How have the sort of people who attend the festival changed & when?

gooner1990

The stone circle is a horrible place to be and one thing I really miss. But I think the prevalence of laughing gas idiots and lacking in percussionists and poi is more recent than the super fence. I definitely noticed the change after the last fallow year.

But I can remember spending time up there in 2010 I think chilling and the whole area was pointing out the people pissing in hedges to the green police and then cheering when they were got by the green police.

It could also be because there are more areas to sit and chill with the view over the festival now that the area above the park and flagtopia are open.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am returning for the first time since 2010 too... My first was in 1997. It's changed a lot since I first went, different people definitely go since festivals entered main stream culture whereas in the late 90s it was still a place that most people looked at you like you were insane if you said you were going...

I miss the old stone circle with it's travelers and druids, I miss not being able to contact people 24/7 because none of us had portable phones and the innate knowing that you would just find each other because that's what happens at Glastonbury... we always did too. I miss arriving at Pennards late Wednesday afternoon and standing in an almost empty field and I slightly resent the fact that the late night areas have dominated over the peaceful ambiance that used to exist in the south of the site... and I definitely miss the litre bottles of Brothers!

Having said all that, I don't miss the mud of the late 90s, it was unimaginable if you have only experienced the festival from the mid 00's (although I may be the only person in existence that wouldn't mind if it wasn't quite as hot as 2010) I think even the people like me that went in the 90's have changed with the age of the internet and the tide of social media etc... plus I am now 36 and definitely want more luxury than I did at 17! In 1997 and 98 I didn't even have wellies, I wore trainers and bin bags and slept 7 of us in a 4 man tent that was already moldy when we put it up. Now I have a bell tent. I think I've earned a comfortable sleep!

I miss not being able to contact people 24/7 because none of us had portable phones and the innate knowing that you would just find each other because that's what happens at Glastonbury... we always did too.

In those days most folks that found each other had to rely on the meeting points and message boards and I don't miss the latter. I don't think it was fun hanging around a place for several hours and missing some of the festival.

Of course the counterpoint is that there have been plenty of years where mobiles gave false confidence and you would fail to receive any text messages until the wee small hours when you'd get a barrage from folks telling you were they were at that time.

Ah yes.... I'll meet you by the cider bus on the hour, every hour.... What a nightmare that was! If you're a good timekeeper you'd spend half your festival waiting for the poor timekeeper who was busy out enjoying himself! I don't miss that!