Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, crocodiles said:

Yeah looking at earlier tour set lists been doing 30 31 tracks was 23 last night.  I  can only assume Robert may have been struggling with tour schedule or not feeling great . Still a great 2 hour set . They've been varying set a bit but missed a few out last night.  Charlotte sometimes caterpillar disintegration 

I was there as well, Robert was obviously feeling unwell, he kept feeling his throat, had loads of orange juices behind him on stage from the very start, and could barely sing during the encores. Three hour sets have been the norm through the whole world tour, we were just very unlucky. I'm told by a superfan that he was struck down with lurgee since around the Berlin gig and hasn't had anytime to recover properly. No doubt he'll be fine for the 3 bloody London gigs.

16 hours ago, Charm said:

Mr Charm and I were talking about this and he seemed to think prices are set by the promoter and the artist gets a fee per show rather than a share of profits, the promoter takes the risk as to whether a gig sells out and the artist gets paid regardless of ticket sales. 
Charm x

True to an extent, I'm a promoter and it's my risk to pay a guarantee to a band regardless of sales. This can sometimes rise though as it's generally a rule to include a percentage rate in case it sells really well. So for example the guarantee would be £x vs 80% which means the artist is guaranteed £x, but if 80% of all profit is higher than the guarantee, they get that instead.

Promoters have to make an offer to the agent which is either accepted or countered - generally the agent will decide what fee they think the band is worth as it is in their best interests to get as high a fee as possible as they take 15-20% of every fee.

For the bigger shows and tours the fee is generally set by the agent - Adele for example her tour is ran by one of the big hitters like SJM who just give Adele 80% of income after all costs rather than dealing with promoters directly, that's where it gets corrupt though.

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

well the "strong on women" thing didnt last long did it!

If Gaga and Diana Ross turn up as suspected, they are likely to take all the media attention away, certainly from Radiohead and Foos, perhaps not from Ed. 

On the plus side, Ed may decide to share a personal recommendation with one Miss T Swift who we could hopefully see turn up after the fallow year. 

7 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

What can the festival do if there is no woman at headline level to book 

The festival decides who is at headline level. No one else. They are the only people who can create headline level acts, by having them headline at their festival. The only way your statement would make sense is if there are zero female acts available to play at the festival, which is obviously nonsense.

The fact the festival sells out before the line up is even released makes the decision risk-free.

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

The fact the festival sells out before the line up is even released makes the decision risk-free.

Only for a year. 

The guaranteed sell out would be far from certain the year after they decided to go with a headlining trio of - say, Angel Olsen, Julia Holter and Lady Leshurr.

9 minutes ago, russycarps said:

The festival decides who is at headline level. No one else. They are the only people who can create headline level acts, by having them headline at their festival. The only way your statement would make sense is if there are zero female acts available to play at the festival, which is obviously nonsense.

They shot themselves in the foot with the whole Florence fiasco. She should have headlined in the first place, then they could have given themselves a nice pat on the back and shown they are willing to promote a fresh, female act in to that spot. Instead they booked her as a sub, then were pretty much forced to promote her as a headliner. 

She should have headlined instead of the Dave and the lads, in the process sending out a strong message about the future direction of the festival. Ultimately, it just demonstrates your point that their promotion of female acts is largely a token effort and dependent on whether someone as popular as Adele is ready to headline. 

Edited by jparx

Agree that they messed up with Flo. But she should have been there in place of The Who, not FF as originally planned. 

I've got no issue with first timers likes  The Foo's and Ed taking headline spots, it's The Who, Muse and Coldplay (in recent years) who were the poor choices. 

Gaga, Rihanna, Swifty and Madge are all capable and should headline IMO. 

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Agree that they messed up with Flo. But she should have been there in place of The Who, not FF as originally planned. 

I've got no issue with first timers likes  The Foo's and Ed taking headline spots, it's The Who, Muse and Coldplay (in recent years) who were the poor choices. 

Gaga, Rihanna, Swifty and Madge are all capable and should headline IMO. 

Foo Fighters have played the UK so extensively though. Does the fact they are first timers for Glastonbury really mean anything? As far as the general public is concerned, it's the same old rock band playing a big show in the UK. Just as they have done hundreds of times before. 

I'm all for first timers headlining, but for me that means first timers that haven't played big shows in this country for 20 years. Otherwise it just feels like a giant act ticking off festivals.