The National

Zoo Music Girl

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Are they too big realistically to headline John Peel. I think a set in the dark in a tent would be great for the vibe but I suspect they'd think it beneath them. 

Yeah they're too big for that.

At this point they can only really do Other headliner or maybe Pyramid sub again I'd say.

2 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

Not really. A lot of people were disappointed at the time afterwards, weird how everyone's opinions have changed over the years. They're one of my favourite bands but it was my least favourite time seeing them.

There's a difference between being disappointed that they didn't do a greatest hits set, and "fucking up".

It was a good set, most fans know they can be much better though, so were a little disappointed that they didn't completely smash it.

People who didn't know them didn't know any different, and seemed to enjoy it mostly.

It was a good performance.

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

There's a difference between being disappointed that they didn't do a greatest hits set, and "fucking up".

It was a good set, most fans know they can be much better though, so were a little disappointed that they didn't completely smash it.

People who didn't know them didn't know any different, and seemed to enjoy it mostly.

It was a good performance.

Maybe fucking up was too harsh then. I don't think it was bad, I just think it was a missed opportunity!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Already did that in 2008 and they’re much bigger now than they were then. Think Other headliner is the only realistic next step for them right now. 

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Yeah they're too big for that.

At this point they can only really do Other headliner or maybe Pyramid sub again I'd say.

Thought so was just trying to think of a spot that would be good for them and would mean more likely to have fans there. The sub headliner set wasn't bad as such but around me it was all just people talking about the Foos etc all the way through. Maybe if they sub headlined for someone with a bit less hype it would be better or as you say Other Stage headliner. 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Thought so was just trying to think of a spot that would be good for them and would mean more likely to have fans there. The sub headliner set wasn't bad as such but around me it was all just people talking about the Foos etc all the way through. Maybe if they sub headlined for someone with a bit less hype it would be better or as you say Other Stage headliner. 

I'd take Park headliner in a heartbeat, for the setting/atmosphere, but can't see it tbh.

37 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I'd take Park headliner in a heartbeat, for the setting/atmosphere, but can't see it tbh.

Definitely can't see it, but if it were to happen just think what horrible clash might have caused them to end up there - e.g. Elton on Pyramid, Prodigy on Other, Fred on WH - or some scary varient of that...

44 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Definitely can't see it, but if it were to happen just think what horrible clash might have caused them to end up there - e.g. Elton on Pyramid, Prodigy on Other, Fred on WH - or some scary varient of that...

We know on one day that will be an inevitability anyway. I am just  hoping it's not the Sunday night. 

1 hour ago, Dark Star said:

Was gonna take a trip to Portugal to catch a weekend of October sunshine, but given the venue is a bullfighting arena think will swerve that. Leeds, Amsterdam or Berlin then as those fall on weekends.

I want to go because it's a bullfighting arena.

But actually I'll go because it looks like the best weekend trip from Poland. Should be very warm still then, and I haven't been to Porto before.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Are they really big enough to headline the Other?

They don't play venues that scream "Other headliner" to me, they've headlined APE twice and not sold it out. They played the O2 without the upper tier and mostly do Apollo sized venues when they come over.

If Christine and the Queens, Alt J and Jake Bugg can all headline other then I couldn't see why The National couldn't.

• Upvote 3

There is often a weaker Other headliner so while they struggled to sell out APE last year I do think they’d be fine headlining it. It wouldn’t be a massive crowd but they’d be fine. 

I don’t really see Glastonbury booking them for it anytime soon though. Other headliners tend to be quite dancey and upbeat, even the rock Other headliners of the last few festivals (Foals, Tame Impala, alt-J, LCD) fit that vibe a lot more than The National. A return as a Pyramid sub in a few years time feels more likely to me.