Headliner predictions 2017

swede

On 10/11/2016 at 0:35 AM, Zac Quinn said:

I worked in Frontierland over the summer so I heard that twice a day every day for two months. I didn't want to watch the last one but I couldn't resist once you posted it and now I'm in floods of tears. You cruel soul.

Amazing!! I am super jealous. /offtopic

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Nah.

Noel is about ego as much as money. Headlining the biggest festival in the world means something to him.

Yeah, I agree, it would mean something to Noel who also probably doesn't need the money. On the other hand Liam would probably want the big pay days. There's a good argument for them to get stuck into before they've even got back together.

Even though I love Oasis, who were the band who got me into music, I'm not sure I'd want to see them at Glasto. If Liam hasn't sorted his voice out from the last time I saw them anyway.

If they do get back together and play there's no way I would miss it though.

Not for 2017 - because Gahan says so - but.....

Remember I said a few years ago they were lined up to headline, but they pulled back from it because they didn't want to extend their touring...?

The group had previously turned down a slot at the festival because the tour they were on "had fizzled out", said Gahan.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/depeche-mode-uk-stadium-gig-a-risk-35124116.html

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Not for 2017 - because Gahan says so - but.....

Remember I said a few years ago they were lined up to headline, but they pulled back from it because they didn't want to extend their touring...?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/depeche-mode-uk-stadium-gig-a-risk-35124116.html

i'm warming more to the idea of them headlining, although of course if it's not 2017 and in 2018 there's no festival then it means it can't happen again until 2020 at the earliest (assuming that's the earliest they'd have another new record/tour ready, and it'd probably be even later than that). probably ain't ever gonna happen

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

i'm warming more to the idea of them headlining, although of course if it's not 2017 and in 2018 there's no festival then it means it can't happen again until 2020 at the earliest (assuming that's the earliest they'd have another new record/tour ready, and it'd probably be even later than that). probably ain't ever gonna happen

Their next tour would be 2021/22 on their classic schedule. I think next year had to have been the year if ever but they've messed it up, the dopes. Or probably the festival lined someone else up in the interim, but the band/their peeps still shouldn't have let that happen. :P

not being funny but really how many tunes do DM have that would unite a pyramid field? Three?

I think anything that's not enjoy the silence, just can't get enough and personal Jesus would go down like a lead balloon.

People just don't know the tunes? Obviously fans would but I would take a punt on there not being many comitted DM fans at your average glastonbury.

not really big enough, and not touring at the moment, and after the Kanye backlash I can't see another rapper so soon.

plus given the aversion to bumping up acts in recent years (eg. Florence, Foals), then I don't see them taking that much of a risk.

if they were going to go for a rapper, Drake is a more likely choice as he's bigger, more mainstream, and is touring.

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

not really big enough, and not touring at the moment

but might be next summer.

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

if they were going to go for a rapper, Drake is a more likely choice as he's bigger, more mainstream, and is touring.

ahhh, good shout, makes sense.

So that's another for the list of possibles.

Must admit I caught a bit of Kendrick at Benicassim this year and I did think it was pretty awful. I will admit he's not exactly my bag though so not as if I could make a fair judgment. Would personally see him as a pretty underwhelming headliner but with the prospect of him being alongside Radiohead and the Stone Roses that's hardly a massive disappointment!

29 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Just had another thought for a possible headliner - Kendrick.

Have i stretched it, or is that within what people think is possible?

Surely the likes of:

Biffy Clyro

The Killers

Kings of Leon

Drake

Kendrik Lamar

Are all still in with a shout for the 3rd spot (along with Ed Sheeran and Lady Gaga). 

That's presuming Radiohead and The Stone Roses have the other 2. 

5 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Must admit I caught a bit of Kendrick at Benicassim this year and I did think it was pretty awful. I will admit he's not exactly my bag though so not as if I could make a fair judgment. Would personally see him as a pretty underwhelming headliner but with the prospect of him being alongside Radiohead and the Stone Roses that's hardly a massive disappointment!

I saw him at Longitude a few days earlier and thought he was pretty average too, and I say that as a fan. he really butchers a lot of the songs with the live band. so many unnecessary drum fills and sudden stops in the middle of songs which ruined the flow.

saw him with just a DJ in 2013 and it was far better.

5 minutes ago, sisco said:

Surely the likes of:

Biffy Clyro

The Killers

Kings of Leon

Drake

Kendrik Lamar

Are all still in with a shout for the 3rd spot (along with Ed Sheeran and Lady Gaga). 

That's presuming Radiohead and The Stone Roses have the other 2. 

biffy's not a bad shout, but I'm thinking Killers and Kol are too old an act if RH & SR are the other two. They're likely to want a newer act to go with those two.

I'd make an exception with that for a properly-special act like Daft Punk, but I don't think killers or KoL would be that exception.

Kendrick could definitely headline next year. Those saying he's not big enough - does it really matter? If RH and SR are the other two, they can take a chance on the other and help Kendrick fully conquer the UK. The festival should take more risks with headliners and not limit themselves to acts that have sold X amount of records. Not to mention the guy is headlining Coachella (apparently), which must count for something. (Yes I know acts have headlined Coachella and played lower slots at Glastonbury, and yes I know it's his local festival so he'd get higher billing).

He's going to explode over here sooner than later so why not give him the shot now?

46 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

biffy's not a bad shout, but I'm thinking Killers and Kol are too old an act if RH & SR are the other two. They're likely to want a newer act to go with those two.

I'd make an exception with that for a properly-special act like Daft Punk, but I don't think killers or KoL would be that exception.

Yeah I don't see why they'd book The Killers or KOL in a quiet year anymore, let alone in a year where it looks like there'll be more than enough relevant options for them to choose from.

Edited by Zac Quinn