ghandi

Last night i watched Jools Holland........... and

10 hours ago, Billjames7 said:

Just caught Boy Azooga on tonight’s live show. Really like the sound of their 3 released tunes so interested to hear the rest of their album next month. Sounded good live and think their shows will be good fun. £8 a ticket can’t complain

Was at the recording last night. The boys were clearly really nervous, and humbled at having such an opportunity. Plenty of hugs once their live slot had finished. Sounded excellent too.

• Like 1

The sound during the Manics was awful. Hardly any bass and the keys were too loud. They should be taking lessons from the engineers at KEXP. The sessions always sound spot on for them.

When I went to the show in 2012 I was a guest of a sound engineer and he showed me the set-up.  Here is my summary of what I can remember:

Each band has their own sound desk situated nearby.  They are neally always behind the band and out of site.  Often down an alley between audience risers.  Their job is to mix for the bands monitors and get each instrument balanced well.  They create a mostly finished mix that is then output to two further places (see below). 

Bigger bands that are currently on tour will often bring their own person to mix the band.  But the smaller artists or those that only have a mic and a guitar will use a sound tech provided by the studio.  My mate was one of these and each week will travel 3 hours to London (now Maidstone) to mix just one or two songs played on only one or two instruments.  Consider also that set up and rehearsals start on Monday morning and continue right up till late on Tuesday, there is an awful lot of hanging around.  Each band has a call time for set up and each rehearsal, so at least he knows beforehand which time he has off. 

One place that takes the mix from the band is "TV land".  This is the production control room that takes all the studio sound feeds (Jools mic, guest speakers, studio audience etc) and each of the bands mixes from the above sound desks.  They produce the final mix for broadcast.  They have the ability to fiddle with the sound from each desk - but this is somewhat limited.  Also in this room are the vision mixers and lighting crew.  I poked my head in during rehearsal and it all looked very stark and controlled.  About 20 people sat at 20 consoles with headsets.

The second place that takes the mix from each band is yet another sound desk within the studio.  The person here mixes the sound that gets played in the studio that the studio audience get to hear.  These speakers are positioned above the audience and due to the circular nature of the studio, the only speakers that are active are the ones pointing away from the current performing band.  The sound from these speakers is not too loud and if you happen to be stood behind a performing band, you may actually hear more from the bands monitors than the studio speakers.  This is limited to prevent feedback and remember the sound for TV viewers is of higher importance than the sound for the live audience.

Here is the set-up on the night I went.  Cyan are stage areas, blue are audience.

Jools.PNG.a2ad97456e4638ec64407452c65044b5.PNG

• Like 2

This weeks show was one of the worst I've seen for years, The Breeders were barely in tune.

Bjork is an artist I really like, in theory.  I admire the imagination that goes into creating new ways to experience music, inventing new instruments, pioneering new technologies.  All that.

In reality though, her and I parted ways many albums ago.  I've long conceded to myself that her music is just too challenging to for me to find it enjoyable.

I'm glad she's out there not compromising, pushing boundaries and not doing a 25th anniversary tour of Debut.  And I'm happy in the knowledge I saw her a couple of times in the summer of 1994 (including Glastonbury) when she did more accessible pop music. 

Edited by fatyeti24

On 5/16/2018 at 1:27 PM, ian the worm said:

When I went to the show in 2012 I was a guest of a sound engineer and he showed me the set-up.  Here is my summary of what I can remember:

Each band has their own sound desk situated nearby.  They are neally always behind the band and out of site.  Often down an alley between audience risers.  Their job is to mix for the bands monitors and get each instrument balanced well.  They create a mostly finished mix that is then output to two further places (see below). 

Bigger bands that are currently on tour will often bring their own person to mix the band.  But the smaller artists or those that only have a mic and a guitar will use a sound tech provided by the studio.  My mate was one of these and each week will travel 3 hours to London (now Maidstone) to mix just one or two songs played on only one or two instruments.  Consider also that set up and rehearsals start on Monday morning and continue right up till late on Tuesday, there is an awful lot of hanging around.  Each band has a call time for set up and each rehearsal, so at least he knows beforehand which time he has off. 

