Shame, I quite wanted to see Metallica

Guest Major Charles Ingram

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I accept that its part of the culture in Canada, though I don't accept that this reason alone justifies it. I also suspect its as much a part of the Canadian hunting tourist industry as it is the local tradition, hence rich Texans still suffering under the belief that America has changed little since the 1880's Wild West and that killing big game remains a perfectly acceptable expression of macho dominance over nature or a rite of passage for young Dwight, still have an outlet for their ignorance...

that's just pointless speculation though. The facts are 11k people have signed a petition saying they are against it. There is no evidence to suggest it's a conspiracy theory.

Lots of people dont agree with the hunting of bears. It's that simple. I am staggered so many people are surprised to learn that thousands of people are anti bear hunting.

I just cant see how all the negative publicity this is receiving can be anything other than a good thing? The petitioners should be applauded for raising awareness. I didnt know anything about it until they acted. I cant see how they are coming under fire from people who agree with what they are saying!

brian ferry is a c**t and has been called a c**t on here for years!

From a 2009 interview.....

GW You came across as this taciturn mountain man.

HETFIELD A lot of it had to do with me proving my manhood to myself and a lot of the things that I felt my dad didn’t teach me—like working on cars, hunting, survivalism. Things like that. I really felt that I had to go and learn those things and prove to myself that I’m okay, that I can do it. My dad was like that.

GW Do you still go hunting?

HETFIELD Nowadays it doesn’t feel necessary, killing things just to kill them. I’m not against hunting, but it doesn’t seem as necessary as going 150 miles an hour in my car now. [laughs]

GW What changed your mind?

HETFIELD We went hunting in Siberia. This was just before I went into rehab, when I fell off the wagon majorly. I’ve got a wife and kids at home, but I was like, “See you later, I’m going to Siberia.” I went out on the Kamchatka peninsula, hunting grizzly bear on snowmobiles in four feet of snow. You fall off the snowmobile, you’re done. I saw a bear print and it looked pretty human [to me]. I saw something in that that didn’t make much sense to me. We were in this four-foot high chicken shack in the middle of nowhere, four-hour helicopter ride out of this shitty little town, drinking vodka. There was nothing else to drink. That was the end for me.

HETFIELD Nowadays it doesn’t feel necessary, killing things just to kill them. I’m not against hunting, but it doesn’t seem as necessary as going 150 miles an hour in my car now. [laughs]

He goes 150 mph in his car?

NEW METALLICA CONTROVERSY!!!!!

Hold the front page while I organise another petition. Won't somebody think of the children?

Russy can you comment on this approach.

He's an american, and it's very common in america - cultural variations and all. This guy was probably raised hunting bears, and at home he's probably in a community which promotes it.

It's cultural differences right? As Nal said, it's not me agreeing - however in order for him to turn against it he'd probably have to go against alot of his families traditions.

I doubt he has time to hunt bears anymore anyway.

Hes spoken openly about hunting for the best part of 30 years. This is not news.

Its such a normal thing in America. And Canada as others have said. Doesn't make it right of course but 3 weeks before the festival people are suddenly outraged? Smacks of this Kony cobblers all over again.

If people were really that outraged they would've known already that he was an avid hunter, would be protesting or whatever already, and wouldn't have to rely on a music festival message board to hear about it.

You'd actually find it hard to find people who haven't hunted in America at some stage. Its such a part of the culture.

Brian Ferry getting a free pass by the way and he hunts and kills animals for fun 100 miles away from the festival site!

I feel sorry for James, just because a group of people don't like Metallica they're digging into everything slightly not too right they can find out he does. Not they them selves haven't done something wrong themselves. It's a bit of a 'He without sin cast the first stone scenario'. He's a rock star there are plenty of rock stars that have done worse things!

He goes 150 mph in his car?

NEW METALLICA CONTROVERSY!!!!!

Hold the front page while I organise another petition. Won't somebody think of the children?

THIS THIS THIS One thousand percent!!

Michael Eavis supports Fox Hunting and allows it on his land, if those people who seem to be so upset with James Hetfield had any real consitency with their mock outrage and morals then surely Eavis should be getting the same stick? Absolute morons

I can't say the private lives of musicians has ever affected my appreciation of their art (I really like the work of Chuck Berry, for example) but I've now decided I'm going to start a campaign to have all theists removed from the Glastonbury line-up.

I feel more uncomfortable about the fact that I watched Lost Prophets with my then teenage daughter in I think 2002 knowing what I know now , than I do about having also watched Metallica with her at Download 2003 and Leeds.

Neither of us like these past bear hunting tales .. but will be at the pyramid watching Metallica again, somewhere we never imagined we would see them.