The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

I’m off to a stag do next weekend and it involves camping for two nights. My camper can isn’t yet at a stage where I can use it, and I’m not keen on sticking a mattress in the back of my black 206 with the seats folded down as I think it’ll be quite sweaty. Can anyone recommend a tent (ideally blackout) for under £50 to accommodate 1 heavily intoxicated male? This is the sort of stag do where I reckon there’s a strong possibility anything and everything I take could end up worse for wear / destroyed. 

10 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I’m off to a stag do next weekend and it involves camping for two nights. My camper can isn’t yet at a stage where I can use it, and I’m not keen on sticking a mattress in the back of my black 206 with the seats folded down as I think it’ll be quite sweaty. Can anyone recommend a tent (ideally blackout) for under £50 to accommodate 1 heavily intoxicated male? This is the sort of stag do where I reckon there’s a strong possibility anything and everything I take could end up worse for wear / destroyed. 

Not used this one personally but have had one similar which was a bit small for me (I'm 6'3") but this one seems a bit bigger

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tent-mh100-fresh-black-2-person/_/R-p-313100

No porch though so maybe this one which is a bit over your budget but is bigger and has a very small porch area

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tent-mh100-fresh-black-3-person/_/R-p-313085

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, zico martin said:

We've always used blow up mattresses with varying degrees of success (often deflating overnight and ruining my back). Any tips or recommendations? 

I use the tescos air beds and battery pump!! They last well and don't deflate  over nite!! They are usually half price this time of year! 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, funkychick2007 said:

I use the tescos air beds and battery pump!! They last well and don't deflate  over nite!! They are usually half price this time of year! 

I have a Vango sleeping bag that’s really chunky. I started using it in 2019. I’ve not felt the need to use a mat since I got that.

On 8/11/2021 at 10:01 PM, Leyrulion said:

What camping matts do people use? Mine has finally given up after 15 years.

If it has to be a mat, then I'd go for one of those self inflating ones. You can get a little bit extra into them by blowing into the air intake valve. I've used one before and had no complaints. It increased physical and thermal comfort for sure. However, an airbed that doesn't go down overnight has got to be the way to go. However, decent ones can be heavy, and that has to be factored in too.

20 hours ago, zico martin said:

We've always used blow up mattresses with varying degrees of success (often deflating overnight and ruining my back). Any tips or recommendations? 

Was there any price differential between all those that worked and all those that didn't? I've had a few blow up mattresses but I can't recall what make they were let alone their cost. Same as you, some stayed up, some didn't. I had thought those ones which have a built in valuables storage area within a headrest on the mattress were a good idea. However, a mate of mine lost £500 in cash at Glastonbury, thinking it (his head on the storage area) would make him impervious to theft. He was told umpteen times to use the lock ups before the theft.

18 hours ago, Big durbs said:

Depending on the size of your tent , we have a king size blowup bed ( about 35cm high ) and a battery pump , we have had it about 7 years now , done 3 Glasto’s and various other festivals. Very comfortable, we top it up every other day , it’s so good you can sit on it and put your shoes on ,

we bought it at Costco for about £50 , they do still sell them but normally in the spring with their other camping stuff .

How fabulous!

What an invention!

Is it heavy? As in mentally heavy? If it's lightweight, how on earth have you managed not to burst it?

20 hours ago, funkychick2007 said:

That’s what we’ve got, though the pump soaks up the power in the 4 D cell batteries.  The Tesco single airbeds are decent and by putting one on top of the other during the day it creates a bit of space to get dressed etc. As you say at this time of year they can be bought cheaper as stocks are cleared out. 

36 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

It’s not to bad , we use a truck to get our gear in . But it’s sooooo worth the effort for a good sleep,ready for the next day if partying 

I remember that it initially took me several years of going to Glastonbury before I even thought of bringing a pillow with me. What a complete revelation, that was! It wasn't long after that that I bought my first airbed. I remember the festival well, but couldn't tell you what the year was. I only know it as the year there was a large Birmingham contingent in our camp, and I knew them all. I walked up to a group and one lad I know (knew would be a better description) was lying in his tent on the ground. I looked at all the others and they were lying down in their tents, all on top of a blow up mattress. Then this lad said to me ' Hey Kev. Have you got a blow up air bed'? I was fortunate to be able to say 'yes' (as this was my airbed's first Glastonbury). I had no more said 'yes', than all the rest of the camp started laughing. I turned to the lad lying with no airbed on his tent groundsheet, and he said 'Why the fuck didn't anybody tell me'!?

48 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I remember that it initially took me several years of going to Glastonbury before I even thought of bringing a pillow with me. What a complete revelation, that was! It wasn't long after that that I bought my first airbed. I remember the festival well, but couldn't tell you what the year was. I only know it as the year there was a large Birmingham contingent in our camp, and I knew them all. I walked up to a group and one lad I know (knew would be a better description) was lying in his tent on the ground. I looked at all the others and they were lying down in their tents, all on top of a blow up mattress. Then this lad said to me ' Hey Kev. Have you got a blow up air bed'? I was fortunate to be able to say 'yes' (as this was my airbed's first Glastonbury). I had no more said 'yes', than all the rest of the camp started laughing. I turned to the lad lying with no airbed on his tent groundsheet, and he said 'Why the fuck didn't anybody tell me'!?

