Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

12 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Morillo should smoke it. Quite like Sanchez in that he’s out of favour in credible circles but has energy pouring out of him 

Hoping for Arca live as part of IICON (DJing is too sloppy, need the full experience). If you want to go big...

I can't see Arca being announced for IICON. He'd be very interesting, but I'm anticipating the line-up being more 'conventional' than that (not in a bad/boring way...). Big techno/electronic names. I think Arca's a bit leftfield for IICON, interesting as he is. I'd like to see Skee Mask somewhere...

Ben

23 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Morillo should smoke it. Quite like Sanchez in that he’s out of favour in credible circles but has energy pouring out of him 

I have a soft spot for Morillo. Great fun. My first day in Ibiza on my first visit. He came on about 8pm. This is an hour of it  proper feel good music. 

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

11 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I feel that. My guess is Skee Mask types will go to Genosys (continues the trend of acid, breakbeat-y techno, cutting edge house etc) and IICON will be reserved for something you can't get elsewhere.

Unfortunately, we're going to have to wait a little longer to find out... don't shoot the messenger but see below, from the Announcement thread:

aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh

?

Ben

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Happy Block 9 announcement eve, everyone. So give me one name you wanna see on there. 

I've got everything crossed for Gesaffelstein. Get him and I don't care who else is on there. 

Not a huge name but Djrum. Loved his albums and think his DJ sets are perfect for one of the smaller Block 9 stages

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Happy Block 9 announcement eve, everyone. So give me one name you wanna see on there. 

I've got everything crossed for Gesaffelstein. Get him and I don't care who else is on there. 

Notwithstanding the now known announcement delay...

Blawan

Ben

• Like 1

Blawan would be great, and he definitely owes us after I turned up by myself to much confusion at Genosys. It was still very good, though. I couldn't find any announcements to say who the replacement was, but the bald guy of the duo was killing it.

Anyway, I want some heart-wrenching dubstep in London Underground (an Alix Perez 140 set would be wonderful, also Trends & Boylan, Truth, J:Kenzo...) and some soul-crushing techno (like Perc or Krtm) during the deep of the night at Genosys.

I've never been in NYC Downlow, but its always on my to-do list. Is it best to get some fake moustaches beforehand to cut the queue?

1 minute ago, OffshoreToon said:

I've never been in NYC Downlow, but its always on my to-do list. Is it best to get some fake moustaches beforehand to cut the queue?

If you do bring your own, do chuck a couple quid into the charity bins!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, OffshoreToon said:

Blawan would be great, and he definitely owes us after I turned up by myself to much confusion at Genosys. It was still very good, though. I couldn't find any announcements to say who the replacement was, but the bald guy of the duo was killing it.

Anyway, I want some heart-wrenching dubstep in London Underground (an Alix Perez 140 set would be wonderful, also Trends & Boylan, Truth, J:Kenzo...) and some soul-crushing techno (like Perc or Krtm) during the deep of the night at Genosys.

Go and get one on the Wednesday 

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Not sure how it would go down for others, but someone like Dave the Drummer would do for me. 4am ish somewhere

? He would absolutely kill it!

Chuck Mario Ranieri in there for a good measure too!

Edited by Jay89

7 hours ago, OffshoreToon said:

If Perc is announced I might wet myself.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Not sure how it would go down for others, but someone like Dave the Drummer would do for me. 4am ish somewhere

Saw him close the temple in 2013 at that time in 2013 and he was awesome. I like that kind of techno with some big riffs in - the minimal stuff bores me. It was about half full.

Edited by Homer

What are the best venues in block 9? Occurred to me from this thread that I never really stay there much - just walk through it. More liable to go to the temple, arcadia and a bit of Bez’s Old acid house. Like the spectacle (with the first two!) - plus, being a certain age, they tend to have some older acts on those I guess.

28 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

To try and sum it up: Genosys is the centrepiece – the towering dystopian installation, outdoors, with green lasers. A lot of people just kind of assume that is Block9 (a bit of a Blondie ≠ Debbie Harry situation). That's usually got techno, acid and house vets from Chicago, Detroit and Berlin, very epic in sound and vibe. Might be your kind of thing going off the above. Think Derrick May, Steffi, Phuture, Roman Flügel types and occasionally a curveball like Hot Chip playing Prince. We assume Avalon Emerson will be there. I'd guess Dr Rubinstein or Courtesy from the new school, maybe even a Jeff Mills or Larry Heard if we get lucky.

