Headliner predictions 2017

swede

6 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Plus Bowie and Prince bowed out of 'efestivals headliner bingo' this year too. Imagine if the top five most wanted headliners on here were all taken out of the game within 18 months. Suddenly there'd only really be Fleetwood Mac left as one that gets called for year in year out. Mental.

How much they get requested on here is up for debate, but Madonna, T-Swizzle, Foo Fighters and Rihanna are all headliners in waiting. 

Mix in acts maybe not quite big enough who could make up the numbers - Depeche Mode, Pearl Jam - with the likes of Kendrick Lamar and there'll be plenty to chew over.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

And after the initial excitement, most people realised they only thought it was really good because of how bad the dogtanian song had been. 

If beautiful thing had've been released first it would've got a resounding "that's not too bad for a nunch of middle aged men."

although now because of All For One's terrible reception all the album has to be is 'just okay/not total dogshit' for it to be a success. All For One may have been a masterstroke in the long run - i mean, can it really get much worse than that?*

*i'm prepared to eat my own words on that one

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Best case scenario is they quietly forget any new material exists and play a set that doesn't put a good song on the subs bench at the expense of something so bad it doesn't cause the biggest field-wide cringe since The Kooks played Jackie Big Tits.

i hope/think they'd be smart enough to keep any new material to a minimum - enough that you're aware that they have a new album to promote, but not so much that you're missing any older classics. two or three tops with a unenthusiastic 'this is a new one' cheer before each

10 hours ago, Alan_C said:

I am really interested to see who everyone will be desperate to headline in 2018 and 2019 if Daft Punk, Radiohead and Roses play this year. I'm talking about people on here of course. There has been a massive clamour for those three to play on here, over the last few years.

Coldplay and Muse will have new albums out by 2019.

8 hours ago, Alan_C said:

Blur and Queen probably depend on circumstances at the time. Blur could easily tour again in 3 years, but Damon might not fancy it for another 8. Queen will depend on Adam Lambert staying on board with them. A lot of people are against Queen without Freddie, but I think they would book them.

I just hope we don't get to the point of U2 getting booked again. I think that will probably happen at some point.

If we get all three this year then the inevitable Oasis reunion will be next.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

How much they get requested on here is up for debate, but Madonna, T-Swizzle, Foo Fighters and Rihanna are all headliners in waiting. 

I've had a bad feeling about it being Rihanna this year. I thought post festival this year one of the Eavis's said that one of the headliners for 2017 was at this year's Glastonbury, and Rihanna was a guest there...

36 minutes ago, play it cool said:

I've had a bad feeling about it being Rihanna this year. I thought post festival this year one of the Eavis's said that one of the headliners for 2017 was at this year's Glastonbury, and Rihanna was a guest there...

She wasn't a guest but I hadn't heard that thing about a headliner being there this year.

Don't see Rihanna ever doing it now. Her star has faded and the reports of her live shows are still poor.

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Mix in acts maybe not quite big enough who could make up the numbers - Depeche Mode, Pearl Jam - with the likes of Kendrick Lamar and there'll be plenty to chew over.

Yeah is Rihanna still? That stadium tour sold pretty abysmally  by all accounts and her star is only going to have faded further in another three years. Likewise I don't know how much longer Tay Tay can keep getting more and more popular before the decline sets in. Wouldn't surprise me if she's peaked already. Good shout on the Foo's but it inevitably isn't going to take long for them to be ticked off after the fallow.

Re: Rihanna - who knows, really. Probably depends on how her next album fares.

Edit:  Actually, maybe she needs to release a Greatest hits album - though I'm unsure how pivotal they are to underscoring the success or legacy of an artist in this day and age of streaming and playlists.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Would Take That still be considered by 2019?

Such is the relatively fickle nature of pop stardom it's hard to predict what will be relevant in three years time. It's possible someone like Emelie Sande (hi Neil!) or Ellie Goulding's next records could dominate 2018 and they'd be booked to headline.

There's only three of them now isn't there? Only way I could see it being a possibility is if they managed to get back up to 4 or 5

Again I think Ellie Goulding needed this most recent album to go stratospheric if she was ever going to reach the next level and it just ... didn't

My personal wish would be for Justin Timberlake or Paolo Nutini to be the next big 'pop' headliner but I think they've probably both peaked now too.

Edited by Zac Quinn

I do wonder if Eminem is a possible headliner in a few years in the 'act that was massive a generation ago' slot. I'm not sure how much relevance he has to kids these days but there's always been a 'legend' headliner who doesn't tour too much and when he does it's just a few UK dates.

Is Eminem seen as legend of the late 90's/early 00's music scene? I did wonder with the Straight Outta Compton film, if NWA might do something too though not sure they had a big enough impact in the UK to be a legend act.

Death has robbed us of a few potential headliners.... could have seen Beastie Boys being a 'legend headliner', Amy Winehouse would have been in the mix (not as a legend but as a big act), obviously Prince. 

There's a few massive 80s legend acts (not to everyone's taste!) out there if they do a reunion. Dire Straits, Genesis, Eurythmics. Madonna is always kicking around too.

The problem is that the massive acts of the 90's (who'd be seen as legends now) have all toured festivals to death in the 00's so don't really have that same uniqueness. The 00's have been dominated by Pop/RnB so we're probably in the ballpark of Justin Timberlake, Rihanna, Gaga, Swift. And I still maintain if Glastonbury bravely went 'full pop' one year, then Britney Spears would be a massive headliner doing a career retrospective (though obviously with Dolly Parton levels of vocal support)