Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Finding leto14 said:

Interesting. Just re-watched Matt Bellamy interview with Zane Lowe from November, speaking about Glasto and how they've headlined twice already and only a handful of bands have done 3 times as if he takes pride of it. 

Really can't see them accepting anything less. They're either there headlining or not. Will be astounded if not

Yup, I posted that video here the other day and think the same way. I guess his view could have changed since November but he seems very keen on headlining.

Ed Sheeran and Foo Fighters if they are active are nailed on for next year I'd say. The third spot is less clear, but you can guarantee a lot of people on here will be obsessing over it being Stone Roses, Prince or Fleetwood Mac.

Edited by Alan_C

When you look down the list of headliners over the years, who even is there left who could realistically headline next year out of past headliners? (if they were telling the truth about 4/6 of the 16/17 headliners). If you assume that Radiohead, Coldplay and Muse did play this year, that would only leave one spot left for a past headliner next year. Looking down the list of past headliners, you're left with the likes of Blur, The Cure, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney and Gorillaz (very doubtful!). Then after that you would have to start to look at unrealistic ones like Oasis, R.E.M., Pulp. I can't see the likes of Arctic Monkeys being active or returning so quick as 2017. It probably was inaccurate information, but interesting all of the same.

25 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

When you look down the list of headliners over the years, who even is there left who could realistically headline next year out of past headliners? (if they were telling the truth about 4/6 of the 16/17 headliners). If you assume that Radiohead, Coldplay and Muse did play this year, that would only leave one spot left for a past headliner next year. Looking down the list of past headliners, you're left with the likes of Blur, The Cure, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney and Gorillaz (very doubtful!). Then after that you would have to start to look at unrealistic ones like Oasis, R.E.M., Pulp. I can't see the likes of Arctic Monkeys being active or returning so quick as 2017. It probably was inaccurate information, but interesting all of the same.

U2... gulp!

28 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

How have you left Skunk Anansie and Travis off your list?!

1 hour ago, Alan_C said:

I've always thought Mumfords would return tout de suite. Seem like a band who are on the good side of the festival with how many times they've played in their short career and having their own stage takeover thing at one point.

Edit: tho thinking about it, this is only next year we're talking about and they'll probably have a year off.

Edited by dentalplan

Just now, jonodillieono said:

He had an off day through no fault of his own. The man is still a legend and he deserves another chance

I don't think he had an off day. There was a couple of boo-boos, but on the whole I really enjoyed it. The thing is, that's exactly what happens when you book Kanye, some people will love it, some people will hate it. It'll be unpredictable, some mad shit will happen and not work.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Whose fault was it that he decided not to have anyone else with him on stage?

Fantastic choice IMHO, one of the big strengths of his set. After a petition demands him to be replaced with a rock band, he makes a point of illuminating the vast empty stage with him stood alone with just a microphone in hand. Completely different to how Jay Z tackled it, completely uncompromising. And then he immediately launches into "that that don't kill me can only make me stronger".

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Whose fault was it that he decided not to have anyone else with him on stage?

To be fair, just when it looked like he was dying up there, he invited a guest on and that ended up being the worst part of the show.

Now the new album is around the corner, I definitely feel like Kanye headlined a year too early.

34 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

To be fair, just when it looked like he was dying up there, he invited a guest on and that ended up being the worst part of the show.

Now the new album is around the corner, I definitely feel like Kanye headlined a year too early.

To be fairer, inviting Bon Iver onto the stage, does not a spectacular stage show make.

Edited by stuartbert two hats