Which was worse - 2007 or 2016  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Which was worse - 2007 or 2016

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Looking at this Vid reminds me that anywhere there is a path that's made of hardcore is fine, I'm guessing there are a lot more now than there were in 2007? Also I think somebody once said that any land ME owns has hardcore paths and anything with metal tracks he probably doesn't?

Yeah- plus there's a been all the drainage improvements. Which I guess really paid off last year. One would have to imagine that 2016's weather happening pre-drainage would have led the festival being cancelled. Likely in the days before as they failed to finish the build.

2 hours ago, Greenelk said:

I'm another in the 2007 being far worse camp.

Last year was bloody hard work, and by the time we collapsed in our tents, removing out boots highlighted the pain, but in 2007 I felt defeated by the end of the festival.  Not being able to get dry at all, always feeling cold and damp.  A few people I know got quite ill after 2007, one of the ladies got a really bad chest infection, and hasn't returned since.  I'm pretty sure 2007 was the year I got trench foot as well!  Couldn't feel my big toes for a couple of months.

I guess the other thing was that last year was mostly okay on the way out. Monday 2007 was the worst day, so people's final impression of the entire event would have been negative / wet. And for those getting public transport the mud had delayed coaches and people were stood for 8 hours+ in the rain at the coach station. The Red Cross were called in to provide aid. And that sort of thing has a far greater impact than the similarly awful conditions on the way in during 2016.

2 hours ago, Woffy said:

Amateur. Small backpack with two zips that meet in the middle / top worn inside / underneath waterproof coat. Lean over backpack opening with hood of waterproof up to prevent ingress of rain into rolling area. Smoking materials packed towards top of backpack contents. Packet of babywipes at the very top, bottom upwards with a concave indentation created running along the length of the packet. Roll with paper(s) sat in indentation. Repack smoking materials. Zip up backpack ensuring both zips zipped to side rather than together at the top. Enjoy. Just as indie landfill Other Opener strikes up. You know the rest. 

While your step by step guide is both informative and useful, I believe that you are making the assumption that professionalism by its nature excludes cackhandedness.

You would be wrong.

I'd say I'll get some practice in, but there's no need with the glorious weather we'll be having.

17 minutes ago, Quark said:

While your step by step guide is both informative and useful, I believe that you are making the assumption that professionalism by its nature excludes cackhandedness.

You would be wrong.

I'd say I'll get some practice in, but there's no need with the glorious weather we'll be having.

Are you retaining your amateur status so you can compete in the next Shitty Saggy Spliff Rolling Olympics?

11 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

2007 wasn't helped by being the only year I've gone on the official coach. 4am Monday morning in the pissing rain at the Gate A coach station was one of the grimmest experiences I've ever had at Glastonbury.

Weather was terrible, half the coaches had been delayed or cancelled due to them being stuck in mud, everyone was crammed into tiny pens which were getting dangerously overcrowded. Our coach arrived and about 200 people made a break for it, it got really nasty. I got one of the last seats and that was only because my 6ft 7 rugby playing beast of mate got on then turned around and dragged me out of the crowd and onto the bus.

It was really ugly.

I had this experience at 7am. It was horrible. We had to fight to get out of a pen on to a coach that we had tickets for.

Most of the festival for me wasn't fun. I just felt cold and miserable from the rain. My back ached.  There was nowhere to sit. I remember wading through mud pretty much everywhere except our campsite.

2016's weather was much better. It was warm, it didn't rain much.  The worst part was the arrival experience which was soon forgotten. It wasn't muddy everywhere.

No contest - for me 2007 was much worse.

2008 took ages to sell out, this year no such worries so it's fair to say 2007 was a bummer for a lot of people. I found last year hard work cos I wrecked my feet on the Friday so it meant missing a lot of bands due to the distance through thick mud. 2007 was easy compared as it didn't dry out. John Fogerty on west holts on the Sunday night is still one of my fondest memories of the festival even if was pissing down. Eavis was loving it too.

It was my first year last year and with the mud being the sticky kind it was exhausting. My first ever festival was a washout with shitloads of mud and continuous rain but there was no sticky mud. My first glasto was always going to be a muddy one- Sod's law. The sticky mud made it worse than the other festival I went to though however it was nice not to have continuous rain. I'd take the similar weather during the festival this year as long as its not too bad pre festival. 

Whats strange was last years weather was fine for me throughout the festival. A bit of rain here and there, I can cope with. The problem was the sticky, deep mud which stopped us from having the occasional sit down which is often much needed. Constant rain would probably destroy me. 

I often wonder why people don't mention 2011 more. I know the Sunday was amazing but, fuck me, it was grim at times. Although we did break down on the first day and had to walk for 4 miles with all our gear as cars drove by and splashed us...

5 hours ago, joeltg said:

2015 was lovely, and 2014 was a stunner as well if i'm not mistaken. 

2014 - hot wed & thurs, then a very hot friday until a massive storm. A pretty damp saturday, hot sunday.

2015 - very hot wed & thurs. Pretty Damp friday - hammered it down through Mary J Blige, dry saturday, hot sunday.

38 minutes ago, Keithy said:

2016 for me, just so energy sapping. Wrote off visiting SE corner, Acoustic and eventually JP. Just didn't have the energy for the trudge. 

2014 had the best storm though. 

In had a similar experience, only went to JP once and didn't go to SE corner at all, which is a real shame, and a massive contrast from the year before when you could just flit from stage to stage really easily. 

47 minutes ago, Keithy said:

2016 for me, just so energy sapping. Wrote off visiting SE corner, Acoustic and eventually JP. Just didn't have the energy for the trudge. 

2014 had the best storm though. 

NO NO NO 2005 had the best storm by a gazillion miles...

I was up at 6am after an early night thanks to too much beer and Sun on a scorching Thursday, to see the thunderous black clouds approaching, and wandered off down to the Common Ground cafe for some breakfast.

Cue the most wonderous storm ive ever seen. 6 hours of non stop flashes and bangs, best light show ever.

Nothing will ever beat that storm...

Rest of the weekend was lovely mind :)  Although telling that to the people whose tents were under 4 foot of water probably doesnt wash.

1 minute ago, BeddyDriver said:

NO NO NO 2005 had the best storm by a gazillion miles...

I was up at the Stone Circle fucked on shrooms and saw that storm in the distance. I was completely passed out when it hit the site - I didn't even know it had been raining until I opened the tent doors.

Best storm of my life.

Thinking BACK 

08 and maybe 09 were pretty shite weather wise, I ma not sure why I kept on going 04 , 05  and 07 were most definitely shite weather wise 10 was the first year I can think of where it was lovely. Granted after the big flood the sun was lovely but the damage was already done/ 

29 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

Thinking BACK 

08 and maybe 09 were pretty shite weather wise, I ma not sure why I kept on going 04 , 05  and 07 were most definitely shite weather wise 10 was the first year I can think of where it was lovely. Granted after the big flood the sun was lovely but the damage was already done/ 

And this is exactly why you cant stop :)

Your list has has  just reminded me why i took 2010 off !!!

And look what happened...

Havent missed another one since !!

41 minutes ago, BeddyDriver said:

And this is exactly why you cant stop :)

Your list has has  just reminded me why i took 2010 off !!!

And look what happened...

Havent missed another one since !!

F.O.M.O 

i hate missing a year for that reason what if it's glorious