Headliner predictions 2017

swede

4 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

Yeah, don't see it. They're not really a festivals band are they? Doing Glastonbury was an exception, and therefore A Big Deal, as I understand it.

I do remember the awful rain that night though. Plus there was that tax protest. Don't see them coming back for more.

I dunno. I'm not a fan. I didn't watch them

They have said they'll be doing festivals next year. Wouldn't surprise me to see them announced for IOW 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, FirsG said:

I use a pop music forum with insiders close to Gaga's team. She's been approached to headline, but no info on whether she's said yes or not. Insider is reliable and have used forum for a couple years so have a track record! 

This seems reasonable to me. Especially when it is clear emily is desperate to promote female acts irrespective of their talent.

The fact that Radiohead have contracted to the Friday night this early (when all rumours suggested the Saturday) suggests that the Saturday slot is reserved for a truly massive act who has stated "will only accept if given the most prestigious slot". So, its probably somebody that they've not had before and REALLY want to book badly. Fleetwood Mac spring to mind as well as Taylor Swift who is now clearly in a position to demand top dollar and every preferential treatment under the sun. Lots of people, myself included, were appalled at the idea of Adele taking that slot but it worked and very well too. Emily may be very keen on the template of guitar band, female megastar, guitar band. Yes, it could be the Stones even this early given their overwhelming popularity. I think its fair to say that If Ed Sheeran is nailed on it increases the chance of T Swizzle playing (yes, even subbing Ed as there are at least two songs they have performed together live). If Haim are anywhere in the frame this also increases the chances. So, as strange  as it might seem to some, you could effectively have a co-headline set from Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift. Put Pearl Jam on the Sunday and I would be ecstatic.

4 minutes ago, FirsG said:

I use a pop music forum with insiders close to Gaga's team. She's been approached to headline, but no info on whether she's said yes or not. Insider is reliable and have used forum for a couple years so have a track record! 

Neil heard that she's been approached as something other than a headliner (or something to that effect) so i'm more inclined to believe that, but christ wouldn't that be a crap result? i'm a fan (of her old stuff, anyway) but she's clearly on a downwards trend and should've done it a few years ago if ever. amazing sub - crap headliner

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Neil heard that she's been approached as something other than a headliner (or something to that effect) so i'm more inclined to believe that, but christ wouldn't that be a crap result? i'm a fan (of her old stuff, anyway) but she's clearly on a downwards trend and should've done it a few years ago if ever. amazing sub - crap headliner

I wonder if the Stone Roses decision to do IOW instead (if that's indeed the case) has convinced the fest to go back to her and ask if she'll take a slot higher up after all?

5 minutes ago, play it cool said:

I really don't see U2 doing it again, why would they? They can sell out stadiums everywhere. Had they never done it then they might have been in the running, but I don't see them returning. I fucking hope not too.

Might just wanna set it right, and also promote their new shite at the only major festival they've agreed to play. I don't particularly want it - in fact it'd be fucking awful as I bet the rest of my camp would want to see them - but they're touring next year according to a few things and Eavis did say four repeat headliners would be on the way and it looks like Radiohead were planned for 2017 at that point. Just makes a load of sense to me.

I'd be surprised if all three headliners are male. Emily has made much noise about increasing the female presence on the line up and I can't see three male headliners. Gaga or Madonna for me, Rihanna as an outlier unless they have something a bit leftfield lined up like Kate Bush or Bjork.

10 minutes ago, Martin Ashford said:

The fact that Radiohead have contracted to the Friday night this early (when all rumours suggested the Saturday) suggests that the Saturday slot is reserved for a truly massive act who has stated "will only accept if given the most prestigious slot". So, its probably somebody that they've not had before and REALLY want to book badly. Fleetwood Mac spring to mind as well as Taylor Swift who is now clearly in a position to demand top dollar and every preferential treatment under the sun. Lots of people, myself included, were appalled at the idea of Adele taking that slot but it worked and very well too. Emily may be very keen on the template of guitar band, female megastar, guitar band. Yes, it could be the Stones even this early given their overwhelming popularity. I think its fair to say that If Ed Sheeran is nailed on it increases the chance of T Swizzle playing (yes, even subbing Ed as there are at least two songs they have performed together live). If Haim are anywhere in the frame this also increases the chances. So, as strange  as it might seem to some, you could effectively have a co-headline set from Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift. Put Pearl Jam on the Sunday and I would be ecstatic.

Haim are an interesting Other Stage option. They canned their European festival dates this summer to finish their album.

Ed subbing Swifto isn't the most ridiculous idea but still can't see Taylor doing a festival. Outside her confort zone and no benefit for her to do it.

6 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Haim are an interesting Other Stage option. They canned their European festival dates this summer to finish their album.

Ed subbing Swifto isn't the most ridiculous idea but still can't see Taylor doing a festival. Outside her confort zone and no benefit for her to do it.

Hmm. I didn't know that about Haim. That strongly suggests a new album will be heavily promoted next year. Nobody can look me in the eye and tell me that Haim and Sheeran have never tried to get Taylor to consider Glastonbury. Her nearest competitor is Adele and Swift could get a Nobel for How To Be Successful In Show Business. Headlining the Pyramid and topping Adele would surely rank as a "must do". TS is motivated by recording sales but she's even more motivated by garnering acclaim and hovering up gongs ad awards.. This matters to her more than pretty much anything. I believe that despite her mega success she desperately wants the kind of credibility that someone like Kate Bush drips from every pore. Surely she would see this as an obvious route?

1 minute ago, Martin Ashford said:

Hmm. I didn't know that about Haim. That strongly suggests a new album will be heavily promoted next year. Nobody can look me in the eye and tell me that Haim and Sheeran have never tried to get Taylor to consider Glastonbury. Her nearest competitor is Adele and Swift could get a Nobel for How To Be Successful In Show Business. Headlining the Pyramid and topping Adele would surely rank as a "must do". TS is motivated by recording sales but she's even more motivated by garnering acclaim and hovering up gongs ad awards.. This matters to her more than pretty much anything. I believe that despite her mega success she desperately wants the kind of credibility that someone like Kate Bush drips from every pore. Surely she would see this as an obvious route?

i'm still debating whether you're serious and need help or if this is an incredibly elaborate, dedicated and long winded joke account

Edited by FloorFiller

34 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yeah that's my thoughts too. I did see them though and thought they were ok. They played the hits nicely. 

I didn't realise they'd have 2 new albums out by next year though I must admit

I might have given them a go in better conditions, but on the night thought "fuck standing in the pissing rain watching a band that have never done anything for me".

So yeah, maybe they do want to come back and "do it right". But still an outside chance I think 

26 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I don't know man. Swifty's UK booking agents don't seem keen on getting the most out of her: her last UK tour was so minimal it may as well not have happened, only two arena dates and one Hyde Park show when she could probably sell out stadiums. Also, I don't see Ed subbing anyone. He's easily the biggest British popstar in the world and probably bigger than even Swifty in this country.

Edited by Zac Quinn

Just now, somecoolusername said:

So yeah, maybe they do want to come back and "do it right". But still an outside chance I think 

an outside chance with limited other options though, which increases their chances somewhat. although as a fan who had a ticket for 2010 in the hope of seeing them and then missed out in 2011 it's also a bit of wishful thinking on my part. given better conditions than last time i think they'd be brilliant

Just now, FloorFiller said:

an outside chance with limited other options though, which increases their chances somewhat. although as a fan who had a ticket for 2010 in the hope of seeing them and then missed out in 2011 it's also a bit of wishful thinking on my part. given better conditions than last time i think they'd be brilliant

yeah, I'm sure there are a lot of "casuals" like me who were put off by the rain and would watch them if they did it again. And I keep thinking they've just done it, but it was 6 years ago. So a possibility