How have the sort of people who attend the festival changed & when?

gooner1990

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On topic...

I've only seen Glastonbury over the past 10 years.

The biggest change in that time have been the major increase in Glamping, and the crowd that brings with it. Which seems to be a development out of the "leave a tent" brigade.

Difficult to say how this has changed the personality of the fest - like others I think the traditional activist/politically motivated crowd is still there, it's just no longer as large a share as I understand the 90s fest's had.

It is such an important part of the festival, I hope that element isn't eroded, and would love it to have greater importance to the festival in the future.

Most shocking was the realisation that there's a 'festival' in Shrewsbury.

Or did i dream that bit?

My festival discovery of last year and now planned to be a regular fixture in my festival calender. Farmer Phil's Festival at Rattlinghope near Shrewsbury. August 14-16 but you can camp there for up to a week either side at no extra charge to use it as a base for hill walking or whatever.

http://www.farmerphilsfestival.com/

All beers, ciders etc mainly from the barrel and £3 a pint. Decent food at sensible prices and a lovely atmosphere. A lot of locals who bring their dogs, camping chairs encouraged (the main stage is in a natural bowl so people don't end up blocking views).

In years gone by I used to feel quite comfortable walking around naked (mostly up in the Greenfields), as did a fair few others but I just don't feel that comfortable doing it now really which is a shame as being a naturist I used to love how accepting the festival was of it. Nowadays I do not trust the thinking of the security people so I only nude up in and around the Lost Horizons area as I just cannot be arsed (pun intended!) with any potential hassles.

I can't comment as I've only been to the last 5, but I can't help but think that people talking about how wonderful, lawless, wild, fringe and out of control it once was - maybe you're just reflecting on yourself. Maybe as you've got a bit older it is in fact now you that is no longer wild and out of control?

I can't comment as I've only been to the last 5, but I can't help but think that people talking about how wonderful, lawless, wild, fringe and out of control it once was - maybe you're just reflecting on yourself. Maybe as you've got a bit older it is in fact now you that is no longer wild and out of control?

But you have commented :)

I have been to every Glastonbury since 1993 and it has definitely changed. The travellers and all the weird and 'wild' vibes they brought to the festival are gone now as since the super fence went up, they have not been able to just get over the fence. In some ways I miss them as they really brought a true slice of counter culture to the place. I only find that sort of a feel up in the Greenfields now. Although also to some degree, in the dance areas too.

I still feel a sense of freedom at Glastonbury to some extent and it really is like no where else. However, some things have definitely got more controlled. I guess that has to happen in some ways to allow the festival to grow.

There are still plenty of places which feel free too though.

For me personally, I absolutely have changed in some ways. I no longer camp up in Pennards as I would rather camp somewhere more open and quiet. And I love that. That over the years my approach to the festival has changed. The one thing that will never change for me though is my love for the festival and how happy and free in many ways it does still make me feel :)

I'm lucky I live half way up a mountain and enjoy stunning views of open countryside from my garden. But a thought struck me today, with the majority of the UK population living in towns and cities, for how many people is Glastonbury one of their opportunities to sit and enjoy glorious countryside?

But you have commented :)

I have been to every Glastonbury since 1993 and it has definitely changed. The travellers and all the weird and 'wild' vibes they brought to the festival are gone now as since the super fence went up, they have not been able to just get over the fence.

I swear there still a few of them around as recently as 2004. I watched macca with a nice group of crusties. That year and maybe 2005 (can't remember much about that year to be honest) seemed to be the end of them though, in my mind.

The cost of some of the off site glamping places is extortion, but I notice they have mostly sold out. There will be quite a few well off people which I assume did not happen in the good old days.

I dunno, I think there were a fair few rich people when I first started going. But they seemed to just fit in with the general mayhem and were like minded people. We were all in it together back then, using the same campsites, the same shitters, eating the same food...money didn't really give an advantage.

I distinctly remember speaking to someone who turned out to be a millionaire in 1998 our so, he was wearing a top hat funnily enough. Lovely bloke, an animal rights activist.

