The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

i might have to stand corrected but im pretty sure most of these have cutoffs that mean they won't continue to charge an already charged phone and become drained without the need for a switch .. 

you sir are correct.  Keep to a reputable brand and you shouldn't have to think twice about it.

31 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Are Decathlon likely to have a sale between now & June, based on previous years?

Quite tempted by a fresh & black tent... 🙂 But on the other hand I own three tents already so could be a bit extravagant unless I can get it cheap! 

Try to avoid it if you can unless the others serve a purpose thats different  or give them to good homes ..... I had tent guilt when I got my fresh and black so my spare is on a loan to my dad ... I might either try and sell it or maybe give it to a good home as hes not going to get many more uses out of it at 74 ... I cant think of any sales that would be relevant for Decathlon ? they would probably be getting new ranges in for the summer season rather than clearing out the old ... Easter at a very long shot ?

On 2/18/2020 at 4:46 PM, tjamest said:

Expensive, but liking the new F&B 4 person inflatable...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/air-seconds-42-fb-tent-id_8572950.html

I have essentially the same tent, but without fresh and black and air.  There's no reasonable way I can justify it, but I still really want it!  When the forecast for a really hot one comes in the temptation will increase...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

What’s that? You’re prepared to spend hundreds of pounds on a cooler which promises to keep ice frozen for 10 days? 

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/products/coolers 

I mean, I'm not. But imagine ice cold beers everyday at the festival :) and I love the mint green coloured one, its well fancy!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 4:06 PM, jimmillen said:

Are Decathlon likely to have a sale between now & June, based on previous years?

Quite tempted by a fresh & black tent... 🙂 But on the other hand I own three tents already so could be a bit extravagant unless I can get it cheap! 

They do have a sale on at the moment that includes 14% off their F&B 3 man. It's a great festival tent, would be perfect if it had a porch but good value at full price let alone £43

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-3-freshblack-tent-3-man-id_8357355.html

TOURING CAMP TENTS, TARPS - Arpenaz 3 Fresh&Black Tent - 3 Man QUECHUA

4 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

They do have a sale on at the moment that includes 14% off their F&B 3 man. It's a great festival tent, would be perfect if it had a porch but good value at full price let alone £43

I’ve been using this tent for a few years now. Could sleep in till lunch at Sziget even on the days where it was getting close to 40 degrees. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2019 at 4:06 PM, Brave Sir Robin said:

Sealskinz have got some of their excellent waterproof socks (and hats and gloves) discounted this weekend: https://www.sealskinz.com/+waterproof?sort=price_asc

Just had to come on and recommend Sealskinz yet again. I went through the heel of my dog walking wellies back at the start of spring and haven’t got round to replacing them yet. 
With it pissing it down the last few days I’ve just worn old trainers and my Sealskinz and my feet have stayed bone dry and toasty warm. 

1 minute ago, blutarsky said:

Just had to come on and recommend Sealskinz yet again. I went through the heel of my dog walking wellies back at the start of spring and haven’t got round to replacing them yet. 
With it pissing it down the last few days I’ve just worn old trainers and my Sealskinz and my feet have stayed bone dry and toasty warm. 

I was dancing in puddles in just the socks .... amazing things .... expensive but worth it 

12 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Daft question - but with the sealskinz/boot combo - I assume water gets into your boots (over the top), so do they just stay wet throughout the festival?

(I'm talking 2016 wet mud deeper than the height of a boot).

See my post above - yes the boots would stay wet but your feet would be dry. TBH if it's that deep then wear the Sealskinz with wellies as it would be pointless wearing walking boots if the water/mud was calf deep.

The Sealskinz have a very sticky ring around the inside at the top which adheres to your leg and stops any water ingress to your feet, so you could be knee deep with wet shins but still have dry feet. 
Personally I think I’d stick with shitty old trainers and Sealskinz whatever the weather, as if it’s that bad wellies will overtop and boots will get heavy as anything. 
That said, I’ve been lucky enough (or unlucky enough) not to have been at G when conditions have been anything less than perfect (17 & 19). 

On 10/6/2020 at 7:52 AM, hfuhruhurr said:

Daft question - but with the sealskinz/boot combo - I assume water gets into your boots (over the top), so do they just stay wet throughout the festival?

(I'm talking 2016 wet mud deeper than the height of a boot).

12 hours ago, Copperface said:

See my post above - yes the boots would stay wet but your feet would be dry. TBH if it's that deep then wear the Sealskinz with wellies as it would be pointless wearing walking boots if the water/mud was calf deep.

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

Personally I think I’d stick with shitty old trainers and Sealskinz whatever the weather, as if it’s that bad wellies will overtop and boots will get heavy as anything. 

Tempting - but in 2016 (and a lot of wet years) you need grip - the kind that comes with walking boots or good wellies. Nothing worse than trying to get from pyramid to john peel and sliding all over the place with the inevitable skid and fall. Then you have the trade-off between footwear that stays on in thick mud and footwear you can actually remove when hammered at 2am (have tried sleeping with feet outside tent before now...)

I might stick with walking boots, (gators) and sealskinz. I do drownload as well and that's a frickin nightmare, every year.

1 hour ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Tempting - but in 2016 (and a lot of wet years) you need grip - the kind that comes with walking boots or good wellies. Nothing worse than trying to get from pyramid to john peel and sliding all over the place with the inevitable skid and fall. Then you have the trade-off between footwear that stays on in thick mud and footwear you can actually remove when hammered at 2am (have tried sleeping with feet outside tent before now...)

I might stick with walking boots, (gators) and sealskinz. I do drownload as well and that's a frickin nightmare, every year.

I go with walking shoes and sealskinz grip and dryness ... 

• 1 month later...