How have the sort of people who attend the festival changed & when?

gooner1990

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that hasn't changed since the 80's and 90's is the Tories banning stuff:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2015/may/27/queens-speech-2015-politics-live#block-5565a95be4b08ac403af4af9

Psychoactive substances bill
The legislation to introduce a blanket ban on legal highs is to be introduced later this week. It will criminalise the trade in legal highs with prison sentences of up to 7 years but will not make personal possession a criminal offence.
The legislation will also have to distinguish between everyday psychoactive substances such as alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, food and some medicinal products and the new designer drugs which imitate more traditional illegal substances. This means it will be legislation to ban all psychoactive substances unless they are specifically excluded.

It definitely seems to have got a lot more 'trendy' since around 2009 onwards. Don't remember seeing the hunters/hotpants/flower garland brigade before then. I preferred the crowd before to be honest, but then again I only started going in 2003 so I'm sure some people would say the same about the place before the fence!

I agree with the OP, 2008 was a fantastic year, really friendly (and no problem getting a ticket as it didn't sell out!) :)

Around my mates in the later 90s, there was nowhere on the planet more 'trendy' than Glastonbury. Do I get a free pass because I came back 10 more times? A lot of judgemental bullshit on this thread.

Indeed, who can forget the anarchic Virgin Tent of 1999, where they gave out free fruit tea? Just round the corner from the Smirnoff Ice tent.

Ah - that Virgin tent brings back memories of that memorable mid nineties moment of corporate synergy with Richard Branson when Virgin Cola was the only soft drink available on the entire site!

dont you think it's the younger generation that should be finding a new festival, or starting their own?

Arent you embarrassed to be partying with your mums and dads?

Not having a go, just curious. I wouldnt have been seen dead at this glastonbury.

I don't know about others, but I was told about glasto by some of my mums hippie friends when i was 10 i think. No way would my parents ever go to it.

Partying with people old enough to be my mum and dad is part of it for me. It's whats makes it a nicer festival than lots of the others. There is something for everyone and not just young people wanting to get fucked up. I love that I can go make a pot, listen to some wise speakers, drink some ale all before sliding off to the naughty corner or Silver Hayes for some dirty under ground music.

I think the biggest change for me does come out of the proliferation of smart phones.

If you sat down on your own for a bit, you'd always strike up a conversation with the person next to you, and it felt really open and friendly for that. Now - one or both of you will get you phone out. To be honest - this is the same everywhere now, cafes, pubs, bus stops - everywhere, people look into their little window on their own world rather than looking out at the one they're sitting in. I'm as guilty as anyone of this.

Used all my upvotes for the day but I often think this. Add the media making everyone sure that people are nutcases, people just stay in their own little bubble because they think its safe. I have people tell me that they don't have time to say hello to strangers - don't have time?! You have to read stories like this to think that the world has gone a little bit insane with how it behaviours with social media, phones and judgement!

A little off the topic of Glastonbury I know. But I'm always off the opinion of treat people how I want to be treated - doesn't matter if people are arseholes to me, I will very rarely be one back because that's not how I want to be treated. You do learn as you get older than some people aren't worth your time and effort - but I will always be nice about it.

It used to be.

I'd definitely have to agree with you on this.

My first Glastonbury was 1997 and went annually (pretty much) up to 2011. Before the use of mobile phones you were unaware of any outside news and it took a couple of days before you caught up when you returned home. It was as close to being in the Big Brother House that you could get without having to be a fame hungry stain on humanity.

Had Michael Jackson died pre-2000 it would have been passed off as the annual Glastonbury celebrity death rumour and pretty much ignored until you returned home.

Edited by Jelly Belly

I think the biggest change for me does come out of the proliferation of smart phones.

If you sat down on your own for a bit, you'd always strike up a conversation with the person next to you, and it felt really open and friendly for that. Now - one or both of you will get you phone out. To be honest - this is the same everywhere now, cafes, pubs, bus stops - everywhere, people look into their little window on their own world rather than looking out at the one they're sitting in. I'm as guilty as anyone of this.

yep! totally agree.... and I'm guilty off the same!.. i bet there would be a totally different atmosphere if all phones had to go and stay in the lockups till monday morning! ... ,

I went to Reading Festival last year. and camped on my own but had friends to meet up with who were working. On the saturday night, I was watching the Arctic Monkeys and people looked at me as if I was a loonatic for trying to make some conversation (At the back near one of the bars) - until a bloke who was in his 40's was actually receptive to me, I ended up buying him a pint!

