Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

True, but 3 years is a long time and general turnover in the audience will still leave a substantial number of folk there who've never seen him before.

The least, I'd say.  The Ed and The Head at least have a bit of scarcity value to them.  Supply and demand.

Radiohead are playing every festival going this year, as they did last year, and have headlined twice before.

Ed played to a huge crowd in 2014.

At least the Foos have a "we owe you a gig" attached to their performance. 

20 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Adele's crowd was big - but that big?  Dunno if it was substantially more sizable than, say, Kasabian or Coldplay the next evening.

It was fairly big. I walked from the left of the stage as we look at it towards the sound desk on the right all the way round the back path and it took 5-6 songs to get just below the viewing platform. Got comfy for Skyfall whenever that was. 

A lot of that was down to chair c**ts though.

Edited by The Nal

9 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I think Adele's crowd was substantially bigger than Kasabian and I don't think it will be the same crowd as Ed's.

Using me as an unscientific example I was looking forward to seeing Adele, knowing that it would be a Glastonbury Moment. Ed Sheeran on the other hand will be avoided like the plague - well not Kasabian levels of plague so maybe like a bad dose of flu.

Some Pyramid headliners can coax old-school Glastonbury people down from the trees and some can't. 

Ed Sheeran being likened to "a bad dose of flu" is definitely something that could catch on

Edited by SwedgeAntilles
Apologies for unintended pun

7 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Ed Sheeran will get a big crowd. Biggest of the headliners.

Sad, but probably true

I doubt he'll draw as big a crowd as the Foo Fighters to be honest. Probably won't be close either.

He's easy to compare to Adele because he's a big pop star and everything but he doesn't have the same rarity or folk going to see him out of curiosity - people know what to expect really. And then there seems to be a lot of Glasto love for the big radio rock bands and Foo Fighters are a nice friendly one for all the family.

Edited by dentalplan

46 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I doubt he'll draw as big a crowd as the Foo Fighters to be honest. Probably won't be close either.

He's easy to compare to Adele because he's a big pop star and everything but he doesn't have the same rarity or folk going to see him out of curiosity - people know what to expect really. And then there seems to be a lot of Glasto love for the big radio rock bands and Foo Fighters are a nice friendly one for all the family.

this is a joke, right?

Ed Sheeran is one of the biggest acts on the planet at the moment. Foo Fighters will get a pretty good crowd, similar to Muse's probably, but he'll easily have a bigger one.

Foo Fighters certainly aren't rare, it's like they never stop touring festivals and outdoor gigs in the UK. I wouldn't say they're a nice friendly one for all the family either really, that description is far more applicable to Ed.

Edited by ghostdancer1

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

They still went down great though and had a huge crowd. 

That I don't dispute, but you could put them on again this year and they'd draw a big crowd. To me, it was too much, regardless of who it is.

I can't stand them which may saw what I think. I still prefer them to Red Ed though.

56 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Ed played in 2014 though. After Dolly, 3rd from the top of the bill in front of one of the largest crowds ever in that field. So a lot of people have seen him or chose not to already. 

There were a lot more people there for Ed than for Arcade Fire of Metallica who actually headlined. 

Looked, erm, ok.

Funny that the Foo Fighters are the most "special" of the three headliners this year. 

I think it's hard to judge the crowd there, particularly as it was locals day. A huge number of that crowd got their 'spot' for Dolly in the sun and were staying put for the evening. The picnic blankets and chairs were out in big numbers come 4pm and they weren't shifting for the day. Personally I think that slot is/was perfect for Ed - final day, sunny evening, inoffensive bland music, no expectations as a headline.

Though as I'm a grumpy old bastard, I'm always cynical towards acts who have to do pre-planned audience choreography for songs. It's all a bit 'organised fun' for me.

12 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

It depends on whether people think he can bring the spectacle which is where people misunderstood Adele last year and Coldplay to an extent.

If much of the rest of the album is as destined-for-stadiums as 'Castle on the Hill', it'll be a spectacular 90 minutes, that song is basically made to fill the Pyramid field

28 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

As much as I cannot stand everything about Sheeran, he is still a better choice of headliner than Coldplay last year.