NYC Downlow is for many the crown jewel – as close to sordid 70s/80s New York as you can probably get on earth. Mega mega queer, a total sweatbox, really special atmosphere of liberation and freedom. Air reeks of poppers, always a pleasure. More leaning on house, hi-NRG and disco but some raucous techno now and again. Drag performances break up the DJs. If you're familiar with Horse Meat Disco, Midland, Dimitri From Paris, The Black Madonna, you're there.

There's a side venue, The Meat Rack, which caters for smaller artists in that kind of field – Dan Shake and Dungeon Meat played there last time I think. Also doubles up as a dark room (!)

Maceo's is the staff bar, but basically a playpen for artists, agents, staffers and liggers. Extremely loose, people in all states just falling about the place at all hours. Good fun if you can slide in. Anything-goes musically.

London Underground has traditionally been dubstep, garage and all splinter varieties. Heads down murk. It's the one with the crashed vehicle coming out of the brickwork. You head in and it slopes underground a little. I'll be honest: I don't believe this one is coming back. That's the word that I've been tipped to.

IICON is the new area, the unknown element. Could be anything but the scale and the secrecy seems to suggest major things afoot.

Hope that helps!

Cheers mate! Have obvs seen Genosys - need to prob take the time to actually watch a set there (some acid house or techno would be right up my strasse). 

Never actually been in NYCD, despite its rep! Not into disco or funky house at all really - but do like a good gay bar/club/drag show every now and then in 'real life', so prob need to get there too.I'm  headliner-less on Friday currently, so might try and squeeze it in then (pun intended). Thursday night could be good for a look at Genosys too.

Think I've been in London Underground. I was basically in nightclub at about 4am once it was bangin'. Seems like that may have been it!

14 hours ago, OffshoreToon said:

I make a point of going with the crew of our lot and getting moustaches early doors. I think I buy two usually as it’s for a good cause and helps to have a spare. 

14 hours ago, OffshoreToon said:

Grow one.

The Downlow crew like that even more...

:)

Ben

Just now, Madyaker said:

Never been in NYC downlow. I have a beard, will this get me in or will I have to shave it down to a moustache. Was thinking handlebars for the fest but I fear the women in our group might shun me!

Beard is fine. Arriving at the door looking like a Bear will stand you in very good stead...!

Ben

Simply fashion a jaunty looking backpack out of extended beardery. 

Could be cutting it fine to have it ready for the end of June. 

I'm more into half-baked ideas rather than full realisation, don't @ me. 

Edited by rubick

3 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

To try and sum it up: Genosys is the centrepiece – the towering dystopian installation, outdoors, with green lasers. A lot of people just kind of assume that is Block9 (a bit of a Blondie ≠ Debbie Harry situation). That's usually got techno, acid and house vets from Chicago, Detroit and Berlin, very epic in sound and vibe. Might be your kind of thing going off the above. Think Derrick May, Steffi, Phuture, Roman Flügel types and occasionally a curveball like Hot Chip playing Prince. We assume Avalon Emerson will be there. I'd guess Dr Rubinstein or Courtesy from the new school, maybe even a Jeff Mills or Larry Heard if we get lucky.

NYC Downlow is for many the crown jewel – as close to sordid 70s/80s New York as you can probably get on earth. Mega mega queer, a total sweatbox, really special atmosphere of liberation and freedom. Air reeks of poppers, always a pleasure. More leaning on house, hi-NRG and disco but some raucous techno now and again. Drag performances break up the DJs. If you're familiar with Horse Meat Disco, Midland, Dimitri From Paris, The Black Madonna, you're there.

There's a side venue, The Meat Rack, which caters for smaller artists in that kind of field – Dan Shake and Dungeon Meat played there last time I think. Also doubles up as a dark room (!)

Maceo's is the staff bar, but basically a playpen for artists, agents, staffers and liggers. Extremely loose, people in all states just falling about the place at all hours. Good fun if you can slide in. Anything-goes musically.

London Underground has traditionally been dubstep, garage and all splinter varieties. Heads down murk. It's the one with the crashed vehicle coming out of the brickwork. You head in and it slopes underground a little. I'll be honest: I don't believe this one is coming back. That's the word that I've been tipped to.

IICON is the new area, the unknown element. Could be anything but the scale and the secrecy seems to suggest major things afoot.

Hope that helps!

Liked this write-up. How do you know Avalon is playing? Self confirmed? Thanks

Ah fair do's!

Must have missed that post, apologies. Whilst I think she could nail a Panorama Bar-esque set in the Download, I also think here machine-like productions are tailormade for Genosys so I think that could be amazing. Never really rated the soundlevels at Genosys though - maybe just need to get a bit closer.