Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

9 hours ago, TiZuff said:

Can anyone direct me to stuff that’s on this  year that’s like the following artists

jon talabot

dj koze

the field 

thanking you 

These are DJs that I like so looking at the Silver Hayes lineup (and I expect/hope that they would be playing elsewhere as well)

Palms Trax

Leon Vynehall

Ross from Friends

Midland

Ben UFO

+ More

The Field is pretty unique and that Kompakt records sound I think is out of fashion at the moment but there will be plenty of DJs with the above sound playing throughout

13 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I'm not only into industrial! (in fact, my 'best' techno would be euphoric and quite chordant/choral!)

But yes, they are great. They play everything live and, if they are to be believed, arrive at a gig without a 'setlist' as such. They just set off and riff off one another and see where the tracks take them. Despite their predilection for 'noise', they do end up with some good structure, and most of the tracks have a banging beat and are very danceable. With the clarity of the system on Glade cleaning up their sound, they should be awesome. I can't wait to see some people's faces as their performances are...erm...robust!

Ben

Just watched a tiny little bit and they look a bit tasty - never heard of them before - what stage are they on? Might have just jumped into my must see's - i love a live electronic set. 

On 5/7/2019 at 2:28 PM, hmmmloddy said:

Alright, here's a quick stab at somewhere to share and discover sets (mixing not live production) from DJs on this years line up. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BzyCqFTgA8W64VGxlTA-ctmum77HUPvjltC8MJ8K0uc/edit#gid=0

Added a couple myself plus a handful from recent pages on this thread. If any of you have really strong recommendations and good example sets to share, stick them in here. I'll also pull stuff from the forum across from time to time if it's missing.

PS, I don't have the time to 'admin' this properly so if you see a problem, an error or an opportunity to improve then feel free to edit it. Hopefully this gathers enough momentum to  help us all discover some new acts and doesn't just gather dust / tail spin in to a debate about genres ?

Was just doing a quick bit of research before I added DJ Zinc's Essential Mix from late 2016 to the spreadsheet, when I found this on Eats Everything's Facebook page - first 20 mins of Eats Everything, Zinc, Special Request and more doing their Jungle/Hardcore set at Boomtown last year. Will get you right in the mood on a Friday. Side note - the DJ Zinc mix I've added is two and a half years old, but I still listen to it a lot. Bass, breaks, MCs and vibes, if that's your tipple 

14 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I'm not only into industrial! (in fact, my 'best' techno would be euphoric and quite chordant/choral!)

But yes, they are great. They play everything live and, if they are to be believed, arrive at a gig without a 'setlist' as such. They just set off and riff off one another and see where the tracks take them. Despite their predilection for 'noise', they do end up with some good structure, and most of the tracks have a banging beat and are very danceable. With the clarity of the system on Glade cleaning up their sound, they should be awesome. I can't wait to see some people's faces as their performances are...erm...robust!

Ben

Well there were bleeps and squelches so I thought of you!

Yeah, euphoric and choral they ain't. There were some confused faces waiting for The Horrors last night. Strange but very welcome support act choice.

Started up with what I can only describe as dark, industrial ambience then it slowly built into a banging crescendo, peaking at around 140bpm+. Will definitely try to catch them on the Glade, as you say, that soundsystem will suit them. I'll find a live set and add it to the thread list.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ravermum said:

Was just doing a quick bit of research before I added DJ Zinc's Essential Mix from late 2016 to the spreadsheet, when I found this on Eats Everything's Facebook page - first 20 mins of Eats Everything, Zinc, Special Request and more doing their Jungle/Hardcore set at Boomtown last year. Will get you right in the mood on a Friday. Side note - the DJ Zinc mix I've added is two and a half years old, but I still listen to it a lot. Bass, breaks, MCs and vibes, if that's your tipple 

?I like this. I think the Eats/Zinc B2B has a LOT of potential for fun and good energy even if they just bang out jungle classics. Also, I feel like if Jayda G was born a man in the West Country then she would have grown up to be Eats Everything. I love his enthusiasm and crowd interaction. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

@hmmmloddy loving the Serial Killaz set on the list! I usually avoid any act that substitutes an S for a Z at the end of their name but I'll definitely be checking them out. Loads of fun, if they play something similar at the Big G

Hahahah, you can be Supernintendo ChalmerZ for one set only. Yep, saw them play as part of a soundclash thing a few weeks ago and it was these kind of vibes. I think they're going very firmly in my must-see bucket. Hoping for a non-clashy Temple slot. Also, if you like that then the Born on Road slot on Clash stage in Shangri-La will definitely be worth checking out. Have just put a Selecta J-Man set on the list (I bet you LOVE that name).

