How have the sort of people who attend the festival changed & when?

gooner1990

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're going to get destroyed on here for that 'undesirables' quote. I know what you mean, but not everybody who can't afford a ticket is an undesirable and I think that might anger some people!

I agree though - I've met up with plenty of people who laughed at me for festivals at school for beers at festivals.

Undesirable was in no way meant to be related to money in the slightest and people's ability to afford a ticket or not. By udesirable I was referring to the people in my first paragraph that I know thy go to V, we are FSTVL and all that sort of stuff, chavy geezer types who now love festivals but who in the main, probably will never quite make the effort to register and apply for Glastonbury tickets.

Oh, no mistake, there were some right c**ts there back in the day. 'Orrible.

In one of those threads quoted earlier is my account (albeit brief and not describing the full horror) of how we got attacked in the cinema field in 2000 by a nasty bunch of scrotes, it was the single most frightening experience of my adult life. A couple of years back I bumped into my mate's brother, who was the one who got really badly beaten and his ear is still a right mess to this day (I came out of it without a scratch, but scared shitless, I'd never seen violence like that). One day I might type out the story in full, but suffice to say it ruined our festival (that and our lift home falling through and having to bunk 5 people in the back of a corsa van with 7 people's kit for the journey home). It wasn't all daisys and love-ins before the fence, but incidents like that were hardly commonplace.

@tweed1981, if it's any consolation I'm about the most class conscious twat around here and I didn't take your comment about undesirables as meaning anything other than you intended so I don't reckon others would either.

Depends what festival you want.

If you wanna hang around the Pyramid all day with your Hunter wearing pals and be part of the 'brand', then so be it. Alternatively, you can go to Left Field, go to the Greenfields, go to Stone Circle and get fecked without the irritating noise, speak to people, go to the late night areas and the world of the weird and wonderful and enjoy yourself. Two different attendees can have two completely different experiences.

Less political activism at the festival is reflected in society, kids my age are voting for the first time and voting Tory FFS, following their poisonous, middle aged parents who are fucking over their own kids. Kids aren't allowed to be politically active, having several political parties and millions of voters who shit all over our generation has ensured that they are heavily dissuaded.

Less communication at the festival comes about because of changes in technology - people don't really talk anymore, they sit and stare at a screen. That's true in all walks of life. More 'mainstream' attendees is also probably the fault of social media and celebrity. If you're not popular, you're not worth anything in social media world.

What is true is that there are less alternative types about in our generation, Christ knows why, but there are still a few of us about.

Edited by GlastoSimon

I can assure you that no one was taking their parents back in the 80s.

My sis and I first went with our parents back in 85, but we'd not that long before moved to Wells. The local liberal party (which Philip E was a member of) sold cheese rolls (3 for a quid) and they let us help out in return for having a wander round and watching some bands.

Our Dad was pretty intrigued by the myriad of different names shouted by the blokes flogging drugs from their big tents by the main thoroughfares, that's certainly changed a lot :)

Black 'ash, Sensi, etc...

I used to like Glastonbury a lot more because people loved talking to randoms, now it just seems that society in general just wants to be in their own little bubbles.

I actually loved it in 2013, on the Friday night most of our crowd headed home after Arcadia (think Andy C had played) 3 of us decided to keep going and head on down to shangri-la and a bloke came running up to us and said 'all my mates have gone to bed and i've just seen most of your group do the same, can i come and party with you!?!' We took him in and the four of us had a right laugh, drinking and sharing drugs until 6am. :)

This, and the couple of stories that followed, reminded me of this thread:

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/127349-fish-tits/?hl=%2Bfish+%2Btits

Myself and my partner have been coming since 2008 with 3 young kids.the kids have grown every time weve come.The exposure to great music and large groups of people who want to get on with each other isnt worth putting a price to. Me has said in interviews he actually wants people from the mainstream to come to experience something a bit different. Thats really why i come with my family.i dont think its something that needs so much analysis.my youngest is now 13 and will be roaming on his own this year.hes over the moon and counting the days down.

