Headliner predictions 2017

swede

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I find Radiohead difficult to listen to in the same way I find Joy Division difficult to listen to. The odd song here and there is fine. High and Dry came on my Deezer flow recently and I sat there thinking this is a quality tune. Yet if I listen to more than a couple then it leaves me cold. Joy Division have exactly the same effect on me.

at least appreciate them for making Camberwick Green cool again, come on mate

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Cheers fellas. Nothing I can do till the steroids start working. I am dreading tomorrow if it is a heavy night.Taking it easy, is easier said than done.

No doubt I will make a fool of myself in some way Untz. It would not be the Xmas doo if we didn't :-D

I had an attack at GF in 2014, it really wasn't pleasant.

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I find Radiohead difficult to listen to in the same way I find Joy Division difficult to listen to. The odd song here and there is fine. High and Dry came on my Deezer flow recently and I sat there thinking this is a quality tune. Yet if I listen to more than a couple then it leaves me cold. Joy Division have exactly the same effect on me.

Go on to the Radiohead thread and say "High and Dry" is your favourite RH song. It will floor 'em.

8 minutes ago, eastynh said:

ffs that's their worst one!

That being said, if radiohead and stone roses were both headlining at the same time and I could hand pick the set lists, and I had a guarantee that both bands would be at the top of their game....I'd pick stone roses.

12 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

They wrote it on his seatee after having dinner together. The 'victory for the record label' type of pop music you were seemingly alluding to in your original post usually sees the eventual singer not even meet the writer let alone have any input. But if you are calling for Amy to appear on the Pyramid in June I'm bang up for it, she's great :)

Ok but its not far off considering she's a songwriter for hire and they probably met through his record label/publisher which again suggests that they thought he needed the help. I'm Interested what it means for potential future headliners would Sam Smith or someone from One Direction be worthy headliners if they get popular enough?

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Gaga performing in a non headlining context is one of the big takeaways at the moment.

A stupendous booking.

I'm sad she's not headlining. I think we'll just get a teasing glimpse at how good a full headline set would have been with a sub set. An hour and 10 mins for a Gaga sub compared to a 2+ hour headliner.... a dozen songs as a sub? 3 from Joanne, 2 from Art-Pop...leaves 7 at best from the 10 big singles and that's if she cuts down on the chatter between songs.

Just Dance
Poker Face
Paparazzi
Bad Romance
Telephone
Alejandro
Born This Way
Judas
The Edge of Glory
You and I

...and that's missing out on some cracking album tracks too.

Think it'll go down as one of the great Glastonbury lost headliners....should have headlined but never did.

Crossing my fingers for a late change of heart and she get an Other Stage headline slot for 90 minutes or Ed comes down with the clap or something.

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

ffs that's their worst one!

That being said, if radiohead and stone roses were both headlining at the same time and I could hand pick the set lists, and I had a guarantee that both bands would be at the top of their game....I'd pick stone roses.

Its still a good tune though mate, just like the JD ones are. It is just listening to them for a sustained period that leaves me cold. Seeing them live was a no no, just did not click with me at all. Was exactly the same when I seen Hooky do his JD set recently. Although the JD set was just too dark and too heavy for me. It reminded me of being a kid and not in a good way.

25 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Ok but its not far off considering she's a songwriter for hire and they probably met through his record label/publisher which again suggests that they thought he needed the help. 

well no, because - as I've said - their paternship dates back to before he was anything, let alone had a record label. One of the many independent EPs he put out before he caught the eye of Elton John is literally called 'Songs I Wrote With Amy'. I'm not trying to claim he's Leonard Cohen - he isn't - but he's not some manufactured talent show alumni who has all his songs handed to him on a plate by Sia either.

39 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Ok but its not far off considering she's a songwriter for hire and they probably met through his record label/publisher which again suggests that they thought he needed the help. I'm Interested what it means for potential future headliners would Sam Smith or someone from One Direction be worthy headliners if they get popular enough?

I'm not sure what difference it makes, but he released Songs I Wrote With Amy before he was with a label.

Co-writing aside, he did put in the graft independently before making it big. 

47 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

well no, because - as I've said - their paternship dates back to before he was anything, let alone had a record label. One of the many independent EPs he put out before he caught the eye of Elton John is literally called 'Songs I Wrote With Amy'. I'm not trying to claim he's Leonard Cohen - he isn't - but he's not some manufactured talent show alumni who has all his songs handed to him on a plate by Sia either.

Says here they we put together by his publishing company when he was unsigned. I know he works hard (like many artists) but I don't see the difference between him and someone from one direction (who also co-write their songs). 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/wales/entries/859fbf05-1712-3f16-9568-78802c5ca6fb

22 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Says here they we put together by his publishing company when he was unsigned.

Her publishing company sent her a whole bunch of unsigned people, and they became friends. Then years later, after he'd become huge on his own merit, she was in financial trouble so he offered to help her out by sticking a song on the deluxe edition of an album and Thinking Out Loud came out of nowhere when they'd met up to sort it out. It's hardly the same as a major label being given a talent show winner they are contractually obliged to push and, in wanting to make someone with no talent look slightly respectable, deciding to give said talent show winner an unwarranted co-write on something that was in fact written by someone they'd never met or had any kind of relationship with :rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

I don't see the difference between him and someone from one direction (who also co-write their songs). 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/wales/entries/859fbf05-1712-3f16-9568-78802c5ca6fb

well he worked his arse off for years to move up through the industry rather than being handed everything on a plate through a talent show, for a start.

Edited by Zac Quinn

On 16/12/2016 at 10:14 AM, Zac Quinn said:

because that's subjective innit. He's clearly not 'too shit for Glastonbury', having been booked multiple times, and he'll be the most popular act on the bill, ergo  - other than people's personal dislike of his music, which half the festival will probably disagree with anyway, judging by his 2014 crowd - there's no reason he shouldn't headline. Not like there's a risk he'll encourage morons to apply for tickets for next year either like there was with Kasabian, he doesn't appeal to the wee-throwing brigade 

My comment wasn't aimed at any one particular act, I was thinking more in general terms. I'm sure if they booked Little Mix, Justin Bieber and their ilk, there would be plenty of the same "solid booking" comments based on popularity; albeit it with zero artistic merit to speak of.

9 hours ago, ericlered said:

My comment wasn't aimed at any one particular act, I was thinking more in general terms. I'm sure if they booked Little Mix, Justin Bieber and their ilk, there would be plenty of the same "solid booking" comments based on popularity; albeit it with zero artistic merit to speak of.

Not sure if you are being serious here. I don't think anyone on here would say Bieber was a solid booking. Little mix though? I'd be behind them for sure 

On 16/12/2016 at 2:40 PM, Zac Quinn said:

at least appreciate them for making Camberwick Green cool again, come on mate

Camberwick Green - in fact the whole Trumptonshire Trilogy - has always been cool Quinner. 

Although the potential for a Trump gag has now probably soiled it. 

36 minutes ago, Purple aki squat said:

Not sure if you are being serious here. I don't think anyone on here would say Bieber was a solid booking. Little mix though? I'd be behind them for sure 

Perv. 

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Gonna ask Ed Sheeran if he's doing it......

....just found out he's my niece's boyfriend's parent's friend's son so we're practically related :lol:

Get us all a few yurts, backstage passes and free cider bus tokens as well while you're there please