Avalon 2024

Crazyfool01

8 hours ago, wro_lap said:

Longtime Frank Turner fan here. I totally get why people dislike him. Sometimes his stuff can feel needlessly preachy and he comes from an extremely privileged background which some argue doesn't give him the perspective he thinks. And those quotes are, as people have pointed out, absolute horseshit.

I will add that more recently he has played Thatcher f**ked The Kids live again and opened it with a speech about how it's about time we get the Tory party out, and he once spoke on a podcast about how his parents raised him conservative and in the last ten years or so he's had to talk them the other way round. And I believe after the last election he posted something about how frustrated he was with the result.

I'd like to think he's matured in the last ten years. He's far from perfect, for sure, and has some absolute misses of songs. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt but totally understand why many wouldn't

There's no point in having a mind if you can't change it. We'd all do well to acknowledge when people do it for the better. ☺️

Ben

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

There's no point in having a mind if you can't change it. We'd all do well to acknowledge when people do it for the better. ☺️

Ben

Yes, and let's remember that some musicians, when they gain popularity and see their fans cheering for them every night, start to think that everything that springs into their mind is gospel. I bet it's so easy to fall into that for some personality types.

5 hours ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

Disappointed to see a lack of love for Flyte on this thread. In my mind they are one of the finest bands this country has produced in a long time and I'm so pleased they are finally getting to play Glasto. Avalon is a perfect stage for them and I implore anyone who loves harmony-drenched indie-folk and timeless songwriting reminiscent of Paul Simon, Crowded House, and Rubber Soul-era Beatles to go and see them. Their live shows are wonderfully wholesome. 

The lead singer, Will, is Billie Marten's partner and I would imagine she will be part of their live band setup. The Deep Blue have supported them and are vocally huge fans of theirs too. The Staves are also good friends of theirs as Jess Stave and Will were housemates for a few years and she also stepped in as part of their live band a few years ago when one of their original members left. 

I'm a fan of Flyte and when I first heard them I was sure they would be extremely popular but for some reason it hasn't really happened for them. I remember when I saw them live for the first time it was at Y Not and there was a decent sized crowd to see them but delayed their set due to a small technical issue. They finally started their much reduced set after about 20 minutes of faffing and lost half the crowd. 

I'm a big fan of Frank Turner but do acknowledge some of the things he has said in the past is strange and often deluded, but if we were all to hang on to every word that everyone has ever said we wouldn't like anyone. We all have opinions that change over time, sometimes for the best and even if he still holds those opinions, which I don't think he does fully, it shouldn't change whether someone likes their music.

6 hours ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

Disappointed to see a lack of love for Flyte on this thread. In my mind they are one of the finest bands this country has produced in a long time and I'm so pleased they are finally getting to play Glasto. Avalon is a perfect stage for them and I implore anyone who loves harmony-drenched indie-folk and timeless songwriting reminiscent of Paul Simon, Crowded House, and Rubber Soul-era Beatles to go and see them. Their live shows are wonderfully wholesome. 

The lead singer, Will, is Billie Marten's partner and I would imagine she will be part of their live band setup. The Deep Blue have supported them and are vocally huge fans of theirs too. The Staves are also good friends of theirs as Jess Stave and Will were housemates for a few years and she also stepped in as part of their live band a few years ago when one of their original members left. 

Flyte didn't grab me whilst I was working through the acts on the poster I don't know.  Gave them another listen this morning after reading your post and whilst there is objectively nothing bad about it, I remain ungrabbed.  Seems very one-paced and formulaic.  After 2-3 tracks, I've stopped actively paying attention and it just washes past in the background.  Not for me.

9 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

They never fell out - Billy was one of a few who actually spoke in defense of him after the Guardian piece: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/sep/08/frank-turner-political-post-ideological-culture

Indeed. I often disagree (a lot) with Billy and I often disagree with Frank, doesn't mean that I don't go along and listen to what they have to say and enjoy their sets. Tony Benn was very clear on this need for dialogue and discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

They never fell out - Billy was one of a few who actually spoke in defense of him after the Guardian piece: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/sep/08/frank-turner-political-post-ideological-culture

my memory tells me that i'm pretty sure billy was slagging off frank at one point.

- for ex-etonites, i prefer Arthur  Blair to frank.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

my memory tells me that i'm pretty sure billy was slagging off frank at one point.

- for ex-etonites, i prefer Arthur  Blair to frank.

I'm not aware of that. They've always got on as far as I know.

Frank is a odd figure politically - he's quite open about his hostility towards the current government but could never quite bring himself to then tell people "so maybe vote for something better" which I found frustrating.

He's toured with Bragg, Chris T-T and Grace Petrie so almost seems to be consciously bringing lefties on tour with him, hence helping put those views in front of his fanbase, but never seeming to want to actually say them himself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Plenty to keep me happy here.. I do get the feeling that the Avalon bookers enjoy a bit of *jesus it was so rammed I couldn't get near* kudos.. but that's being picky.. if they can book someone why not- so long crowd control is safe enough.  Lulu should be on a bigger stage though. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Boris said:

Plenty to keep me happy here.. I do get the feeling that the Avalon bookers enjoy a bit of *jesus it was so rammed I couldn't get near* kudos.. but that's being picky.. if they can book someone why not- so long crowd control is safe enough.  Lulu should be on a bigger stage though. 

I’d agree, the Avalon does get rammed regularly. Lulu should be elsewhere, a pyramid afternoon. You can catch Frank turner in Strummerville as well. 

Hopefully you're right. I came close but failed to get in last year- for what? Sugababes? Hmm ok that was a year before.. (Glastoblur)...Not much of a fan.. just thought it would be fun. I managed to squeeze into a gap amongst poles kind of..

Edited by Boris