radiohead at the Park (not so awesome but I don't know why), and I was in Heaven when he dj'd and jumped off the stage and danced with us

Where should I start with albums to get me into them?

4 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Confession time - I know very little about Radiohead apart from watching Mr Yorke at his secret set at the Park (amazing) and then Radiohead at the Park (not so awesome but I don't know why), and I was in Heaven when he dj'd and jumped off the stage and danced with us

In Rainbows and OK Computer. Kid A is almost as good as those two for me but the other two are definitely a better starting point. Those two albums also contain Let Down, Weird Fishes and Reckoner, so yeah.

27 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

If you're planning on seeing them at glastonbury, go for a moon shaped pool, the king of limbs live from the basement, in rainbows and ok computer.

On 10/21/2016 at 2:14 PM, russycarps said:

but the festivals they've just played at were full of festival friendly greatest hits...

...in line with setlists for the rest of the tour. This tour has been festival friendly greatest hits, much more so than the 2011/12 tour was.

40 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I'm in a similar boat FF, except I'd drfted away from them after OK Computer. I've just bitten the bullet and downloaded all their albums and going from one end to the other!

I've already confessed my sins on this very thread, but I'm sure someone will explode when I confess to only having listened to Kid A and In Rainbows for the first time over the last few weeks, and Amnesiac for the first time this weekend!

9 minutes ago, russycarps said:

If you're planning on seeing them at glastonbury, go for a moon shaped pool, the king of limbs live from the basement, in rainbows and ok computer.

Ditto. Id echo Russys suggestion. Probably depends on what sort of music u normally listen to though and where. The first time I heard the bends just via normal stereo walking round the office I just didn't get it at all. It was only when I started listening in the car everything fell into place.

1 minute ago, glastobuds said:

Ditto. Id echo Russys suggestion. Probably depends on what sort of music u normally listen to though and where. The first time I heard the bends just via normal stereo walking round the office I just didn't get it at all. It was only when I started listening in the car everything fell into place.

yeah and I reckon they'll play two songs at most from the bends at glastonbury, if that.

Buckley's Grace has some wonderful songs on it, but I prefer Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk, even though it's an unfinished album. 'Morning Theft' is the best song he ever did, in my humble opinion.

I agree that he is much more popular and received much more exposure because of his untimely death. The music press do love a tragedy. I'd never heard of him when he was alive.

Edit: and Kid A is my favourite Radiohead album, if anyone was interested to know...

Edited by Troop Dogg

28 minutes ago, russycarps said:

yeah and I reckon they'll play two songs at most from the bends at glastonbury, if that.

They will definitely do Street Spirit. I also think they will almost certainly do one out of The Bends, Planet Telex, My Iron Lung, Just and Fake Plastic Trees. 

11 minutes ago, jparx said:

They will definitely do Street Spirit. I also think they will almost certainly do one out of The Bends, Planet Telex, My Iron Lung, Just and Fake Plastic Trees. 

I'd agree with this, with the exception of Just. They haven't played it yet this year. They could of course introduce it for next year's tour.

8 minutes ago, smwatson said:

I'd agree with this, with the exception of Just. They haven't played it yet this year. They could of course introduce it for next year's tour.

I think the fact they haven't played it yet actually makes it more likely to be honest! They're bound to throw in some more different tracks for next year and Just would be high up the list. It was on a few set lists this year, albeit not played, so it's obviously in their mind.

Just as the opening song for the final encore would be awesome. Or the opening track altogether!

24 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think the fact they haven't played it yet actually makes it more likely to be honest! They're bound to throw in some more different tracks for next year and Just would be high up the list. It was on a few set lists this year, albeit not played, so it's obviously in their mind.

Just as the opening song for the final encore would be awesome. Or the opening track altogether!

Just, Nice Dream, Where I End And You Begin & I Might Be Wrong are their "sound-checked but not played" songs for the 2016 tour. Would love any of them to be brought into rotation next year. 

3 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Grace is a brilliant album and you naysayers can go bollox. 

I'm with you Scruffy, Grace is wonderful, it's up there in my favourites of all time.

I'm not sure about the middle class and the marketing man's dream stuff,  He's the son of the mighty Tim Buckley after all, and although Tim died when Jeff was quite young I'm sure he must have been influenced/ shaped by that.  He sounds like his dad, plus his dad od'ing so young must have had an impact on his music I reckon.

38 minutes ago, smwatson said:

Just, Nice Dream, Where I End And You Begin & I Might Be Wrong are their "sound-checked but not played" songs for the 2016 tour. Would love any of them to be brought into rotation next year. 

Great set of tunes there. I'd like to see all of them come in to the fold!

3 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

Hey, Scruffylove,  Fan is a bit strong, I find one tends to grow out of Radiohead no?

Is it not the opposite? Maybe you out grow the older records, but albums like Amnesiac have grown on me as I've got older. 

Look at this for a bonkers setlist. Osaka 2008:

Reckoner

Optimistic

There There

15 Step

All I Need

You and Whose Army?

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

The Gloaming

Videotape

Morning Bell

Faust Arp

No Surprises

Jigsaw Falling Into Place

Idioteque

The National Anthem

Nude

Bodysnatchers

Encore:

Airbag

Knives Out

Just

Where I End and You Begin

Planet Telex

Encore 2:

Cymbal Rush

(Thom Yorke song) (Aborted; "Supercollider" and " Go Slowly" were listed as alternates in this spot)

Fog

Karma Police

Everything in Its Right Place