Been camping almost every summer for over 55 years, not just festivals,  and bringing my pillow that I am used to is the essential luxury! Also useful for the overnight sleep in the car park.  Got called all sorts of un PC names as a teenager for bringing  one to boys brigade camp. 

8 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Been camping almost every summer for over 55 years, not just festivals,  and bringing my pillow that I am used to is the essential luxury! Also useful for the overnight sleep in the car park.  Got called all sorts of un PC names as a teenager for bringing  one to boys brigade camp. 

Reading this is making me think I need to get some more camping stuff - the pain is carrying it in though especially ones with no alcohol re-entry etc. Can be quite hard to make my friends consider a second trip. Just did Boardmasters and Latitude with just a sleeping bag and pile of clothes for a pillowcase, I have got a fresh n black though luckily - thats the main thing really!

10 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

Now, that comfortable looking. Mind you, you wouldn't want to roll off the sides in the middle of the night. I did that on a very old tall bed once when staying at a historical property. In my dreams someone was about to land me a haymaker of punch. My reaction was to sort of leap up into the air and out of bed sideways both at the same time. Then my body observed all the known laws of physics, and fell to the floor. The floor being a non carpeted and hard floor. Certainly harder than me. However, I take solace in the fact that I avoided the haymaker, which could have done much more damage.

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I know all about trying to get the best comfort that you can sleeping in a car. I was once in a very volatile relationship. Many is the time that my then girlfriend would go off to the kitchen when I was in bed and come back and slowly pour a kettle of water over me in the bed. I never knew if she'd boiled it or not. On those occasions I'd really know that she'd lost it, so I used to jump in the car and drive to the car park of a nearby park, park up and try to get some sleep for work in the morning. The first time I did that I wasn't prepared, so had no pillows or duvet, or anything other than the clothes that I was in. that was a real shitty night, that was.

Eventually, as this process continued, I had the wise idea of putting two spare pillows and a spare duvet in the boot of my car. Many is the time that i woke up in that car park having heard the conversation of dog walkers, which roused me from my half sleep.

So, to conclude - pillows rock!

13 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I know all about trying to get the best comfort that you can sleeping in a car. I was once in a very volatile relationship. Many is the time that my then girlfriend would go off to the kitchen when I was in bed and come back and slowly pour a kettle of water over me in the bed. I never knew if she'd boiled it or not. On those occasions I'd really know that she'd lost it, so I used to jump in the car and drive to the car park of a nearby park, park up and try to get some sleep for work in the morning. The first time I did that I wasn't prepared, so had no pillows or duvet, or anything other than the clothes that I was in. that was a real shitty night, that was.

Eventually, as this process continued, I had the wise idea of putting two spare pillows and a spare duvet in the boot of my car. Many is the time that i woke up in that car park having heard the conversation of dog walkers, which roused me from my half sleep.

So, to conclude - pillows rock!

Oh!! You poor Lamb!

On 8/16/2021 at 4:47 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

If it has to be a mat, then I'd go for one of those self inflating ones. You can get a little bit extra into them by blowing into the air intake valve. I've used one before and had no complaints. It increased physical and thermal comfort for sure. However, an airbed that doesn't go down overnight has got to be the way to go. However, decent ones can be heavy, and that has to be factored in too.

I think a self inflating Matt is the one, mostly because I usually arrive by train and this would be the lightest option.

9 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I think a self inflating Matt is the one, mostly because I usually arrive by train and this would be the lightest option.

Well, remember that you can blow them up that little bit further on top of their self inflating capabilities, and that it is worth doing so. 

All the best with your quest.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, lazzareo said:

I'm on the look out for a new self inflating mattress but got to be 10cm depth as makes a huge difference.  Has anyone used AliExpress before as £27 for a 10cm mattress is decent value.

10cm Mattress

AliExpress is where people who sell on Amazon source from in bulk, its basically chinese amazon. Definitely trustworthy but it will likely take a while to arrive (end of Feb for UK). Only 6 reviews but they are all 5* and one has some pictures - would be interested to know how it is. It has full buyer protection etc like you would expect and obviously if it doesn't show you have ages to get a different one

Edited by gfa

2 hours ago, lazzareo said:

I'm on the look out for a new self inflating mattress but got to be 10cm depth as makes a huge difference.  Has anyone used AliExpress before as £27 for a 10cm mattress is decent value.

10cm Mattress

Ali express is fine just stuff can take a month of two to arrive.
Just keep in mind that is not really a self inflating mat (it’s a standard air mattress with a built in hand pump) If you want a self inflating mattress with the foam inside this might be a good option. But obviously it will be bulkier 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatable-camping-mattress-ultim-comfort-70-cm-1-person/_/R-p-307396?mc=8595946&c=BEIGE

i have a 10cm thick vango one and it’s well worth it 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B09BJV39FB?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

This came today. Only a tenner. It might even be too bright. It's absolutely ridiculous! Someone has attached a video in the reviews showing it lighting up their garden. Wanted one for a while for the tent at night and navigating my way to the toilets. 

• Like 1