How have the sort of people who attend the festival changed & when?

gooner1990

I was reading another thread (forget which) and someone said it was thought that in 1994 that was when a massive new breed of people started attending Glastonbury, newer and bigger bands, britpop, and the new dance tent were a few changes that I know of.

I guess another shift could be when the super fence went up in 2002, and a lot of the fence jumpers were eradicated and some of the edge was lost?

I only started going in 2004.....but even i've noticed since then that there has been a shift in the sort of people going, perhaps I noticed it first in 2009, I loved 2008 because it sold out so late on a lot of 'messy' people were there that year rather than just the selfie/instagram crowd that dominate the festival.

Suppose its also just how the world changes and evolves and Glastonbury represents some of that!

Are we due another 'wave' of new people attending the festival?

People are younger, cleaner, and take less hallucinogens. It's widely accepted that this is bad.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are younger, cleaner, and take less hallucinogens. It's widely accepted that this is bad.

Haha, definitely. Who's gonna make the effort to have that wet wipe wash and change your pants when you can't even comprehend what a tent is, never mind find it?

Its easy to judge people by just looking at them and its easy to get it very very wrong.

Wait at least until they open their mouth for a minute or two. You can still get it wrong, but it does give you a little more than the reading of a book cover so to speak

Dickheads are dickheads and there was dickheads in the 70s, 80, 90s & 00s. There are dickheads from working class, middle class and upper class backgrounds

And there are of course also sound folk from all types of class.

Yep the fest has changed, but a dickhead is still a dickhead and they are someone I would try to avoid regardless if they are a dickhead crusty in the 80s or a dickhead posh fart staying in Camp Kerala in 2015.

I suppose the question is are there more dickheads at Glastonbury nowadays????

TBF, on the whole, I meet very few dickheads at Glasto. But they are there for sure...........

Edited by ThomThomDrum

When I say that there are less people from poorer backgrounds going to the festival and more middle class people, i'm not saying that I dislike rich people. I'm stating it as a fact. It's a shame that a broader social class can't enjoy Glastonbury, but then again it's more of a shame about their job prospects and healthcare lol

Of course it has changed. Every festival has changed over the last 15-20 years. Reading isn't what it was either.

Festivals themselves have become a summer event for more people, that's why more festivals, both small and large, have started up in that time. Part of that is media coverage, the festivals getting safer, people in general having more disposable income than in the 80's, earlier 90's. Society has changed. But don't blame the BBC. Channel 4 Glastonbury coverage started in '94 and that influenced me.

Nostalgia is a seductive liar. When people refer to the pre-fence days as having an 'edge' or the 'element of danger' has gone, what they seem to forget is that 'edge' or 'element of danger' generally meant accepting that some scally was watching your tent and would rob it when you left. 2000 was a horrible festival. There was a thread on here I vaguely remember that had some terrible stories.

The fence opened up the festival to a new group of people who wouldn't have dared gone pre-fence. The 90's crowd were different to the 80's which was different to the 70's. But lets not get nostalgic for fence jumpers. That only really happened in any great numbers from about 95 to 00. Which resulted in the festival nearly ending.

You might not like the new demographics but Glastonbury changes year on year. That is good. Apt or die.

Still the line-up was much better pre-fence when there was an 'edge'. Robbie Williams in '98. Ah.

Only been since the superfence so can't say how its changed from before then. Certainly my perception of the festival in the 90's was of a family friendly MOR event due to press coverage focussed on the headliners (no change there) and knowing quite a few people from school who went with their families. I don't imagine that has changed much for mid to late teens, though many would say its closer to being accurate.

Since I have been going i don't feel there has been a major shift in the demographics, though undoubtedly the ticketing system now favours large groups of well prepared people. The only year I have felt there was a noticable difference in the crowd was 2008, which is no surprise as you could buy tickets on the day.

Looking at peoples sigs on here it seems quite a lot started going in those 2 years where it was relatively easy to get tickets, I can't see there being a big change in the audience until this happens again - just need a combo of shit weather, poorly received headliners and a recession, so... sometime before 2020?

Edited by blackred

The mainstream has definitely had an effect on Glastonbury _ it's part of the 'national cultural calendar' now. I haven't been often enough to make any valid observations - I went in 2004 and last year and can't say I noticed any great difference in the people there - 10 years before that am sure it would have been different.

It does still seem to me that Glastonbury has kept some of it's soul (diluted definitely) - it's not just a bigger V festival yet.... (Small expectations? Me?)

