Headliner predictions 2017

swede

22 minutes ago, sunnydaysblue said:

It was panic attack central

Interesting that it was bad. We had the 12 year old with us so we were back by one of the stacks for safety, at least it would have been safe if he hadnt got the full force of a load of confetti in the face.

Anyway, the field the next day wasnt too bad, after Beyonce it was the worst I have ever seen it. 

That should be the proper way to judge a headliner- the state of the field when the recyclers turn up the next morning at 6am.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's going on?

Is Ed Sheeran confirmed or something?

I'd rather ignore the ginger tramp (is he the one Rickie Kaiser Chief w*nked off to get famous?) at the festival than that distended ballbag of spume Robbie Williams.  

At least Ed is sort of deserving of a spot. 

29 minutes ago, Woffy said:

What's going on?

I'd rather ignore the ginger tramp (is he the one Rickie Kaiser Chief w*nked off to get famous?) at the festival than that distended ballbag of spume Robbie Williams.  

This morning Ed Sheeran was speaking to Scott Mills on Radio 1, Scott Mills asked if Ed was bringing any guests to Glastonbury, to which Ed replies "I don't know what you're talking about" even though he obviously did.

39 minutes ago, Woffy said:

What's going on?

Speaking of which, I used to go to the same university as the drummer from kaiser chiefs and one of my friends from those days tells a story about ricky Wilson being involved in some 5 knuckle shuffle action with another chap on the sofa of his shared house. Not sure if ricky was the w*nker or w*nkee mind.

5 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

This morning Ed Sheeran was speaking to Scott Mills on Radio 1, Scott Mills asked if Ed was bringing any guests to Glastonbury, to which Ed replies "I don't know what you're talking about" even though he obviously did.

Ah ok. 

Thanks Alex. Not least for saving me having to listen to Radio 1. 

12 minutes ago, rubenz said:

Speaking of which, I used to go to the same university as the drummer from kaiser chiefs and one of my friends from those days tells a story about ricky Wilson being involved in some 5 knuckle shuffle action with another chap on the sofa of his shared house. Not sure if ricky was the w*nker or w*nkee mind.

I know which one he is now. 

Shoot me down. I think Ed is potentially as bad, or strange, a choice of headliner as Mumford and Sons. Not that I'm bothered by his potential booking, Just a bit underwhelming. I read on wiki that he was 27th richest celeb or something. Guess he has the mainstream by the balls, I don't want Glasto turning into V fest :lol:

This was the funniest thing I have read on wiki for a while:

"In November 2016, Sheeran had to have stitches on his right cheek after an accident at a party held at the home of Princess Beatrice at Royal Lodge, Windsor in Berkshire. Singer-songwriter James Blunt was also at the party and joked that he would love a knighthood, at which point Beatrice jokingly said she could arrange it and fetched a ceremonial sword. Blunt got down on one knee while Beatrice held the sword above him and said ‘arise Sir James', before she accidentally swung the sword over her shoulder and caught Sheeran"

Just a shame she didn't accidentally finish him off! Posh twats and their party games, eh? 

40 minutes ago, plaskins said:

Shoot me down. I think Ed is potentially as bad, or strange, a choice of headliner as Mumford and Sons.

You're forgetting that outside of the bubble of this forum, and other music snobs on social media, Mumford & Sons aren't generally considered a bad or strange headliner. Especially not in 2013 - they might be in 2017.

As far as I can tell, they got a decent sized crowd (smaller than the Stones the night before, but larger than any headliner the following year) in the field, and got very good TV numbers. I assume most of the people who went to see them enjoyed themselves - most of the complaints about them both then and now seem to be from people who went elsewhere. I had to leave on the Sunday night and missed seeing a headliner, but I saw the TV footage and they looked OK - certainly nothing special, but not out of place either.

4 hours ago, incident said:

You're forgetting that outside of the bubble of this forum, and other music snobs on social media, Mumford & Sons aren't generally considered a bad or strange headliner. Especially not in 2013 - they might be in 2017.

As far as I can tell, they got a decent sized crowd (smaller than the Stones the night before, but larger than any headliner the following year) in the field, and got very good TV numbers. I assume most of the people who went to see them enjoyed themselves - most of the complaints about them both then and now seem to be from people who went elsewhere. I had to leave on the Sunday night and missed seeing a headliner, but I saw the TV footage and they looked OK - certainly nothing special, but not out of place either.

