The Unmissables

the wonderwhy

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

What are explosions in the sky. Seen them talked about loads. Where do I start? What we talking? Electronic dance?

Ambient electronic music, I would say. It's definitely not dance. First Breath After Coma & Your Hand In Mine are my favourite tunes and a good start

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Sounds more my cup of tea then. Not expecting a definitive genre really as that stuff's all bollox. We talking kinda Mogwai type stuff maybe?

I'll have a listen tonight to those two.

Yeah kind of, maybe not that depressing at times. Remember Me As A Time Of Day is beautiful, too. I'm sure others can recommend lots more. The new album is supposed to be really good. 

Mine are;

Savages (never seen them, album is great)

Art Garfunkel (legend with great songs)

Beck (chose to take a break when he was at Rock Werchter, could hear him, sounded amazing)

ELO (perfect for Sunday afternoon)

James (my favourite to do on karaoke and a cracking band)

Last Shadow Puppets (in my opinion everything Alex Turner touches turns to gold)

Mercury Rev (Deserted songs and All is Dream are 2 outstanding albums)

Madness (great for a sing along and dance)

Wolf Alice (never seen live apart from on TV and liked what I saw)

17 minutes ago, jparx said:

EITS are instrumental post-rock.

Of the highest motherfucking order.

Explosions in the Sky may be many things, but you wouldn't really tag them with an 'ambient' tag. Live, they are fucking astonishing, smashing your senses with walls of sound and the most incredible 2 or 3 part guitar figures. How they make some of their sounds 'only' with guitars is beyond me!

Unmissables are:

EITS

Sigur Rós

Floating Points

:)

Ben

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

Explosions in the Sky may be many things, but you wouldn't really tag them with an 'ambient' tag. Live, they are fucking astonishing, smashing your senses with walls of sound and the most incredible 2 or 3 part guitar figures. How they make some of their sounds 'only' with guitars is beyond me!

Unmissables are:

EITS

Sigur Rós

Floating Points

:)

Ben

I know nothing of explosions in the sky, but I have been recommended to listen to them.

Where to start?

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I know nothing of explosions in the sky, but I have been recommended to listen to them.

Where to start?

Well, given that they have just dropped their latest LP (The Wilderness), and it's great (even Pitchfork gave it an 8.0!) then go with that, and The Earth Is A Cold Dead Place, considered by most to be their best record.

Give them time. They're a slow-burn until you get what they're doing. Unlike so much instrumental music of that genre, EITS always know where they're going...spectacular live. Park Headliner PLEASE!!!

Ben

3 hours ago, MattDavies__ said:

Seeing as we've had all the other classic threads started this morning after the poster drop, thought I'd get this one going. 

Who are everyone's must sees etc? 

Mine so far: Foals, LCD, New Order, Underworld, Beck, PJ Harvey 

Mine too. Plus E,W&F.

Must see:

Beck

LCD Soundsystem

M83

PJ Harvey

Plenty of other acts that I want to see, but only those 4 are unmissable. The benefit/drawback of going to a tonne of gigs is seeing most of the lineup before, but being able to choose more easily when these ballaching clashes occur. 

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Underworld+LCD.  And they will probably clash. So, just Underworld then.  

Lots I want to see, but unmissable is quite a big thing for me, means they're clashbusting acts, so by definition you can't have more than 2 or 3 without it becoming unfeasible.  As for acts I really want to see and could easily see myself going off on my own:

• Earth Wind & Fire
  • M83
  • Art
  • John Grant
  • Sigur Ros
  • Explosions in the sky

I don't think you will have to be on your own at Earth Wind and Fire as it appears most of this forum will be there too, I will look out for your 2 hats. 
Charm x

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

lots to see for me but the unmissable's are:

want to see's

• Roisin Murphy

Glad somebody mentioned RM. Been waiting for a return since 2008, stage presence was superb, can't wait.

New Order are the only unmissable act for me. Am happy to be lead astray elsewhere for anyone else.

Would watch James but I have seen them a ridiculous amount of times. Will probably be in Glastonbury centre having a scran and shower when they are on.

Edited by eastynh

• New Order (Warning - I will cry during Atmosphere)
  • James
  • PJ Harvey
  • Ezra Furman
  • John Grant
  • A group that I've never heard of, on a small stage in a tent, in a field on the outer reaches of the site, that will blow my mind.

A bear hug from Guy Garvey, would be nice as well.