No lie, people seemed more interested in taking selfies etc and just engaging in their own groups than anything else.

I used to like Glastonbury a lot more because people loved talking to randoms, now it just seems that society in general just wants to be in their own little bubbles.

I actually loved it in 2013, on the Friday night most of our crowd headed home after Arcadia (think Andy C had played) 3 of us decided to keep going and head on down to shangri-la and a bloke came running up to us and said 'all my mates have gone to bed and i've just seen most of your group do the same, can i come and party with you!?!' We took him in and the four of us had a right laugh, drinking and sharing drugs until 6am. :)

I went to Reading Festival last year. and camped on my own but had friends to meet up with who were working. On the saturday night, I was watching the Arctic Monkeys and people looked at me as if I was a loonatic for trying to make some conversation (At the back near one of the bars) - until a bloke who was in his 40's was actually receptive to me, I ended up buying him a pint!

No lie, people seemed more interested in taking selfies etc and just engaging in their own groups than anything else.

I used to like Glastonbury a lot more because people loved talking to randoms, now it just seems that society in general just wants to be in their own little bubbles.

I actually loved it in 2013, on the Friday night most of our crowd headed home after Arcadia (think Andy C had played) 3 of us decided to keep going and head on down to shangri-la and a bloke came running up to us and said 'all my mates have gone to bed and i've just seen most of your group do the same, can i come and party with you!?!' We took him in and the four of us had a right laugh, drinking and sharing drugs until 6am. :)

THIS is the Glastonbury that I intend to be at in four weeks!

:)

Ben

As a frequent random stranger, I can confirm people WILL try to adopt you for the evening. One of my biggest regrets was not carrying on the night with a group I met in 2013, as I'd agreed to meet up with the kids (we still had a good evening, but I feel that staying with those folks would have led to a legendary night of fun of a flavour I'd never have found for myself).

I don't care what your parents told you. Talk to strangers.

I got mixed feelings about it. It was wild and daft back then, but so was I. it's middle aged and sedate now, but so am I. I guess it's grown up with me.

I tink there's a decent point from Russy. If I was 18 or 20, I wouldn't go, I don't think. I'd probably head to Boomtown. Right now, it fits me just fine. I love EOTR, but if you have a beer or a conversation, some people get annoyed there, it's a little bit too rarefied and middle class for me to genuinely give it my entire heart. We upset some peope last year by laughing or some other heinous crime.

Phones/ cameras and the ubiquity of contact have changed many many things, mass gatherings, be they festivals, football matches. gigs or weddings. Not for the better, I reckon, but you know, as I've been told many times, I'm King Cnut. Or something similar.

Edited by Mardy

I've only been going since 2008 but I do think it's a bit more "touristy" now. There certainly seems to be a growing number of people who only go to say they've been. But if one of them gets the bug, more power to them.

All of that being said, we've had some great chats with folks. Met some great people last year, a lovely older lady and her granddaughter (the lady was a local add had camped in Michael's garden for some of the early festivals) and some of the festival medical nursing team who plied me with "medicinal" alcohol because I had my arm in a sling.

Just spent half an hour reading through this and it's really interesting, I find it really difficult to pin down exactly what has changed and why but I do think the following:

Festivals, full stop, have become fashionable. There are people I know, typically 'geezer' type blokes who a few years ago would not have dreamt of going to a festival. Now they go all the time. In years gone by they would have deemed festivals to be the domain of hippies, mettlers etc. then gradually through festivals like creamfields SW4 they became acceptable which led them on to places like V, and then eventually a festival was a festival and it was the donething regardless of what festival it was.

From my point of view I guess I am the bucket list type, so many times I watched the BBC coverage on TV and thought to myself I have to go next year. That is all very well at the time but it was only this year I made a real effort to get tickets and did so. I think the fact that Glastonbury is now almost an instant sell out is a self fulfilling proficey, it makes it popular because it's is a real coup to get tickets, but at the same time I think it does mean that it wall always keep the real undesirables away because they will never bother to make the effort to get tickets.

I've only been going since 2008 but I do think it's a bit more "touristy" now. There certainly seems to be a growing number of people who only go to say they've been. But if one of them gets the bug, more power to them.

We had the same (ish) steady group go from 2004 onwards, then my mates girlfriend came in 2011 and 2013 with us. In 2013 a couple of her mates came as well, seemed to really engross it and have a good time.