I thought they were a bit out of place and I liked them, there was something not quite right and like if they were the sub it would have been much more fitting. I did see them two weeks later at T mind and it was a different case.

I for one will be quite happy with Ed as a headliner and I think there will be a lot of other people who will too. There are not many other artists who could sell out 3 nights at Wembley and perform on their own without a band but just a guitar and a loop pedal. He has worked his socks off to become a major artist in a short time including playing loads of gigs ( must have appeared 8 times at Glastonbury that first year ). His music is popular ( like Adele ), people will be able to sing along and know the songs and he appeals to a wide audience- I expect the pyramid stage to be well packed. I like to see a mix of stuff at Glastonbury- new music, old music, stuff I can sing along or dance to or just listen to from smaller stages to the pyramid- and if Ed Sheeran isn't your cup of tea then I expect there will be loads of other options- that's why it isn't all about the headliners on one stage. I do expect a large crowd and it will be another Glastonbury moment if he does headline, just as Radiohead will be ( my best moment in 2003) :) 

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The difference is that - after a period of meteoric success - Mumford and the lads went off the boil quite quickly and their popularity didn't sustain.

Which is their own fault for abandoning their USP, Glastonbury weren't to know they were planning that. And to be fair even then Wilder Mind still went platinum and they still sold out a massive arena tour on the back of it, they're still roughly headliner level, as demonstrated by how they've since headlined Reading, Big Weekend and Hyde Park. They're now more of a 2014-size headliner than one that didn't look out of place alongside Arctic Monkeys on a poster, but still a headliner

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Which is their own fault for abandoning their USP, Glastonbury weren't to know they were planning that. And to be fair even then Wilder Mind still went platinum and they still sold out a massive arena tour on the back of it, they're still roughly headliner level, as demonstrated by how they've since headlined Reading, Big Weekend and Hyde Park. They're now more of a 2014-size headliner than one that didn't look out of place alongside Arctic Monkeys on a poster, but still a headliner

I think it was the fact that it wasn't unique and was no longer a selling point that they abandoned it. I suppose they at least made a fist of being a stadium rock band instead of going down with the heycore thing. 

In hindsight, it's impressive that Glastonbury took the chance on the only year they were an appropriate, contemporary headliner. Same might end up happening to Sheeran but at this point he's definitely a 2013 Mumfords rather than a 2015 one.

I do enjoy reading the "xxxxxxx aren't big enough to headline" from certain posters on here. Mumford were prime to headline that year & so is Sheeran, if not more so.

Live in your non-Radio 1 bubble all you like but there is some utter nonsense posted about headliner "worthy" acts.

IMO The Who has been the shittest booking since I started going in 2010 (I won't count Gorillaz) 

Mumfords weren't really credible headliners in 2013. They had one big debut album but while their second album sold a shit load initially (as expected when the previous album was a hit), it wasn't really particularly well received even by mainstream standards. Second single from the album didn't even make the top 100.

And this is where critical acclaim should come into it - Glasto has always had quality control and been about more than just whats big in the charts - your average Glasto goer will be more discerning than just having Radio 1 tastes - though less so than on here. A band on their second album would be far more forgivable were they at least critically acclaimed to tip the scales.

Ed however is certainly big enough to headline, as bland and uninspiring as his music actually is. 

8 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Mumfords weren't really credible headliners in 2013. They had one big debut album but while their second album sold a shit load initially (as expected when the previous album was a hit), it wasn't really particularly well received even by mainstream standards. Second single from the album didn't even make the top 100.

And this is where critical acclaim should come into it - Glasto has always had quality control and been about more than just whats big in the charts - your average Glasto goer will be more discerning than just having Radio 1 tastes - though less so than on here. A band on their second album would be far more forgivable were they at least critically acclaimed to tip the scales.

Ed however is certainly big enough to headline, as bland and uninspiring as his music actually is. 

Credible and critical acclaim goes out of the window when you're as big as Mumfords were at the time of them headlining. Seems odd looking back now but for a short period in 2013 they were the hottest band in the world, and Glastonbury got them at perfect time (or worst, depending on how you look at it, as I doubt they would've been booked in any of the following years or will be ever again)