Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah it’s been the case for a couple of years now. The Killers obviously tried their hand at it way back with Sam’s Town and then brought it back moreso with Imploding the Mirage and Pressure Machine, and it seems to have caught on with quite a few rock acts lately. Like you, I ain’t complaining. Love a bit of soaring heartland rock. 

Same here. It’s become quite the thing. Throw in the Hold Steady, Gaslight Anthem, The National, Drive By Truckers….

Another extremely last minute show, this time New York.

If they do London and Manchester, I reckon it would be Gorilla that they'd play up here in Manc... Similar capacity to Bowery Ballroom.

Screenshot_2022-03-18-19-13-32-714_com.instagram.android.thumb.jpg.3c4935d815dded1c07b096ef542dbbb0.jpg

1 minute ago, Simpo said:

If they do London and Manchester, I reckon it would be Gorilla that they'd play up here in Manc... Similar capacity to Bowery Ballroom.

Screenshot_2022-03-18-19-13-32-714_com.instagram.android.thumb.jpg.3c4935d815dded1c07b096ef542dbbb0.jpg

AF in Gorilla would be mental. I’m no expert on venues and their sizes, but surely they’d play somewhere a bit bigger than that?

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

AF in Gorilla would be mental. I’m no expert on venues and their sizes, but surely they’d play somewhere a bit bigger than that?

I'm just thinking it's the go-to for bigger artists playing smaller shows over here. Kylie Minogue did it, Snoop Dogg, and to a lesser extent Foals and that kind of band.

Although this is becoming the norm for them now, I think they said something like they treat each btw album cycle as if they were just starting out again, playing really small venues, and quickly working themselves up to the big 'uns.

Edited by Simpo

13 minutes ago, Homer said:

AF were selling Wembley on their last tour - did a couple of nights. Is that not big enough to headline?

People may not have liked EN, but plenty will still turn out for the 'hits'.

They didn’t exactly pull the heftiest crowd when they headlined in ‘14 and that was more or less their peak. They’re kind of stuck in that ‘not quite big/hot enough to headline but still too big to drop down’ size at the moment. Like I said earlier, I’d imagine they’ll just continue to headline slightly smaller festivals rather than drop down lineups at the major ones, and possibly come back to headline further don the line when they’re more of a heritage act. 

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

They didn’t exactly pull the heftiest crowd when they headlined in ‘14 and that was more or less their peak. They’re kind of stuck in that ‘not quite big/hot enough to headline but still too big to drop down’ size at the moment. Like I said earlier, I’d imagine they’ll just continue to headline slightly smaller festivals rather than drop down lineups at the major ones, and possibly come back to headline further don the line when they’re more of a heritage act. 

It seemed pretty busy to me - we were right in front of the sound stage though (I guess the fact we were that close prob says something tbf!).

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Arcade Fire were doing that as early as 2007. Nothing new for them. This song does however seem influenced by 2007 Arcade Fire.

I have never gotten the Springsteen vibe from any Arcade Fire songs, or at least I can't recall any? Not being argumentative btw, genuinely interested in which songs give you that vibe? 

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

I have never gotten the Springsteen vibe from any Arcade Fire songs, or at least I can't recall any? Not being argumentative btw, genuinely interested in which songs give you that vibe? 

Keep the Car Running, Intervention, Antichrist Television Blues, Modern Man, City With No Children, Half Light II

Lyrically their tales of small-town adolescence and breaking out of towns and all that is prime Bruce. The expansive anthemic rock is too.

Keep the Car Running is probably the clearest one, and The Boss even performed it with them one time.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Keep the Car Running, Intervention, Antichrist Television Blues, Modern Man, City With No Children, Half Light II

Lyrically their tales of small-town adolescence and breaking out of towns and all that is prime Bruce. The expansive anthemic rock is too.

Keep the Car Running is probably the clearest one, and The Boss even performed it with them one time.

I thought you'd peg that as number 1 after I scrolled through the Neon Bible tracklist after Suprefan said... But not for me. I see where you're coming on themes, but I think the music styles are pretty different. 

2 hours ago, Simpo said:

Oh LA is def next. I mean we have a venue called the Ukranian lol.

I’d say both are right. I think any rock track that has a big driving uptempo guitar rhythm and a melody in a major key and throws in some defiant lyrics probably owes something to the boss. I agree you can hear it in certain tracks from previous albums, keep the car running etc.

But it seems that the production of lightning i and ii is more overtly geared towards that kind of sound, which appears to be de rigueur at the moment, rather than say the more delicate folky gothy vibes of neon bible, presumably to sell records. And i hope it does. And i hope other bands follow suit. Because as I said b4 - daddy likey 😛

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Simpo said:

Gorilla’s sound is not the best. They tend to choose venues with a bit of charm and some olde timey acoustics for these secret gigs.

Saw them at the Winter gardens in blackpool on that reflektors tour. One of the gigs of my life.

I personally would be a bit surprised if they extended a pay what you can secret gig tour beyond a handful of dates. Would have thought it more likely they do some north american dates in the summer/autumn and a big wurl tour next year incl. headlining that great big pointy c**t down there 

Edited by mattiloy

2 hours ago, Homer said:

AF were selling Wembley on their last tour - did a couple of nights. Is that not big enough to headline?

People may not have liked EN, but plenty will still turn out for the 'hits'.

Wembley Arena, which is smaller than the O2.

I don’t think it’s impossible that they come back one day and headline, but I’m not sure they’d be near the top of the list of acts the festival would be desperate to have back.

Gorilla is comfortably the worst of the main venues in Manchester. I don’t think they’d play there and if they did I’d obviously be flogging my kidneys to go, but it would be an annoying dab down when the Albert Hall is round the corner and was purpose built for them. 

They need to play The Golden Lion in Todmorden. 

• Upvote 1