However when I saw them in a pub in Oct 2013 right before the tickets for the 2014 festival went on sale I asked one of them if she was going again and she said 'no i've been now so i don't feel like i need to go again'

It turned out it was part of her 'bucket' before 30 list and wasn't really a big music/festival fan anyway.....sigh.

Festivals, full stop, have become fashionable. There are people I know, typically 'geezer' type blokes who a few years ago would not have dreamt of going to a festival. Now they go all the time. In years gone by they would have deemed festivals to be the domain of hippies, mettlers etc. then gradually through festivals like creamfields SW4 they became acceptable which led them on to places like V, and then eventually a festival was a festival and it was the donething regardless of what festival it was.

This.

My brother (4 years my junior) used to call me a 'grunger' 'stinking hippie' 'grebo' for going to Reading in my early festivalling days.

I remember him giving me a load of stick before going to Glastonbury 2004, he was more of a 'global gathering and 'creamfields' day ticket type person. His idea of a decent night out is wearing really expensive clothes, doing coke all night and talking to some girl who only really has any interest in how much money you have (he lives in Clapham and works in Mayfair - I'm sure you can picture the type :) )

However some of his mates are ok, and like their music and they persuaded him to go to V in Staffordshire in 2011, that resulted in him attending Glastonbury in 2013 and loving it (although he failed in tickets for last year and this much to his annoyance!). I met up with him twice for drinks and he had a great time and I'm all for including other people in going, but it really said something to me that someone who 9 years earlier had ridiculed me for going was now attending himself and liking a lot of the line up!

Not particularly a comment on the people more on the fest itself

2000 was downright dangerous. Far too many people on site.

I found myself in a crush on the one bridge joining John Peel to Dance just as Fatboy. slim had finished in dance and I feared for my life

Truly

Although the crowd is becoming more middle-class, mainstream I think my own personal position is making the festival a lot more enjoyable. Schooling in Bath, and being very social with various groups, it amazing how many of my Year 12 pals are going and this means that I'll actually enjoy the festival as a whole a lot more from a personnel point of view.

Despite the first point there seems to be many people who can Glastonbury, Glastonbury very well. And these tend to be the sorts of people who are open to conversation with anyone and just release themselves from the outside world for a few days. Provided that these people exist I'm absolutely fine. But hopefully ultimately the engulfing of the festival by the mainstream will not materialise to the extent that the expected and common behaviour of the Glasto goer becomes one of mass consumerism and indulgence. (don't get me started on 'the devil of consumerism')

I also hope that the festival doesn't alter their traditions and quality of performing acts to suit with the audience which is what is beginning to show at other festivals like Reading a bit, and that the punter, be it a mainstream punter enjoys and opens up to the quite truly epic eclectic mix of artists and arts. This is where Metallica really reassured me of the flexibility of many Glastonbury goers. God forbid that the chance of a proper rock/metal set is eradicated by the sweep of a mainstream audience.

Edited by willutalk

I can't say that I miss the barracking and heckling that used to happen as you walked out above the Greenfields from people sitting on the roofs of their vehicles - it was merciless, unwavering, and targetted at anyone in their field of vision.

I never witnessed any of that - as in not a single incident and me and my mates would hang around that area a fair bit in those days. Guess we were lucky.

Just spent half an hour reading through this and it's really interesting, I find it really difficult to pin down exactly what has changed and why but I do think the following:

From my point of view I guess I am the bucket list type, so many times I watched the BBC coverage on TV and thought to myself I have to go next year. That is all very well at the time but it was only this year I made a real effort to get tickets and did so. I think the fact that Glastonbury is now almost an instant sell out is a self fulfilling proficey, it makes it popular because it's is a real coup to get tickets, but at the same time I think it does mean that it wall always keep the real undesirables away because they will never bother to make the effort to get tickets.

You're going to get destroyed on here for that 'undesirables' quote. I know what you mean, but not everybody who can't afford a ticket is an undesirable and I think that might anger some people!

I agree though - I've met up with plenty of people who laughed at me for festivals at school for beers at festivals.

Edited by efcfanwirral

really? i was under the impression that there was lots of crime before the super fence went up?

You maybe right. Not sure. It's just that I was never privy to crime until after the super fence went up and orgainised criminal gangs swept in to the festival. These gangs weren't the misfits, crusties etc. You could tell who they were because they stood out and one of the reasons they stood out was because they were quite openly violent in broad daylight as well as at night. I came to no harm and had no problem partying with the party animals.

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick