Holiday Request from work turned down :(

gooner1990

Reminds me: I was once asked - without having 'declared' it - during a regular security clearance review (not that I do anything particularly exciting for a living) if I 'still go to Glastonbury Festival'.

I said I did and it was written down by the reviewing officer bloke.

Slightly disconcerting.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Festival Liam said:

Reminds me of my teacher friend initially dancing with, then running away from a camera man who followed Angel Haze into the crowd when she was performing on the Pyramid a couple of Glastonburys ago ... "Oh shit I can't be on telly" 

I have teacher friend who got spotted on TV in the crowd at Wimbledon by pupils when 'off sick' and got a proper fucking bollocking.

5 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I said it earlier, but in response to so many posts it bears repeating:

Don't take a sickie

They will find out.

All this chat about locking down Facebook... irrelevant when you return to work from being ill with a suntan! Even if its overcast all weekend, you will still return looking quite weathered.

Aye sick on Wednesday Thursday, take a fuck load of "medicine" in a rehabilitation retreat in Somerset, come Monday morning, your treatment has worked but you're just feeling slightly under the weather 

No lies told, good time had 

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

you can.

You can leave the factional networking behind you, and leave the self-confirming bubble to open yourself to all of the things which have been passing you by. :)

You are indeed correct, sadly even if you did that some fucker could still take a picture that would land you in the shit!

51 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

and what?

being sick with most conditions doesn't preclude you from sitting outside in the sun....

the chances of them finding out if you pull  a sickie are slim to none. they might have suspicions now that you've asked for it off, but there isn't much they can do.

exactly! being ill does not mean you are confined to quarters.

In fact, a nice dose of vitamin D would be good for most ailments.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

you can.

You can leave the factional networking behind you, and leave the self-confirming bubble to open yourself to all of the things which have been passing you by. :)

Did this a while back - although still know someone stuck loads of pictures on their from NYE that I'd have rather they didn't! Bloody annoying.

On 25/01/2016 at 8:19 PM, parsonjack said:

I'm talking about the Reference you ask your old Employer to provide for you....that will often ask why you left the job....and they could quite legitimately say that you left due to a disagreement over Annual Leave not being granted ie. threw your toys out of the cot.

A new Employer may not give a monkeys if you have the right skills etc....but in a toss up between you and someone else with equivalent skills I know who I'd pick.

Lot of places won't give anything in a reference beyond "he worked here on these days" these days because they're scared of legal consequences.

The key thing to remember is always to book it as soon as it's available. No need to wait until you get ticket, you can always cancel later. That's a potential line of argument though - ask how they'd deal with it if you'd booked those dates first - would your colleague not be allowed to attend her daughter's wedding? If they would be making an exception for that, then it should work the other way too.

Other option is to completely ignore it, don't mention anything, then take the time off. When you get back to office, say you thought it had been approved. Act confused. A lot depends on how much the company value you really. If you don't take much sick leave, always get stuff done on time, are a high performer... they'll let a lot slide. If they want a reason to get rid of you then they'll be able to use whatever you do as an excuse regardless.

Feel for ya and hope it gets sorted!!

Fear I might be in a similar predicament soon, I just started a new job and they already want holiday requests in (the interview was ages ago, so I didn't think about saying about Prebooked holiday :P) and I don't even have full access to the systems to do it yet! (Plus I'd feel a bit cheeky doing it in my first week). Will have to do it soon though, hopefully there are parents on the team and they need to take holiday outside of term time =p

Both apple juice and cider are excellent sources of Vitamin C. They are very low in saturated fat and sodium. They have no cholesterol, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease. Scientists discovered that apple juice and cider can protect from certain cancers (the pectin and polyphenols in apples have an anticarcinogenic effect on stomach, preventing the development of tumors). They are also know to protect against asthma and brain cell damage. They also contain iron and have a tendency to withdraw kidney and gall stones. They also helps with dysentery, laryngitises, paratyphoid fever and acute respiratory diseases, by leading the heavy metals and radionuclides salts out of the body. A research at University of Massachusetts−Lowell revealed that apple juice and cider have very powerful effect on brain functions and hence may improve cognition.

Proof if any were needed that Glastonbury is good for you.

6 hours ago, ericlered said:

I tried to book my time off work last year on October 7th and was rejected due to uncertainty over moving to new premises this summer, I have just re submitted as I know other staff have now had June holidays rubber stamped....

*meep!*  Stand strong, take no nonsense!

one year when I was still teaching for the University of London I would have a few days off at Glasto week + the Monday and that was booked one year in advance - anyway everything was fine apart from one year - was all ready to leave when I bumped into the head of department and he said something like ' sorry but we need you back on the Monday morning ' - I explained that unless he pays for a helicopter there is no way will I be able to get back for Monday morning - I had a ' full tenable contract ' { I would have to kill someone to get sacked } so I was confident that he could do nothing - arrived back on the Tuesday and he never mentioned it again - never did discover the real reason why he wanted me back.

On 1/26/2016 at 9:43 AM, mungo57 said:

sucks.

I can't book for G until April 1st as my holiday year starts then. I expect similar when I try and book. Unlucky mate, keep hassling and maybe they will back down.

This is like my company, i can't book it in, however i was able to submit a form to say i wanted with the date on it, so when the 1st april roles around they have my form with the date on it, and signed by my supervisor

On 1/26/2016 at 9:51 AM, tonyblair said:

I think the chances of spending 5 days at Glastonbury, and come back looking like you've spent 5 days at home are unlikely. 

Cover yourself in factor 5,000 sun protector, from head to toe? :D

On 1/27/2016 at 0:05 PM, maelzoid said:

I said it earlier, but in response to so many posts it bears repeating:

Don't take a sickie

They will find out.

All this chat about locking down Facebook... irrelevant when you return to work from being ill with a suntan! Even if its overcast all weekend, you will still return looking quite weathered.

You could always start working in that tan a few weeks before, hit a few sunbeds. 

I have to miss the Wednesday which is annoying.

Always thought if this sort of thing came up I'd stand firm as It is literally the 5 days of the year I most look forward to and I don't want to miss even one day. but it allows others from the workplace to go (as opposed to drawing straws where there was a chance of not going at all). Still not happy though! Back in on the Tuesday too, so this will not be the most enjoyable of festivals as it'll feel like a rush 

Edited by efcfanwirral

So on advice of HR I was told to write a letter to my manager and see what would happen.  No reply, so its now been forwarded to HR to take up.

Iits been unclear at our office when we can and can't book holiday for a while, it used to be April 1st, then at somepoint they started allowing people to book earlier although never offically communicated it.  If I can prove that its never been communicated to us hopefully i'll be able to get it on a 'technicallity'  

As a side point, someone else asked me (in front of my manager) 'Are you going to Glastonbury' at a work night out on Friday with my manager next to me....very awkward silence when i said 'well i have a ticket but i'm not sure how much of it i'll actually be there for' and looked straight at my manager.