Shame, I quite wanted to see Metallica

Guest Major Charles Ingram

The have been loads of dickheads whove played Glastonbury and acts who people want to play who have done prickish things as well. Don't like hunting for the sake of hunting at all so can't help but feel disappointed. But people asking them to be thrown off the bill? A bit of an overreaction, but it's certainly taken a hit on my willingness to see them because I wasn't overly keen on seeing them in the first place (one of those bands I might pop in for a few songs and see how it is)

But I'm going to do it quietly, whatever I choose to do, I'm not going to try and make a 'point' out of not seeing them or rocking up with a verbal protest in mind hindering other peoples enjoyment of the festival.

Edited by Yesiamaduck

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The have been loads of dickheads whove played Glastonbury and acts who people want to play who have done prickish things as well. Don't like hunting for the sake of hunting at all so can't help but feel disappointed. But people asking them to be thrown off the bill? A bit of an overreaction, but it's certainly taken a hit on my willingness to see them because I wasn't overly keen on seeing them in the first place (one of those bands I might pop in for a few songs and see how it is)

But I'm going to do it quietly, whatever I choose to do, I'm not going to try and make a 'point' out of not seeing them or rocking up with a verbal protest in mind hindering other peoples enjoyment of the festival.

Personally, I find the fact that Metallica have played Tel Aviv far more objectionable then the fact that one of them hunts, but if I chose not to watch every band who ignored BDS I'd be stuck just watching Roger Waters for the rest of my life. Even Neil Young and the Stones are letting me down this year :-(

Kasabian, on the other hand IIRC, haven't played there, but even if they were the only band on the bill that didn't tacitly condone apartheid I'd still probably just stay in the Rabbit Hole.

We have guns. Why would I want to do it without one? I would die. We are (as a species) at the top of the food chain cos we know how to make weapons. Sport comes in many guises, some I get, some I don't. What do you think of fishing? Barbaric? Many would say so, and many like me don't care. I get one life and fishing adds to my enjoyment of it.

" I've never been hunting, but I sort of get the appeal; it's not for me, but then I don't suppose football, my other pastime, would appeal to hunters. We've made it to the top of the food chain, lets make the most of it "

I don't personally believe that humans are any more entitled to life than any other animal, that is why I questioned your view that we have made weapons so we should 'make the most of it'

" I've never been hunting, but I sort of get the appeal; it's not for me, but then I don't suppose football, my other pastime, would appeal to hunters. We've made it to the top of the food chain, lets make the most of it "

I don't personally believe that humans are any more entitled to life than any other animal, that is why I questioned your view that we have made weapons so we should 'make the most of it'

An accused child molester and a bear hunter are two very different things.

If you believe that the abuse of children and bear huting are on par. Your views are very very skewed.

The problem I have with the call for Metallica to be banned from the festival because one of them happens to hunt is the implied logic that those of us who don't care enough to assume that position or - heaven forbid - are actually looking forward to their set are tacitly supporting that activity.

To my mind, it's completely irrelevant. I'm not going to be thinking about the lifestyle of a single member when I'm drunkenly bouncing along to the sounds. That's not to say I don't care about the issues, but they're not relevant to that moment and we shouldn't try to merge everything together in a way that it becomes unavoidable to ignore one part of life when you're doing something completely irrelevant to it.

This smacks more of the one or two actively against it needing to be seen to be actively against it.

The problem I have with the call for Metallica to be banned from the festival because one of them happens to hunt is the implied logic that those of us who don't care enough to assume that position or - heaven forbid - are actually looking forward to their set are tacitly supporting that activity.

To my mind, it's completely irrelevant. I'm not going to be thinking about the lifestyle of a single member when I'm drunkenly bouncing along to the sounds. That's not to say I don't care about the issues, but they're not relevant to that moment and we shouldn't try to merge everything together in a way that it becomes unavoidable to ignore one part of life when you're doing something completely irrelevant to it.

This smacks more of the one or two actively against it needing to be seen to be actively against it.

The ideal solution?

Metallica refuse their fee on the basis that the money goes towards some sort of 'Save The Bears' campaign.

The festival then buy a couple of bears and let them loose on the Pyramid stage while Kasabian are doing their opening number.

The Metallica fans are happy, the bears are happy and the people with nothing to watch on the Sunday night are happy.

I can get the same tranquility and piece of mind by sitting at the side of a lake or river, or on a boat at sea, and admiring the nature without senselessly tormenting innocent creatures.

James Hetfield, a nine Grammy award winner, and lead vocalist for the heavy metal band Metallica, will be the narrator for the eight-episode series “The Hunt” – a documentary on bear hunts on Kodiak Island.

Although Hetfield seems like an unlikely choice in the role as narrator for a hunting documentary, it actually suits him. The musician describes himself as an enthusiastic outdoorsman with a passion for hunting.

The Kodiak bear, also known as the Kodiak brown bear, or the Alaskan grizzly bear, occupies the islands of the Kodiak Archipelago in South-Western Alaska. They are the largest subspecies of brown bear and one of the two largest members of the bear family, the other being the polar bear.

Bear hunting enthusiasts are drawn to Alaska’s Kodiak Island, because it is home to some of the world’s largest brown bears. The challenge of conquering and killing such powerful creatures brings these hunters pride in their accomplishments.

According to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, hunters harvest about one hundred and eighty bears every year, with over seventy percent being males. They claim that by killing many of the males, they are controlling the bear population and are playing a vital role in preserving the ecological balance on the island.

It seems that the Alaska Department of Fish and Game does not think that nature can keep the ecological system in balance on its own, therefore, it is necessary to kill the fathers of baby cubs and use them for food and trophies.

“While getting a bear is no easy task, most hunters still value time-honored traditions by hunting with bow-and-arrow, black powder single-shot rifles, and/or use the minimum amount of technology possible,” History stated in its press release. “Honoring the animal is paramount and taught to all hunters who come to the island. Hunters have an ethical and legal responsibility to strive for clean kills that is taken very seriously. There are pages of stringent regulations they must follow that ensure respect for the animal and the land.”

If killing someone is honouring and respecting them, and destroying creatures that have as much right to freedom, justice and life as humans is considered humane and ethical, it is no wonder there is so much violence in this world.

Kodiak bears spend a lot less time and energy trying to capture and kill prey, than do their human adversaries. In fact, they avoid it as much as possible. The Alaska Department of Fish and Game explains in their fact sheet that “Kodiak bears are often touted as the world’s largest land carnivore (meat eaters), they are really omnivores (using a variety of foods). They actually spend more time eating grass, plants and berries than meat. Fish are an important part of their diets, but few Kodiak bears expend the time or effort necessary to chase and kill mammals.”

If anyone is interested in watching these magnificent bears being shot and killed by hunters, while cameras capture and exploit their deaths for entertainment, then you can watch the premiere of “The Hunt” on History on Sunday, June 8 at 10 p.m. WT/PT.

Edited by The Nal