Fashion victims are generally vacuous twits.

Fashion wellington boots is about as absurd as it gets.

No, judging people on the wellies they wear is about as absurd as it gets. My wife wears Hunters Russy as they have a wider fitting, are more comfortable than standard wellies and she has hip displacement so they help, but you'd take one look at her and think she was a nob .

To be fair I think the hunter welly thing is just a generalisation, I don't think anyone really spots a welly brand and thinks "twat" its more the pristinely turned out never dont look they're enjoying themselves gang always have them on but not everyone wearing them us in that gang.

The thread is good humoured and people shouldn't be so touchy!! Typical noobs......jk :)

Stewards at the gate should carry out a welly inspection and give a special bonus lanyard to people wearing off brand wellies that grants them access to special areas, discounts from food trucks and so on.

People wearing Hunter wellies should think they're being granted access to the farm, but instead be shepherded up to one of the milking barns which has been fitted with some sort of system for issuing Zyklon B. The reclaimed trendy wellies could then be burned as a source of bioefficient energy to help power the Pyramid Stage, helping the festival regain some of the green / eco roots of its early, glory years.

Two points to make:

1. It's about time there's a serious and generally respectful debate on here. Really enjoying this thread.

2. Swede, I'll go ahead and assume this is a typo!

Haha, my bloody phone is taking the piss !

Edited by swede

Lot of judgemental rubbish on here.......mainly from the 'old timer' glasto lot....as a recent convertee to glastonbury(2013 was my first one) let me just put to rest a lot of the claims.....

Did I start to go to Glastonbury because it was on my bucket list or 'to be seen' or 'to be cool?...no! My bro and his mate we're going and I didn't have anything in that summer so I fancied tagging along for a week of fun already being a music fan, I caught the bug loved it and hence why I've come back last year and am going again in 15. I couldn't care less what other people think of me going I just enjoy the place.

Do I wear decent walking boots because I'm a 'fashion victim' no! I wear them because a lot of walking is involved at Glastonbury and I want a comfy pair that don't fall apart on me.

Do I have my phone out because I'm an unsocalable unfriendly person? No! Chances are if you see me on my phone I'm phoning home because I have a little toddler at home who gets upset when she doesn't see her dad for a day or so so it's nice to ring home and speak to her.

Bottom line stop with the judging bollocks aimed at new attendees of Glastonbury, you have absolutely no fucking idea what goes on in other people's heads and what there motivations was for going to the fest/what they are up to when they are there......if there's one thing personally I can't stand about modern Glastonbury it's the downright snobbery of some who have been going for a long time towards many of the young generation or new attendees in general. Yes we may do things differently then you and your mates did in 2005 or 2000 or the 80's or whenever you want to claim you started going but that doesn't mean we do things 'worse' ......each to their own is a phrase that really needs to be uttered here.

Jesus Penguin, this must be a first.... I agree with every word you've written.

Stewards at the gate should carry out a welly inspection and give a special bonus lanyard to people wearing off brand wellies that grants them access to special areas, discounts from food trucks and so on.

People wearing Hunter wellies should think they're being granted access to the farm, but instead be shepherded up to one of the milking barns which has been fitted with some sort of system for issuing Zyklon B. The reclaimed trendy wellies could then be burned as a source of bioefficient energy to help power the Pyramid Stage, helping the festival regain some of the green / eco roots of its early, glory years.

Seems fair.

Having not been pre 2011 I can't comment but agree with Russy.

I've always been really interested in the history, the ethos behind glastonbury and how it all started. And it seems that none of that exists anymore.

The dodgy element pre fence I can't comment on.

To stick my oar into 'Wellie Gate' .. Hunter is merely just a brand is it not? Why does it bring all this stigma with it? People like branded clothing (me included) .. Is there anything wrong with that?

Why is it any different than seeing a Ralph Lauren t shirt or some Levi jeans?

Edited by st dan