What I'd really like to know is what impact has the festival had on the mainstream? If just 500 of the be-Huntered hordes make to the green fields or Leftfield and stop and think - then something's working....

the simple answer is that Glastonbury's audience has become more and more mainstream over the years, and it's still going in that direction - with the latest wave being people taking their parents.

I can assure you that no one was taking their parents back in the 80s. Glastonbury was so left-field back then that it wasn't unusual for people to be sacked from their jobs just for attending (happened to me, and happened to others I know).

My then Girlfriend at the time did (88, 89 something like that) her little brother even came along. We played on the Pyramid on the Monday before the fest. :)

I know we were very much the exception though

I don't get the whole knocking people for having nice clothes bit, the hunter wellie brigade ect. I pack a few old clothes to last the festival but my wife, who is a woman of a larger persuasion whose weight does fluctuate, buys a new festival wardrobe every year depending on her weight. She also wears hunters as having hip displacement after two complicated pregnancies finds their fit comfier than other willies. She also does her hair and makeup and makes an effort with her outfits every day as if she's sleeping in a tent for best part of a week, wants to look good every day as it helps her feel good, which in turn helps her enjoy the days more.

But to judgemental passers by she's wearing hunters and has made an effort with her outfit so she must be a posh twat.

Agree with all of this, there's an inverse snobbery that's crept into a lot of older Glastonbury heads. I first went in 2004 and don't think it's that much different. Few more kids doing what kids to, but that's it. How other people enjoy themselves is their own business and unless they're directly affecting or annoying me I don't really care what they get up to.

If you're at Glastonbury and getting angry about what others are wearing then it's probably you with the problem...

Nostalgia is a seductive liar. When people refer to the pre-fence days as having an 'edge' or the 'element of danger' has gone, what they seem to forget is that 'edge' or 'element of danger' generally meant accepting that some scally was watching your tent and would rob it when you left. 2000 was a horrible festival. There was a thread on here I vaguely remember that had some terrible stories.

What kind of stuff went on? Any links to the threads?

I've only ever gone post super fence so this kind of thing interests me a lot.

I'm interested to know too.

I recall seeing a lot of drug dealers, some with knives (which were used for cutting up their products rather than as weapons, this seems to be forgotten when people describe them). But they certainly weren't randomly attacking people. Why would they?

I hear there were tent thefts, but I never got robbed because, as is the case now, I left nothing of value in my tent. Only a fool would. (I didnt actually own anything of value back then in fairness...)

Then, as now, I never saw a fight or anything like that. (the riot in 1990 was against the imperial security services, not against normal people, and was 100% justified).

Maybe if I was my age now back then I would have detected this edgy atmosphere, but I, like most people, were too smashed to notice anything like that.

Perhaps it just felt edgy because there was no police presence. I certainly dont see that as a bad thing though!

Edited by russycarps

It's become a victim of its own success.

The coverage the BBC give it, it's almost impossible for anybody to escape. They give a glimpse of what the festival is like to the masses, who they want to attend next year.

Isn't Glastonbury now regularly voted in the top 10 brands in the world? Alongside Apple and Starbucks etc. That tells you everything you need to know.

This is it in a nutshell. Britain now has a fascination with festivals, there is so much competition so Glastonbury has to stay ahead of the game to ensure the numbers are kept high otherwise it would end up having to be scaled back, which would be a major change in itself and one I am sure we would have differing opinions on. The money going to charities would be reduced and so on.

The brand or "experience" has to be communicated to as many as possible to make sure it is the first festival that people think of and ensures it is the best one out there. God knows that there is a festival every week or so in the summer. There are even food festivals all over the place. There is a bloody chilli festival in my local town every year now which is getting bigger.

The .long and short of it is that our behaviours in the normal world drive how the festival has to market itself (I know this sounds a bit corporate and sad but it is a reality) so that it can continue long into the future. This obviously then has an impact on the people who get that message and in turn attend the festival.

I am aware of how soulless this sounds :)

Don't forget we've all changed too! I'm nearly 10 years older than when I started going to Glastonbury, I'm definitely very different now

I'd probably be considered the 'new crowd' , but I don't do NOS, I don't have a selfie stick, I don't have hunter wellies (but why does anyone care anyway?)

I do however support CND & Greenpeace, I take all my rubbish home or bin it properly. I live & breathe for the last week in June, I'd like to think I add something positive to the Festival, regardless of how long I've been going.

There's no doubt in my mind that the super fence irrevocably altered the previous incarnation of the festival and yes a whole 'edginess' was lost forever. I also have no doubt that many of today's attendees would shit their load if they found they were sharing the festival with all the drongos, misfits and lunatics that attended in the years just prior to the super fence going up.