No one should headline the festival so often in so few years.

This. 

Ed was Spotify's most streamed artist last year, he's almost as big as Adele and this album could push him to that level. 

Now I think both Ed and Adele are dull as a big dull thing, but they are/were brilliant booking'/ from the festivals point of view. Coldplay (and Muse) last year was lazy booking. 

33 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

this is a joke, right?

Ed Sheeran is one of the biggest acts on the planet at the moment. Foo Fighters will get a pretty good crowd, similar to Muse's probably, but he'll easily have a bigger one.

Foo Fighters certainly aren't rare, it's like they never stop touring festivals and outdoor gigs in the UK. I wouldn't say they're a nice friendly one for all the family either really, that description is far more applicable to Ed.

Nope. They've been a huge band for 10-15 years now and are still selling out plenty of stadiums. Also never headlined Glastonbury. Not as popular as Ed Sheeran with the streaming figures you're waiting to throw at me but it seems obvious to me that Foo Fighters would be bigger with the people in their 20's, 30's and 40's that go to Glastonbury. Hell, they went down a storm last time they were announced - they're just completely inoffensive with a strong live reputation to keep people going back. Not that I don't think Ed's crowd will be big but Foos' will be whopping.

Edited by dentalplan

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Nope. They've been a huge band for 10-15 years now and are still selling out plenty of stadiums. Also never played Glastonbury. Not as popular as Ed Sheeran with the streaming figures you're waiting to throw at me but it seems obvious to me that Foo Fighters would be bigger with the people in their 20's, 30's and 40's that go to Glastonbury. Hell, they went down a storm last time they were announced - they're just completely inoffensive with a strong live reputation to keep people going back. Not that I don't think Ed's crowd will be big but Foos' will be whopping.

Can't we all agree that all headline crowds this year will be huge with Radiohead's being the smallest of the three..:ph34r:

late to the party, but the party never stops. 

2010: Gorillaz; Muse

2011:Listened to U2 from the tent; Coldplay; QOTSA (one of the best gigs ever) 

2014: Skrillex (total amazing); Metallica; Kasabian

2015: Bowled around the festival; Kanye West; Chemical Brothers

2016: Muse/Underworld; Adele; Coldplay

15 minutes ago, The Orgazoid said:

I'm absolutely fine with that. I'm already having nightmares about being stood next to casuals, chatting their way through the set waiting for Creep. 

This.

I am thinking of not watching Radiohead with friends in fear they will be moaning for songs off The Bends.  Maybe we need an efests Radiohead gathering at the Pyramid, only for serious fans.  Although I would expect everyone to jump around like loons should they play Creep and the like.

3 minutes ago, Maurice Mecca said:

This.

I am thinking of not watching Radiohead with friends in fear they will be moaning for songs off The Bends.  Maybe we need an efests Radiohead gathering at the Pyramid, only for serious fans.  Although I would expect everyone to jump around like loons should they play Creep and the like.

Me and @SwedgeAntilles have already warned our mate who has a yearly "Mad Friday" at Glastonbury that he had better be on his best behaviour. 

For the record I would love it if they played Creep. It's on my "songs I'll greet if they play" list. 

Edited by The Orgazoid

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Nope. They've been a huge band for 10-15 years now and are still selling out plenty of stadiums. Also never headlined Glastonbury. Not as popular as Ed Sheeran with the streaming figures you're waiting to throw at me but it seems obvious to me that Foo Fighters would be bigger with the people in their 20's, 30's and 40's that go to Glastonbury. Hell, they went down a storm last time they were announced - they're just completely inoffensive with a strong live reputation to keep people going back. Not that I don't think Ed's crowd will be big but Foos' will be whopping.

I'd disagree, Ed has more main stream appeal and Glastonbury is very much a random cross section of people due to the ball ache getting tickets. I'd say far more 20/30/40 year olds would be into Ed sheeran over the foo fighters. I've only got to look at the people at my work who have got Glastonbury tickets, three first timers who have never even heard of the foo fighters.