Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Continuing to go through the sets on the spreadsheet. Big shout to @LoveLikeThis for the Sherelle set: loved that. Also I put @bennyhana22's Digweed set on the list after it got me beautifully through this morrning at work. Reminded me to go back and check out Transitions.

Just watched a few vids of the Max Cooper OHBS live a/v show. Didn't manage to get to a full set at the Gas Tower last time and this would be SUPER high on my list. I seem to remember the sound be very good inside the circle structure but not great on the outside. Maybe get there early? The live show reminded me a lot of Amon Tobin's ISAM show which I saw at Brixton academy years ago: 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Rival Consoles is exceptionally good live, saw him and Throwing Snow live in Hackney in November I think, really special show.

I saw him the other week in Brixton, didn't know any of his music but really liked it. One criticism though, just as his tunes got going and built up to something he tended to cut them off which was a bit frustrating. According to my mate, that's just his style.

Edited by Johnnyseven

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

I saw him the other week in Brixton, didn't know any of his music but really liked it. One criticism though, just as his tunes got going and built up to something he tended to cut them off which was a bit frustrating. According to my mate, that's just his style.

He definitely structures his sets as big builds, eventually reaching more ravey versions of the big bangers on the record(s), before deconstructing that and interspersing more ambient soundscapes. As long as you know that you are ok! If you think it’s a typical banger to banger mix, I can see that frustrating some people!!

Ben

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Been wanting to see Rival Consoles since Howl, but he doesn’t seem to tour a lot/widely...one day...

Ben

Love ‘Persona’, such a good record, but hard to go wrong with anything on Erased Tapes, they’re a great record label.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I'm as certain as I could be that it'll be his OHBS live A/V, and he's playing the Gas Tower on the Sunday. The 360deg visuals are perfect for what he does.

If it's as good as the Emergence live A/V then it's likely to be one of my sets of the weekend. Can. Not. Wait.

Just hope the Gas Tower sound is special - I saw him on the Sunrise stage at Latitude which has the best sound on site and it was spectacular.

Free entry into the barbican for his Phillip glass project if anyone can make that, think its Sunday

23 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Just stumbled across these guys, playing Silver Hayes. Take me back to '91, this is mega 

That's very old skool. This is their big track though and I think it's more representative of their current stuff. Absolutely love it.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bombfrog said:

That's very old skool. This is their big track though and I think it's more representative of their current stuff. Absolutely love it.

Thanks @bombfrog @Jay89! 10 hours ago I hadn't heard of them, now they're a must see. Glastonbury, eh? 

This is why we need the lineups, so we can discover acts before we go. I'm looking at you Block 9 and Arcadia... 

I don’t follow this thread that closely as I don’t really keep up with house music these days. BUT I watched the Digweed set you posted Ben (it’s now on the spreadsheet - for anyone else who wants to check it out) and it’s absolutely sublime. The track about 32 mins in with the vocals is ?? and it ends with a bang with Chems. I love the subtlety of it though and the way it flows - he really is a genius. Unfortunately, I think Glade will be too rammo on the Thurs to fully appreciate his set so I hope he plays elsewhere. We tried to watch him last time in Spaceport but it was just too sweaty. Shame no mention of Sasha this year so far.

I also listened to Peaches set and it was a lot of fun- deffo someone to try and catch on the farm but it didn’t suck me in like Diggers did.

Not sure where to go next but maybe Max Cooper as you seem to all be raving about him.

1 hour ago, dccool said:

Due to the lack of announcements I'll be going through the spreadsheet over the weekend. 

Thanks for all who have contributed this is one of the reasons why I love this thread.

Yup, massive props to all who contribute to this, gonna make my Glastonbury even better with a few new ideas on who to go see

6 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Thanks @bombfrog @Jay89! 10 hours ago I hadn't heard of them, now they're a must see. Glastonbury, eh? 

This is why we need the lineups, so we can discover acts before we go. I'm looking at you Block 9 and Arcadia... 

I've loved that Prospa - Prayer - track since I first heard it. They seem like lovely young lads too. I've added a mix of theirs I heard on Pete Tong a few months back to the spreadsheet. It's only a half hour studio mix, so probably not that indicative, but there's not that much of their work out online yet. I love the way they've come through as the next generation, but with obviously a lot of love for the scene and the history. I feel like they might be the genuine article, unlike Krystal Klear. I hate knocking someone who puts their work out there, but I think Neutron Dance is a shit, New Order rip-off and I rant about it to whoever's nearby if that track comes on within my earshot.