28 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Thanks for this Fuzzy, sounds like a great time, but don't see myself making a huge effort to go out of my way to see his Funk/Disco set unless I was with people who did or it's convenient when the time comes around. Plus I get the feeling it'll be a bit too rammo and I like my space.

Roi Perez released his June dates on Instagram earlier with a Friday night Block 9 slot. Great dj and Berghain/Pbar resident.

P.S Avalon Emerson in Manchester at the weekend was extremely good!

Edited by davesrave
  • Upvote 2

So, I have zero knowledge of dance music and usually get taken to thing by my friends who know the score. This year I  am not going with the usual crowd who would take me to that kind of stuff so I was hoping for some recommendations... Turns out I like tech house, basslline, dnb and jungle. To me they are all just names so would love to get some recommended. Cheers in advance. 

5 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Giant Swan absolutely ripped it last night. Spoke to them this morning and it seems their set for The Glade will go in a DnB / industrial direction, which could be even more head-rearranging. Definitely a big tip if you're in the mood for the tough stuff

Christ, that sounds like exactly what I want. Giant Swan are fast becoming my most anticipated. 

18 minutes ago, alframsey said:

So, I have zero knowledge of dance music and usually get taken to thing by my friends who know the score. This year I  am not going with the usual crowd who would take me to that kind of stuff so I was hoping for some recommendations... Turns out I like tech house, basslline, dnb and jungle. To me they are all just names so would love to get some recommended. Cheers in advance. 

Check out this link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BzyCqFTgA8W64VGxlTA-ctmum77HUPvjltC8MJ8K0uc/edit#gid=0 

We've been compiling some live sets from some of the artists announced so far along with venue and genre. Have a listen!

• Upvote 2

Did anybody here get to Four Tet at Ally Pally either of the previous two nights?

The light installation really was amazing, I know he had it at previous gigs he has played but it was the first time I have seen it used and it added so much to the experience! Somebody told me it was 42,000 lights... though I am skeptical of that number. I know he wouldn't be able to bring it to a festival show but let's hope he crops up playing some more shows other than the Silver Hayes one that's been announced already.

Also Daughter off the latest album is such a lovely song isn't it, especially to close on... my friends and I were discussing what the sample that it uses could possibly be (I am assuming it's a sample), long shot but if anyone has any ideas would love to know!

3 hours ago, 87 BEANS said:

Did anybody here get to Four Tet at Ally Pally either of the previous two nights?

The light installation really was amazing, I know he had it at previous gigs he has played but it was the first time I have seen it used and it added so much to the experience! Somebody told me it was 42,000 lights... though I am skeptical of that number. I know he wouldn't be able to bring it to a festival show but let's hope he crops up playing some more shows other than the Silver Hayes one that's been announced already.

Also Daughter off the latest album is such a lovely song isn't it, especially to close on... my friends and I were discussing what the sample that it uses could possibly be (I am assuming it's a sample), long shot but if anyone has any ideas would love to know!

I was there last night, stunning show as ever, it’s the 3rd time I’ve seen him play with the Squid Soup light setup and it never fails to impress. I think he’s one of the best ‘live’ electronic acts doing it at the moment. 

10 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Check out this link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BzyCqFTgA8W64VGxlTA-ctmum77HUPvjltC8MJ8K0uc/edit#gid=0 

We've been compiling some live sets from some of the artists announced so far along with venue and genre. Have a listen!

Extremely useful, thank you, apologies that I don’t really have the knowledge to add to it. May inspire me to spend some selective time Inn Silver Hayes if I know what kind of set(s) I’m going to get.

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Daniel Avery is playing on Friday, apparently. I can see that being in one of those crappy 8-9pm Silver Hayes slots when you're almost certainly wanting to be watching bands on bigger stages...

Ben

I'm hoping for a 2am slot on the new Arcadia rig