Headliners 2016

thewayiam

47 minutes ago, DJ Cull said:

I don't think Murphy's got that big an ego, he's just very certain about what he wants for his band. Don't forget he did a co-headlining tour with Hot Chip where they took it in turns to headline. Personally whichever stage they play on at whatever time I'll watch them, although if they did clash with Radiohead it'd be a tough decision to make.

for me the potential spanner in the works is the Despacio incident in 2014 where the plug got pulled because other staged in Silver Hayes were complaining. As I recall that really pissed Murphy off, so I hope he's got over it.

I like James Murphy too, but he does have a bit of an ego I think. His rants on Facebook etc are always amusing though. Hot Chip and LCD are good friends and shared a member (Al Doyle) plus they're about the same size. I think given LCD are headlining most festivals, he would be within his rights to think third down on the Pyramid would be a bit below them. 

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody will be interested in reading all of this (don't know why I did), but Coldplay have pretty much confirmed they will be going straight back in the studio after this 18 month tour. So this is not a goodbye. Glastonbury 2022?

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/coldplay-exclusive-interview-with-nmes-2016-godlike-geniuses-0

This could be a bit left field and could be shot down by the British band theory, but I still think there's a shout for ACDC. They're 3/5 British, with another member, Angus, being Scottish born. It's not like the Eavii to manipulate facts much. Muse could sub into them. 

The reasons why I feel it is likely are that they are WATERTIGHT when it comes to announcing their dates. Everyone who follows them closely knows they're going to be playing Japan and South America this year, but nothing. Not even a sniff of a date announcement yet. Secondly, their European tour finishes June 12th. In Aarhus. No offence to our Danish cousins, but there's no way that will be the last European date, they'll play into August, before South America and the Far East. 

They have also had Glastonbury on their radar for a while, with Angus expressing some interest. One fact is beyond question. If Angus wants to play and the terms are agreeable (my wobble point), they play. 100%

See you Saturday night. ;-) 

I really can't see AC/DC playing. When there are such strong arguments for Adele, Muse and Radiohead it's so hard to see where they fit in.

That being said, if there's a mahoosive curveball and we get a completely left field headliner,  AC/DC are perhaps the most likely of all the options. I just think money will always be a stumbling with them.

Edited by jparx

37 minutes ago, Chris Lfc said:

Wouldn't it not make more sense for BMTH to sub coldplay instead of being on the other stage? Although id choose to watch Coldplay over them id be pretty gutted that id have to choose 1 or the other.

I know there's just been the debate that subs don't have to have any musical relation to the headliner (which I agree with) but could you imagine BMTH followed by Coldplay? That would be the weirdest sub ever, I don't think it's likely at all.

21 hours ago, Alan_C said:

Nobody will be interested in reading all of this (don't know why I did), but Coldplay have pretty much confirmed they will be going straight back in the studio after this 18 month tour. So this is not a goodbye. Glastonbury 2022?

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/coldplay-exclusive-interview-with-nmes-2016-godlike-geniuses-0

2022? That's be a bit too much of a gap for them on current trends!

1 hour ago, dylangraham said:

I know there's just been the debate that subs don't have to have any musical relation to the headliner (which I agree with) but could you imagine BMTH followed by Coldplay? That would be the weirdest sub ever, I don't think it's likely at all.

I don't think BMTH are going to sub Coldplay, but I don't think it would have been any stranger than Nick Cave subbing Mumfords. 

I love it when Glastonbury throw in an act that challenges festival goers perception of what a 'headliner band' should be (Metallica, Beyonce, Kanye), even if it turns out to be crud. It's exciting and part of the build up. Though, I can't help but struggle to imagine Adele headlining the Pyramid, despite it obviously being a massive booking. Her songs are very personal and bar Rolling in the Deep, I'm not sure they'll work. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong of course. 

1 hour ago, Robster86 said:

I love it when Glastonbury throw in an act that challenges festival goers perception of what a 'headliner band' should be (Metallica, Beyonce, Kanye), even if it turns out to be crud. It's exciting and part of the build up. Though, I can't help but struggle to imagine Adele headlining the Pyramid, despite it obviously being a massive booking. Her songs are very personal and bar Rolling in the Deep, I'm not sure they'll work. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong of course. 

See, I think her ballad, anthem style of songwriting means she'll just have some belting sing alongs on the pyramid (whether you like that or not is your call), but I can see it "working"

2 hours ago, Robster86 said:

Though, I can't help but struggle to imagine Adele headlining the Pyramid, despite it obviously being a massive booking. Her songs are very personal and bar Rolling in the Deep, I'm not sure they'll work. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong of course. 

This is my worry with her, too. Hard to imagine staying interested in a 90minute+ set that includes 1 or 2 lively songs with the rest being ballads. If it's true she is nervous abut it now they would have to be very careful about people leaving half way through her set to find something more upbeat.

19 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

This is my worry with her, too. Hard to imagine staying interested in a 90minute+ set that includes 1 or 2 lively songs with the rest being ballads. If it's true she is nervous abut it now they would have to be very careful about people leaving half way through her set to find something more upbeat.

Especially if she does the Saturday night!! I wouldn't mind seeing her in an earlier slot or (hypothetically) on the Sunday maybe, but I always want my Saturday headliner to be a party! 

Edited by JoBalls

Yeah I agree fully. I would love to see her as I was actually at The Brit Awards when she sang "Someone Like You" and her voice was incredible so it woild be good to hear her again but not in a headline slot. Sunday afternoon maybe? In the slot Hozier played last year could be a good place to put her?

Only issue is that she is definitely too big of an act to play too far down on the bill - but if she is as nervous as we've heard then maybe she'll be happy to accept it?

I agree. Adele doesn't work as a Pyramid headliner for me. This is why I think she could co-headline with someone else to balance it out. Adele could do a 75 minute set playing before Radiohead, who would be a more traditional headliner. I think Adele would struggle and even her biggest fans would lose some interest if she played a traditional 90-120 minute headliner set.

Edit: I'm all for new headliners and I have no problem with any genre of act headlining, I just think Adele's style would struggle to entertain in that setting if it went on for too long.

Edited by jparx

11 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Yeah I agree fully. I would love to see her as I was actually at The Brit Awards when she sang "Someone Like You" and her voice was incredible so it woild be good to hear her again but not in a headline slot. Sunday afternoon maybe? In the slot Hozier played last year could be a good place to put her?

Only issue is that she is definitely too big of an act to play too far down on the bill - but if she is as nervous as we've heard then maybe she'll be happy to accept it?

2 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Yes I know, I was speaking hypothetically - basically she's just not suitable for Friday or Saturday party time.

I would love to see Adele and would go regardless I think (unless it clashed with LCD Soundsystem). Belting out Rolling in the Deep and Hometown Glory at Glastonbury would be quite special. There's still plenty of time after hours to get your party on. I do get it though, a lot of people won't go because Friday and Saturday is party time. It might mean there is a good even split between other stages though, which is a good thing for the festival I guess. 

I really flipping hope I get a ticket in the resale. 

1 hour ago, wilem said:

See, I think her ballad, anthem style of songwriting means she'll just have some belting sing alongs on the pyramid (whether you like that or not is your call), but I can see it "working"

Yeah, you may have a point there. I think it's pretty much certain she'll put in an outstanding performance.