Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, HoTWire said:

Re:How popular Adele is... it isn't scientific, but James Corden's car pool karaoke with her has 77 Million views, more than One Direction, Sia and Chris Martin combined.  More even than Bieber.  She is pretty popular.

her Hello single has 1.2 BILLION views on youtube. it was only put up 4 months ago!

by contrast, Coldplay's most viewed is Paradise, with 490m views, and that was released 4 years ago....

Edited by ghostdancer1

1 hour ago, dooke10 said:

I think people on here either do not know or just underestimate how big Adele is. I mean this completely on sales. I say this as someone who doesn't like her and won't be watching here.

'21' is the 4th biggest selling album in Britain EVER during a period of huge illegal downloading etc. Only Abba/Queen Greatest Hits and Sgt Peppers have sold more.

'25' is the biggest selling album in a calendar year for over 10 years despite coming out in late November (8million in 5 weeks) - Over 2.5

She is the first artist to have the biggest selling album of the year 3 times since they started tracking in 1992.

This last stat I cannot confirm fully as its pieced together from a Pointless question but in the top selling 100 albums of the last 15 years Beyonce doesn't have any, Adele has the top 2.

I think the crowd could be huge (Not me i'm at New Order)

No one denies she has sold a lot of records.

The question is will she be a draw for a crowd of pissed up, drugged up reprobates who are looking to party at ten thirty on a saturday night.

My guess is the crowd will start big, but there will be a mass exodus after about half an hour when the awful realisation that they've made a terrible mistake in choosing to watch dreary ballads at glastonbury hits home.

Edited by russycarps

3 minutes ago, russycarps said:

The question is will she be a draw for a crowd of pissed up, drugged up reprobates who are looking to party at ten thirty on a saturday night.

My guess is the crowd will start big, but there will be a mass exodus after about half an hour when the awful realisation that they've made a terrible mistake in choosing to watch dreary ballads at glastonbury hits home.

Every chance you are right there Russy. I just think there is an underestimation of her, she is bigger than Beyonce or Taylor Swifts but many here would not think that. Probably as she is British not American and we don't always realise the impact our artists have overseas. 

It will depend on the performance on if the crowd stays I suppose. That Brit Awards performance years ago was pretty impactful even to a grizzly punk like me. I reckon she might have something up her sleeve. 

37 minutes ago, HoTWire said:

Does Sia being co-headline at V stop her from playing Glastonbury?  I'm guessing not?

On the V Festival news it claims Sia is a UK Festival Exclusive...

Adding to V Festival 2016’s international superstar line-up and will be Australian superstar songstress, Sia, and superstar DJ, David Guetta – who are both UK festival exclusives for V Festival 2016.

2 minutes ago, curlyjake said:

Adding to V Festival 2016’s international superstar line-up and will be Australian superstar songstress, Sia, and superstar DJ, David Guetta – who are both UK festival exclusives for V Festival 2016.

That is a shame, I've got a lot of time for her.

33 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I think you're on the money. Selling a bucket load of records doesn't equate to being an entertaining festival headliner. If she played for an hour and blasted out her hits, I think all of her fans would be satisfied. I just struggle to see how she will hold the interest of the kind of crowd you detailed for 90-120 minutes.

I reckon Coldplay will edge it. They're probably attracting a similar mainstream audience, what might make the difference is that NO will probably appeal to more of that audience than BMTH. Also as others have said I can see people leaving Adele pretty early whereas people will hang about at Coldplay waiting for the fan favourites. 

18 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think you're on the money. Selling a bucket load of records doesn't equate to being an entertaining festival headliner. If she played for an hour and blasted out her hits, I think all of her fans would be satisfied. I just struggle to see how she will hold the interest of the kind of crowd you detailed for 90-120 minutes.

It won't be that sort of crowd though. They'll all be at New Order/Arcadia/The Naughty Corner/Silver Hayes/Passed out in a ditch.

Edited by Hugh Jass

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Hi,

Has there been any update please? Last time I looked it was: Muse/LCD Soundsystem; Adele/New Order (def); Coldplay (def)/Bring Me the Horizon, with Radiohead also knocking about. Any movement or do I have to read the whole thread?!

Ta!

Nah, that's the gist of it still...

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Hi,

Has there been any update please? Last time I looked it was: Muse/LCD Soundsystem; Adele/New Order (def); Coldplay (def)/Bring Me the Horizon, with Radiohead also knocking about. Any movement or do I have to read the whole thread?!

Ta!

Think that pretty much sums it up.

There was a little bit of talk about Disclouse being Friday other headliner and a bit about Muse playing a spot which didn't involve headlining, but that's it

2 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

That was the last year I went to V, 2006

Its frightening to see how much it has changed since then, in 2006 we had Radiohead, Morrisey, Weller, Beck, Gomez, Charlatans, Groove Armada, Echo and the Bunnymen, Faithless, The Divine Comedy, Kasabian, Editors, Biffy,....

Saying that, it still wasn't a particularly nice festival then. Not a great atmosphere, and you had to queue ages to buy tokens to allow you to queue for ages again to use those tokens to buy beer 

I wouldn't' be anywhere near it there these days with the lineups its had recently

Yeah it was the last year I went as well, apart from the music it was just awful.  The food, the majority of the other festival goers, the camping, the queues, the atmosphere. 

Just now, glimmers_of_hope said:

Yeah it was the last year I went as well, apart from the music it was just awful.  The food, the majority of the other festival goers, the camping, the queues, the atmosphere. 

which one did you go to? I went to the northern one that year and thought it was pretty good all round (apart from the weather!)

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

which one did you go to? I went to the northern one that year and thought it was pretty good all round (apart from the weather!)

Radiohead at V Chelmsford was a very pleasant experience.

I went to Staffordshire the following year, I think, and fucking hated it.

Been to loads of V's and never had a stinker. Don't understand why people can get so annoyed by its lineup these days, it's been pretty much a pop festival for years give with Kasabian/Killers/KoL as your token headliner.

Last time I attended, I saw the Roses at Chelmsford where they played to a crowd of half the size that Example had played to a few hours earlier. Says it all really.

2 hours ago, curlyjake said:

ooh bollocks!!! :mellow:

I did V97, safe to say the festival has changed much since then.

I've heard that you are very likely to get piss thrown at you - can anyone who's actually been qualify this?

In 97, some prick pissed on my tent while I was in it. When I got out to confront him, he just smirked at me as he was backed up by half a dozen mates and I was on my own.