One place that takes the mix from the band is "TV land".  This is the production control room that takes all the studio sound feeds (Jools mic, guest speakers, studio audience etc) and each of the bands mixes from the above sound desks.  They produce the final mix for broadcast.  They have the ability to fiddle with the sound from each desk - but this is somewhat limited.  Also in this room are the vision mixers and lighting crew.  I poked my head in during rehearsal and it all looked very stark and controlled.  About 20 people sat at 20 consoles with headsets.

The second place that takes the mix from each band is yet another sound desk within the studio.  The person here mixes the sound that gets played in the studio that the studio audience get to hear.  These speakers are positioned above the audience and due to the circular nature of the studio, the only speakers that are active are the ones pointing away from the current performing band.  The sound from these speakers is not too loud and if you happen to be stood behind a performing band, you may actually hear more from the bands monitors than the studio speakers.  This is limited to prevent feedback and remember the sound for TV viewers is of higher importance than the sound for the live audience.

Here is the set-up on the night I went.  Cyan are stage areas, blue are audience.

Jools.PNG.a2ad97456e4638ec64407452c65044b5.PNG

I was there this week, it's not changed much - to make way for Bjork's garden centre - they cut out piano corner.

2 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

This weeks show was one of the worst I've seen for years, The Breeders were barely in tune.

They played it again - so expect it to be better on Saturday, I thought the acts were great. I wasn't expecting to like them (except Marling) but I was presently surprised both Tuck, and Mahal are gonna be great live prospects.

I went last week when the Manics were on and had an ace time, really enjoyed all the acts they had on that week. A mate who won tickets tickets invited me, I have never had any joy getting tickets having applied for many years. But now I have managed to bag tickets myself for 5th June so will be going again! Happy days

I didn't get Bjork at all this week, I use to love her slightly more 'mainstream' stuff from a few years back, but Tuesday's performance was just odd for odds sake in my opinion

11 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

I didn't get Bjork at all this week, I use to love her slightly more 'mainstream' stuff from a few years back, but Tuesday's performance was just odd for odds sake in my opinion

Yeah....agree.

The first song especially sounded like some noise being made up as we went along. Shame really.

Thought LUMP were quite good last week, can’t imagine a world where they’re not getting booked for Glastonbury.

Went last week and thought St Vincent was ace on the hour long show, especially the collab with Kamasi

St Vinny is on fire right now. That album was glorious and she's red hot live. Someone needs to take a punt on her next year and give her decent billing somewhere - think she got fucked over a bit at APE. 

She would be a very 'worthy' Park, JP or West Holts headliner. It would be ace

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

She would be a very 'worthy' Park, JP or West Holts headliner. It would be ace

I thought her Park set a few years back was outstanding. I managed to get a plus one on my pit pass an eFest friend working the other side of the site just happened to contact me to go for a drink..... We squatted on the inside of the pit barrier steps sipping some fancy slush ice cocktails that I got from a passing Mr Bimble and fed our selves silly on her talent. 

Unsurprisingly great and incredibly cool performance by Goat Girl, I've not seen them in yonks good to see they're getting tighter as a unit. Should really get round to getting my tickets for the autumn tour.

Anyone else worth checking out from last night?

On 5/30/2018 at 11:42 AM, Alex DeLarge said:

Thought LUMP were quite good last week, can’t imagine a world where they’re not getting booked for Glastonbury.

If there was a festival this year, I imagine they would be playing!

They almost certainly won't be active in 2019 as I would imagine Marling will be onto her next album promo / touring etc by then

They have said that if you want to see them you need to basically see them now

Edited by Memory Man

It's all a load of bollox... Old sons 

Just watched that IDLES track on iPlayer. Let's be honest it sounded kind of dreadful, but at the same time it really doesn't matter.  That was just proper impressive to watch. Gutted I didn't get a ticket for Brighton.