How have the sort of people who attend the festival changed & when?

gooner1990

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it never.

Well at least in the 90's it wasn't

A lot of bad shit happened in Glastonbury before the fence.

It was a utopia in so far as you were totally cut off from the outside world and were amongst largely like-minded people for a long weekend, with most of the c**ts of the world wanting nothing to do with the place. These days there's no difference at all between outside and inside the fence.

A couple of drug dealers with machetes was a small price to pay. Besides, they were always friendly to me.

There's no doubt in my mind that the super fence irrevocably altered the previous incarnation of the festival and yes a whole 'edginess' was lost forever. I also have no doubt that many of today's attendees would shit their load if they found they were sharing the festival with all the drongos, misfits and lunatics that attended in the years just prior to the super fence going up. However, I don't think they were always there either ie in the very early years of the festival. So, change has always gone on. I guess I'm doing these people an injustice by saying what I have as the only people they hurt were themselves as far as I could tell. They were far too busy getting slaughtered 24 hours a day to go robbing tents or people, on the whole.

really? i was under the impression that there was lots of crime before the super fence went up?

Yes there is. If you believe that then why pay over £200 to be inside the fence for 5 days?

Because I like getting smashed with my mates while listening to a broad range of music.

I'm under no illusions that I'm entering a special place on the fringes of society though. I'm not.

I think it’s only reflective of changes in society. People will always say ‘it’s not as good as it was’ whether it be music, football or whatever.

I think we tend to concentrate on the more negative aspects such as the lack of imagination, instagram/selfies etc rather than more positive things which is the reason why year after year we continue to go back.

I think it’s only reflective of changes in society. People will always say ‘it’s not as good as it was’ whether it be music, football or whatever.

I think we tend to concentrate on the more negative aspects such as the lack of imagination, instagram/selfies etc rather than more positive things which is the reason why year after year we continue to go back.

what positive things have the new crowd brought?

selfies, NOS and festival-fashion?

There two big factors that have changed the festival in my eyes one is the fence, its the made the festival a lot safer and a lot less exciting.

I loved the festival before the fence but it was crazy and genuinely out of control. That rizla tent on one if the main strips was like a whos who of Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool and London's crime gangs. It's was nuts. I saw some crazy shit and the festival had to change. Oh and some one was gonna die in crush eventually, it was a matter of time.

That while getting rid of a lot of the problems has taken a lot of the spark out. The travellers and mad heads where a massive part of the festival and they've gone.

But on balance it was a good thing, no muggings and less theft is a massive plus. The crowd numbers being under control has kept the festival going.

The other massive change is mobile phones, and importantly reliable mobile phones.

In the past if you lost your mates that was it you had to find new ones. But you you did and so did everyone else. Now a lot more people stick to there gang which is sad.

to pick up on Neil's point, the fact that he and others he knows were sacked just for attending Glasto in the 80's is crazy!

On another note, my boss (my work situation is annoying, I have 2 bosses - one that I directly work for and my on site boss as I am effectively a contractor - this refers to my direct boss) used to be in the Army and asked when I submitted the AL request what it was for. I told him I was going to Glastonbury Festival and he basically (not in as many words) said that I am a hippy and threatened to cancel my request. I only pushed it through because of support from my on site boss. I work for a security contractor (although I am not security - told you it was annoying!) and my boss is worried that if I go to Glasto I will put his firm in a negative light. He also wanted me to attend the London office for a drug test the day I return but my on site boss vetoed it. Some people still have prejudice against the place it would seem. I am attending under the understanding that I mention not who I work for, where I work nor wear or bring anything Glastonbury related on(to) my site.

Re: the demographic that attends, I didn't get a ticket last year, but I remember seeing an awful lot more of the type I know as 'the yuppie brigade' in 2013. By that I mean the 14-17 odd year olds at their first PROPER festival (I don't consider Reading etc to be proper festivals having been to Glasto now) - I struck up conversations with a few of them in queues (I remember them being drawn to me like flies to shit as I had an 18+ wristband and they wanted drink from the bars) and all they were worried about was somewhere to plug their straighteners in and having to stand round all day in the sun! That is the annoying thing a bout the place nowadays, with the increased profile everyone wants to go and its only when they get there and realise how BIG the place is that they really THINK about what they have bought tickets for!

Edited by mungo57

There two big factors that have changed the festival in my eyes one is the fence, its the made the festival a lot safer and a lot less exciting.

I loved the festival before the fence but it was crazy and genuinely out of control. That rizla tent on one if the main strips was like a whos who of Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool and London's crime gangs. It's was nuts. I saw some crazy shit and the festival had to change. Oh and some one was gonna die in crush eventually, it was a matter of time.

That while getting rid of a lot of the problems has taken a lot of the spark out. The travellers and mad heads where a massive part of the festival and they've gone.

But on balance it was a good thing, no muggings and less theft is a massive plus. The crowd numbers being under control has kept the festival going.

The other massive change is mobile phones, and importantly reliable mobile phones.

In the past if you lost your mates that was it you had to find new ones. But you you did and so did everyone else. Now a lot more people stick to there gang which is sad.

the worst crush I've ever been in was in 2013...

For me I cut off the outside world when I'm in the fence, no phone, internet, not bothered about whatever news is going on in the real world.

You're as cut off as you make yourself

Completely agree. Just because the technology is there to stay connected doesn't mean you have to use it.

It definitely seems to have got a lot more 'trendy' since around 2009 onwards. Don't remember seeing the hunters/hotpants/flower garland brigade before then. I preferred the crowd before to be honest, but then again I only started going in 2003 so I'm sure some people would say the same about the place before the fence!

I agree with the OP, 2008 was a fantastic year, really friendly (and no problem getting a ticket as it didn't sell out!) :)

To me Glastonbury punters have gone a bit like new labour. Keeping to the middle ground and left almost being a dirty word. Too many do not appreciate the political history. The think the CND sign is a pretty little pendant to wear with a daisy chain. Leftfield still tries to educate the masses but the 'bucket listers' just walk past and tick 'seeing' it off their list.

I love how the artistes try and get their message across in the naughty corner yet so many really don't get it.

Oh and while I'm at it. The daddy's paying gap year oh shit my hunters have a speck of dirt on them selfie stick ipad waving shouting fookin brian brigade really need to look up and SEE what is around them.

(Shouldn't post after a long night shift)

To me Glastonbury punters have gone a bit like new labour. Keeping to the middle ground and left almost being a dirty word. Too many do not appreciate the political history. The think the CND sign is a pretty little pendant to wear with a daisy chain. Leftfield still tries to educate the masses but the 'bucket listers' just walk past and tick 'seeing' it off their list.

I love how the artistes try and get their message across in the naughty corner yet so many really don't get it.

Oh and while I'm at it. The daddy's paying gap year oh shit my hunters have a speck of dirt on them selfie stick ipad waving shouting fookin brian brigade really need to look up and SEE what is around them.

(Shouldn't post after a long night shift)

U ok hun?