Headliner predictions 2017

swede

Just now, jparx said:

I'm with you, don't worry! It wouldn't surprise me by any means, but until we get something other than 'makes the most sense' I'm not treating it as a strong rumour.

yeah, same. As far as I'm aware Neil hasn't heard anything at all about him doing it, and if all the headliners are booked up you might expect there to be some whispers about... though we've just had the whole headliners field blown wide open, so who knows? I'm choosing to believe he isn't doing it until there's irrefutable evidence to the contrary :P

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/3/2016 at 5:26 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

As I did a few months ago, I'm pushing all my chips onto Ed Sheeran, Radiohead, Beyonce.

If past me was right, and these are the headliners, momma gets a sweet payout from Paddy Power, and a Sunday night weeping unstoppably at the Pyramid as Queen Bey slays the field. This is a very attractive prospect.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

ain't gonna be Gaga or KOL for the exacy reasons said above - they seem like shite bookings now before people have had eight months of realising how disappointing their new albums are. both past it and the bookers would know that

Foos (will've been over a year and a half hiatus come the festival - not too ridiculous) , U2 (to do it right), or another previous 'heritage' act who they've had to bring back to fill the slot a-la The Who. there's always the chance we're totally forgetting somebody, but i doubt it 

christ if both the Roses AND Sheeran aren't doing it then that really opens up the door, but alas i really do think one of em is him. the only reason people are doubting it is because he's yet to announce anything, but he's got eight months to announce and release something (and could well announce something a month before the festival and still probably sell more albums than the rest of the headliners new albums combined in that time)

so true. To the 3rd para.

Edited by Jud8

Just now, somecoolusername said:

yeah, same. As far as I'm aware Neil hasn't heard anything at all about him doing it, and if all the headliners are booked up you might expect there to be some whispers about... though we've just had the whole headliners field blown wide open, so who knows? I'm choosing to believe he isn't doing it until there's irrefutable evidence to the contrary :P

He's probably the most likely option, but yeah I won't view it as nailed on until some info leaks out. Which, with someone as big as him, you'd expect to happen at some point before the announcement.

Just waking to the EE interview. I'd say she was aware of the growing hype around TSR and may also know they've signed to IOW.

As much as I'd love three storming headliners, I'm trying not to attach myself too much to the Pyramid. I'd love to see headliners elsewhere on at least one, perhaps both other nights. 

I'm also in the 'no evidence for Sheeran' club. He's one of these names that everyone else seems quite sure about so he becomes a contender but aside from the fact he's said he'd love to do it, we have zilch. 

At this point, anyone is as likely as anyone else. 'Citing! 

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

He's probably the most likely option, but yeah I won't view it as nailed on until some info leaks out. Which, with someone as big as him, you'd expect to happen at some point before the announcement.

There's an article in The S*n saying Ed is doing it, he's more or less said he's doing it on his next album, he's pledged that he'll be back this autumn, it's not like there's nothing 

Just now, Zac Quinn said:

There's an article in The S*n saying Ed is doing it, he's more or less said he's doing it on his next album, he's pledged that he'll be back this autumn, it's not like there's nothing 

The Sun also said FF were headlining last year (and I don't mean FloorFiller..!)

Yeah, it's not like there's nothing, but if saying you want to do it qualifies as evidence then there are hundreds of acts that are in the running. I get @FloorFiller's point that he could announce his album/tour at any point, but until that day comes he's still an act that's currently inactive with no fresh evidence to suggest he'll play. 

yep, i think a lot of people are forgetting because it came directly after last years festival (and from his own mouth long before) but he's been reported as the headliner by at least one semi-reputable source, has vocalised that he's very interested in doing it, and will almost definitely be touring new material next year. not a definite, but the most likely option right now by far, especially with Daft Punk and the Roses now out of the picture and the pool of potential acts being seemingly tiny

also more food for thought as just brought up by dental in the Radiohead thread - now the Roses are out Eavis' initial quote from way back about four of 2016/17's headliners being repeats and two being new could've possibly been right all along. if we're to believe it, Radiohead repeat, Sheeran new, suggesting the third is a previous headliner. which of the previous headliners are 1. active next year and 2. still relevant enough to headline?

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This seems to hint at the Mac not being road-ready until next autumn:

http://www.fleetwoodmacnews.com/2016/03/fleetwood-mac-planning-to-be-on-road-in.html

that was in March.

there's an interview with Christine a few weeks ago and she says they'll be touring in summer 2017.

Radiohead

Ed Sheeran

Fleetwood Mac

good all-rounder lineup. Sheeran for the BBC x-factor lot, Fleetwood Mac for the oldies/locals.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

also more food for thought as just brought up by dental in the Radiohead thread - now the Roses are out Eavis' initial quote from way back about four of 2016/17's headliners being repeats and two being new could've possibly been right all along. if we're to believe it, Radiohead repeat, Sheeran new, suggesting the third is a previous headliner. which of the previous headliners are 1. active next year and 2. still relevant enough to headline?

Beyonce. Or he could mean the Foo's, they'd be a repeat booking even if not a repeat headliner and there would probably have been a verbal agreement about their return which he'd have heard about if they have been booked. 

Edited by Zac Quinn

Beyonce. Or he could mean the Foo's, they'd be a repeat booking even if not a repeat headliner and there would probably have been a verbal agreement about their return which he'd have heard about if they have been booked 

one of U2, Foos and Beyonce is my guess (although less so on the latter as i think she will've wrapped up touring by then)

Not surprised by Emilys news. Always thought it was hugely wishful thinking the Roses would headline. No new album, comeback is old news, if you wanted to see them, you would have done by now. 

May still be there of course but only as a sub. Foo's certainly looking more likely.if they're doing gigs again, Gaga is a dark horse. Ed would surely be sunday if he headlines. Sunday is nearly always a beige headliner.

Reckon we might see The XX sub Radiohead on the Friday.

Wonder if Glastonbury were burnt by the Prince saga and swore they'd have headliners signed up well in advance and never get left in the lurch and having to do last minute deals?

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

one of U2, Foos and Beyonce is my guess (although less so on the latter as i think she will've wrapped up touring by then)

Yeah I'm not sure what's going on with her tour. It's definitely finished as far as announced dates go but this whole Coachella rumour throws things up in the air a bit, albeit with the caveat that Coachella is down the road from where she lives so a one-off show there wouldn't be as much of a stretch as a one-off Glastonbury show.

possibly AM? Their new album probably won't be out until late next year or early 2018, but that wouldn't necessarily rule them out in the light of Emily's 'cramming in two years of music' comment.

Edited by Zac Quinn

Just now, russycarps said:

Why are U2 being mentioned? Wouldn't they just do exactly the same set again?

dental has been mentioning them a while and the more i think about it the more i reckon they'd be up for it. already released a new album since and have a new one due next year so would be good promotion for it and they could give people the show they wanted to give the first time round*

*if it doesn't piss it down again

If Lady Gaga really is subbing, it'd make sense for it to be for her pal 'Yoncé.  If the Sunday Pyramid ends up being Diana Ross > Lady Gaga > Beyoncé, there's no force on heaven or earth that could move me from that field. (or obviously no mountain high enough and no valley low enough to keep me getting there)

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

3 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Why are U2 being mentioned? Wouldn't they just do exactly the same set again?

Yeah, don't see it. They're not really a festivals band are they? Doing Glastonbury was an exception, and therefore A Big Deal, as I understand it.

I do remember the awful rain that night though. Plus there was that tax protest. Don't see them coming back for more.

I dunno. I'm not a fan. I didn't watch them

Just now, somecoolusername said:

Yeah, don't see it. They're not really a festivals band are they? Doing Glastonbury was an exception, and therefore A Big Deal, as I understand it.

I do remember the awful rain that night though. Plus there was that tax protest. Don't see them coming back for more.

yeah the no festivals since Glastonbury thing probably puts a dampener on it, but who knows? if not them then Foos seem like the most likely option to me - just need to wait and see if they're active at all

2 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

Yeah that's my thoughts too. I did see them though and thought they were ok. They played the hits nicely. 

I didn't realise they'd have 2 new albums out by next year though I must admit

So I just logged back in to a shitstorm then. Here's my thoughts, which I know is what you've all been waiting on ;)

The Radiohead announcement was incredibly early by Glastonbury standards, and were being listed as a strong possibility early doors. Whether the Roses and Daft Punk statement from Emily is true or not, I wonder if they decided to completely piss on the fire of strong rumours to get the discussion and hype back on a slower burn rather than have popular opinion settled on only a few names so early on.

Personally I wouldn't put it past the Eavii to throw a complete curveball and just outright lie. It's not normally what they do, but then neither is announcing a headliner in October.

This isn't out of clinging to the idea of the Roses; as much as I'd love to end the weekend on Resurrection I've already got one Pyramid headliner to watch. I just wonder what they're up to, the little scamps.