Headliner predictions 2017

swede

1 minute ago, swede said:

It's probably because all the daft punk touring stuff is bollocks and IOW will announce TSR's at some points 

IOW tickets go on sale two weeks on Monday, if they're announcing the Roses around then then perhaps that was part of the reason for the RH announcement today.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk of Edd Sheeran being nailed on. No album or planned activity so far announced for next year makes him doubtful IMO.There is however another male English solo artist who has new material and 2017 tour confirmed, past record of massive sell out shows, a bit of history with the festival and a personality big enough to fill the pyramid field.

Step forward Mr Williams

Edited by justperfect

5 minutes ago, GimpSquadObvious said:

Ladbrokes offering odds on other headliners. £10 maximum stake. I've had a nibble on Sheeran (5/1) and the Foos (7/1).

http://news.ladbrokes.com/novelty/odds-slashed-on-stone-roses-headlining-glastonbury-in-2017.html

Some rum acts there - KOL 6/1, RHCP 10/1, Manics 10/1, GnR 6/4...?

12 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Wow fuck I've told loads of people it's going to be the stone roses!

It's going to be the aids denier isn't it. Utterly devastating news.

wish radiohead were playing Sunday

Fucking hell never knew about the aids denying thing until you mentioned it.

That really should be more commonly known, since they're known as the "nice guys" of rock. 

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Gaga's comeback has already stalled before it's left the driveway.   Eight months from now it's gonna look like a weak, weak booking.

cheers. I don't want to see that! Best bet of Sheeran and KoL/Foo? 

Think when chatting with my mates, I threw out Radiohead, Biffy Clyro and Paul McCartney as my trio.

That is still a distinct possibility, weirdly.

Daft Punk seemed like an increasingly long shot and The Stone Roses one had always been a little bit off to me with that Saturday in Glasgow.

I'll continue to press for Iron Maiden and Bruce Springsteen as my dream pairing (which fits with two old and one new) and aren't hugely excited by the Foos (who I saw on the Broken Leg shows at MK Bowl. Sure, they had Roger Taylor and John Paul Jones do a barnstorming version of Under Pressure, and they were musically sound as houses - but the mix was diabolical and opening with Everlong was really anti-climactic. Technically a great gig but I've always felt underwhelmed in retrospect, particularly when Iggy Pop was possibly the greatest support act I'd ever seen).

So, Sheeran? We all seem convinced. I'd reckon the Sunday, after Coldplay this year. Kings of Leon? Definitely possible too, particularly if Kasabian are the big rock outfit at R+L. Taylor Swift? Left-of-field, but great live performer - when she actually sings (her BST show was about sixty-five percent live vocals, fifteen percent mime and twenty percent "look-how-many-famous-friends-I-have" self help bollocks). Biffy? Would absolutely love Biffy. Back catalogue strong enough too, but be surprised if they weren't elsewhere. And The Rolling Stones? Dream on.

Dream On... hmmm...

Aerosmith would be a proper curve ball. Hmmm...

Just now, somecoolusername said:

I'm a lone voice unconvinced Ed is doing it. Call me an optimist. But there really isn't anything but supposition putting him in the frame at this point 

I'm with you, don't worry! It wouldn't surprise me by any means, but until we get something other than 'makes the most sense' I'm not treating it as a strong rumour.

ain't gonna be Gaga or KOL for the exacy reasons said above - they seem like shite bookings now before people have had eight months of realising how disappointing their new albums are. both past it and the bookers would know that

Foos (will've been over a year and a half hiatus come the festival - not too ridiculous) , U2 (to do it right), or another previous 'heritage' act who they've had to bring back to fill the slot a-la The Who. there's always the chance we're totally forgetting somebody, but i doubt it 

1 minute ago, somecoolusername said:

I'm a lone voice unconvinced Ed is doing it. Call me an optimist. But there really isn't anything but supposition putting him in the frame at this point 

christ if both the Roses AND Sheeran aren't doing it then that really opens up the door, but alas i really do think one of em is him. the only reason people are doubting it is because he's yet to announce anything, but he's got eight months to announce and release something (and could well announce something a month before the festival and still probably sell more albums than the rest of the headliners new albums combined in that time)