Glamping attracts the wrong sort of richies

Edited by russycarps

I swear there still a few of them around as recently as 2004. I watched macca with a nice group of crusties. That year and maybe 2005 (can't remember much about that year to be honest) seemed to be the end of them though, in my mind.

Not that I went pre-super fence, but I did notice a difference of people at the festival in 2008 which was the year it didn't sell out until just before the festival started.

I dunno, I think there were a fair few rich people when I first started going. But they seemed to just fit in with the general mayhem and were like minded people. We were all in it together back then, using the same campsites, the same shitters, eating the same food...money didn't really give an advantage.

Russy - out of interest how long have you been attending Glastonbury and have you attended each one since you started going?

I distinctly remember speaking to someone who turned out to be a millionaire in 1998 our so, he was wearing a top hat funnily enough. Lovely bloke, an animal rights activist.

I would of loved to experience the pre fence festival stupidly I always talked myself out of going thinking I would not of coped.

luckily I have spoken and read lots from people who were there pre fence, and formed a understanding of how it was.

I would of loved to experience the pre fence festival stupidly I always talked myself out of going thinking I would not of coped.

I still kick myself to this day that I had the opportunity to go in 1999 & 2000 with friends but my naive 17/18 yr old self said the line up wasn't good enough for me and I couldn't really afford both that and Reading....sigh....

My first Glastonbury was in 2011 so i'm not in a great place to comment but I do find it ironic that things that were often maligned in the 70s/80s, by middle England are now (to summarise what others have said on this thread) places to be seen, join in a trend and do things to show off on Social Media by those very same people and maybe not as passionate about the event itself. Gentrification of sorts. This has been the case with all festivals but particuarly Glastonbury in my opinion. Similar thing has happened in the world of Football.

Of course I am generalising somewhat, but I won't ramble on too much and bore everybody's socks off!

Surely those sites only accommodate a tiny amount of people?

There have been folk in Winnebago type things for years, some of whom obviously are minted.

I've also known folks of various means who did it on various budgets.

A key thing for me is that before the fence some folk had a potential weekend for making shed loads of money, whether legit or not and whether malicious or not - the latter is the bit I don't miss personally as the year the Happy Mondays were there sticks out in my mind as one that was a bit mad - either 1990 or 2000 from a quick search?

Somebody posted elsewhere that they had invested in some overshoes for when they visited the toilet,
talking about showers and electricity,
The constant talk of smart phone chargers?!

Technology has enslaved a whole generation, How did this happen so easily?
Another post I've seen highlighting the sea of screens during gigs/festivals,
People don't watch the gig, they record it to watch it later,
No living in the moment, Always saving memories rather than making memories.

Although a seasoned festival goer I haven't been since 2010, I'm a little concerned that after 5 years away, we'll have lost a large chunk of the magic that makes Glastonbury unique.

Tell me It'll be okay?

Tell me you'll be living and breathing every second of the festival?

The irony of posting this on the internet is that I too am at risk of enslavement.

Somebody posted elsewhere that they had invested in some overshoes for when they visited the toilet,

talking about showers and electricity,

The constant talk of smart phone chargers?!

Technology has enslaved a whole generation, How did this happen so easily?

Another post I've seen highlighting the sea of screens during gigs/festivals,

People don't watch the gig, they record it to watch it later,

No living in the moment, Always saving memories rather than making memories.

Although a seasoned festival goer I haven't been since 2010, I'm a little concerned that after 5 years away, we'll have lost a large chunk of the magic that makes Glastonbury unique.

Tell me It'll be okay?

Tell me you'll be living and breathing every second of the festival?

The irony of posting this on the internet is that I too am at risk of enslavement.

Went last year after a 5 year break, didn't really notice much of a change in terms of the crowd. You should be fine

Things that are different now that I think are bad:

The stone circle is now a horrible place to be - that used to be the best part of the festival for me with all the campfires and percussionists. It has been ruined by people taking laughing gas.

No blokes selling 3 cans of Red Stripe for a fiver.

Things that are different now that I think are good:

My tent hasn't been robbed since 2000.
I no longer have to crap on an actual mountain of other people's crap balancing on the toilet seats in the portaloos.