Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely since we've got these three nailed on, we should start thinking about post-fallow headliners?

Or even what folk will do instead of Glasto in '18. I mean, what festival has someone not yet down that feels 2018 is a good year to give it a crack?

If Werchter's lineup is anything like this year for '18, that's a no brainer to me.

3 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Surely since we've got these three nailed on, we should start thinking about post-fallow headliners?

Or even what folk will do instead of Glasto in '18. I mean, what festival has someone not yet down that feels 2018 is a good year to give it a crack?

If Werchter's lineup is anything like this year for '18, that's a no brainer to me.

its difficult because we're approaching the stage where there are very few acts left to do it.

I guess that Glasto could dedicate those two years to get a very special act to do it that they'd probably have been priced out of in the past.

I do think 2019 will have a returning headliner. Possibly Arctic Monkeys doing it again?

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

its difficult because we're approaching the stage where there are very few acts left to do it.

I guess that Glasto could dedicate those two years to get a very special act to do it that they'd probably have been priced out of in the past.

I do think 2019 will have a returning headliner. Possibly Arctic Monkeys doing it again?

Are we really approaching that stage? I think there's a significant plethora of acts who are feasibly big enough to headline Glastonbury. Across the big six UK festivals this summer, the only acts who haven't headlined Glastonbury are Eminem, Pink, Biffy Clyro, Run DMC and David Guetta. Discarding the last two immediately, the other three arguably all have the back catalogues and recent success to justify (all previous albums went gold).

Granted, whether they're "Glastonbury" enough is something - but everyone said that Metallica and Adele weren't and they triumphed.

And yes, I think Arctic Monkeys will be back in 19. I'd rather them not - but I think they will.

33 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Are we really approaching that stage? I think there's a significant plethora of acts who are feasibly big enough to headline Glastonbury. Across the big six UK festivals this summer, the only acts who haven't headlined Glastonbury are Eminem, Pink, Biffy Clyro, Run DMC and David Guetta. Discarding the last two immediately, the other three arguably all have the back catalogues and recent success to justify (all previous albums went gold).

Granted, whether they're "Glastonbury" enough is something - but everyone said that Metallica and Adele weren't and they triumphed.

And yes, I think Arctic Monkeys will be back in 19. I'd rather them not - but I think they will.

Yeah, Arctic Monkeys returning in 2019 sounds reasonable, 6 year gap like last time. I'm unlikely to be watching them, but it's pretty tricky to get acts big enough.

Pink Floyd might be persuaded at one point (or whichever one of them who doesn't want to do it might be) ditto Fleetwood Mac, although their time has seemingly passed. Foals will definitely be a headliner at some point, as will Florence again and Arctic Monkeys as mentioned. Rihanna and Madonna are obviously big enough and must be in their radar.

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Pink Floyd might be persuaded at one point (or whichever one of them who doesn't want to do it might be) ditto Fleetwood Mac, although their time has seemingly passed. Foals will definitely be a headliner at some point, as will Florence again and Arctic Monkeys as mentioned. Rihanna and Madonna are obviously big enough and must be in their radar.

Much more chance of Fleetwood Mac than Floyd (even given the money issue) given that they are still together, whereas Gilmour has made it perfectly clear Floyd are done.

Yeah I definitely think someone like the 1975 will headline in 2019, there's definitely gonna be a band that rises to headline status in 2019.

I imagine Arctic monkeys will headline reading 2018, but a la muse 2016, that won't stop them headlining Glasto in 2019. 

They will definitely be chasing after a ginormous act for 2019, one they really want to do it... can't think of an obvious choice yet, heck it may be that Floyd reunion - but they'l definitely be talking to someone pretty massive about it.

I'd imagine that Coldplay headlining in 2016 means they will probably return in 2020 for the 50th anniversary

in fact I'm touting Coldplay, The Rolling Stones and Blur for the 50th anniversary... how about that!

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What about them? This isn't the other stage thread. *sick burn*

Well played, sire :P

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Anyone else hear the sound of eastynh racing towards this thread?

Who is this eastynh that you speak of?

If we're going for future headliners who aren't yet of size, then The 1975 do seem the obvious choice. I can't think of another arena artist going without major festival headline experience already outside of them, save Bastille, who I can envision having a somewhat significant drop off.

I reckon Oasis are a shout for 2020. Glasto in its 50th year and Definitely Maybe will be coming to the end of its 25th Anniversary year. All depends on whether the Gallaghers get their heads out of their own arses and make up which will all broil down to City ever winning the Champions League Haha