Better the super fence than no festival IMO. Definitely a different festival these days, in good and bad ways, I remember being shit scared crossing the bridge into the Pyramid stage field it was so rammed in 2000, people were jumping into the ditch to avoid the crush, frightening.

Having said that, I got a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach when I first saw the neon "Queue Here for Shangri-la, 68 minutes" sign in 2008 (I think), reminded me of Alton Towers *shivers*. I used to love walking down the old railway track with all the nutters, buying illicit booze of sellers on the way.

Still, things got to change, can't be sitting in a field listening to Hawkwind for the next 20 years.

Edited by SteveTLizard

can't find the exact thread (it might not have been on efests) but these give a flavour;

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/160142-was-the-atmosphere-at-glastonbury-2000-that-bad/

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/126970-2000/

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2000/review-fest15.shtml

But as you can see from those threads and other reviews, for some it was their favourite year, for others it was their worst by far.

Reading people's reviews over the years gives a flavour of how the festival has changed over the years but 2000 was the year it had to change otherwise there wouldn't be a festival to go to in 4 weeks.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/ has some great reviews of early glastonbury's too.

I had a twenty year Glasto non-attendance gap from '93 all the way to 2013.

My take on it:

Early 90's:

Less people (obviously).

Crowd: Non-conformists, students, hippys, dealers, middle class rebels, travellers, artists, loons, nutters, criminal element.

Less security/ organisation/ facilities giving it more of a Mad Max feel.

Vibe: More left wing. CND. Society has failed us. Lack of 'straights' in attendance.

Open drug dealing (always remember a group of lads stood by busy main junction by the Pyramid shouting "Crap hash! Shit deals!" as a very lengthy queue formed for their goods).

Open drug use (spliffs everywhere and not hidden).

Less obsession with what band were playing where (due to majority not having a programme as they skipped over the fence).

Open air cinema very popular with a thick sweet smog hanging over a field full of happy people.

More campfires. More sociable?

More danger (got chased by a knife wielding fruitcake for not handing over my stash on demand).

More weed/ acid. More chilled atmosphere at times amongst the madness?

Very few 30/ 40/ 50 year olds.

Predominantly white *as it still is to this day

No groups of lads in fancy dress/ girls in expensive designer wellies/ everyone looked a state.

Edited by Splonk

Better the super fence than no festival IMO. Definitely a different festival these days, in good and bad ways, I remember being shit scared crossing the bridge into the Pyramid stage field it was so rammed, people were jumping into the ditch to avoid the crush, frightening.

Having said that, I got a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach when I first saw the neon "Queue Here for Shangri-la, 68 minutes" sign in 2008 (I think), reminded me of Alton Towers *shivers*. I used to love walking down the old railway track with all the nutters, buying illicit booze of sellers on the way.

Still, things got to change, can't be sitting in a field listening to Hawkwind for the next 20 years.

Don't get the whole queuing thing to get into somewhere, theres that much going on theres no need to queue for things. Im sure there were people queuing to get into the NYC Downlow on the Wednesday night last year, the fucking Wednesday. You've just got here, have a bimble about FFS. I don't go to a festival to get into a nightclub.

Open air cinema very popular with a thick sweet smog hanging over a field full of happy people.

More campfires. More sociable?

I do miss those two. Cinema was a great field to just relax in. People don't sit round a tent campfire so much now.......guess there's far more to see and do these days. Strummerville is a bit of a hark back to those camp fire days though

I first attended as a 16 year old in 1997. Some old guy pissed on my leg and our tent got robbed.

Last year I walked past three girls walking through the Pyramid area on Wednesday complaining they hadn't cut the grass.I

I first attended in 1999. I was camped across from a stoner selling shots of tequila from out of the back of his white van for 50p a shot, had a table set up with the lemons and salt, he just smoked and slept when he wasn't serving up shots.

Last year during Chvrches I got pissed off as a young couple in front of us kept wanting to take group selfie shots with us and other random people during the performance which I was trying to enjoy.

Edited by swede

I do miss those two. Cinema was a great field to just relax in. People don't sit round a tent campfire so much now.......guess there's far more to see and do these days. Strummerville is a bit of a hark back to those camp fire days though

Cheers Keithy. I may give Strummerville a go this year.

Cinema field was my fav - hot sunny day - cigarette (with benefits) and a cider. Happy days.

Change is good. That doesn't mean nostalgia is bad and the old days won't have been preferred by festival goers back then.

I suppose I'm one of the recent converts... It wasn't the BBC that got me hooked. Rather I was trying to impress my then boyfriend now husband... He didn't think I could hack it being a pop princess...

2009 and I loved it. Now its our thing... But our experiences are different each time.