What would you make sure to do at your last Glastonbury?

The other Bellboy

Hi all, this year is going to be the last time I attend the festival. Its too far away and too expensive to travel too and I can't push myself like I used to in the early years (so can't make the most of it when I'm there).

Anyway, over the years I've heard things about tomato fights, paint fights and all sorts of secret or special things that go on, which somehow I've always seemed to miss.

I'm looking to make this last trip as special and memorable as possible, so what would you recommend or have on your activity list if it was your last time at the festival?

Cheers.

>I've heard things about tomato fights, paint fights and

i've been to 20+ glastonburys and have never come across anything like this either, so I suspect it's somene being generous with the truth somewhere or pulling your leg.

but if this year was my last time?

staying up all night and seeing the sun come up is always brillaint - making my way back to my caravan around 7am walking throuihg the site when theres nobody around is great 🙂

26 minutes ago, paulshane said:

>

i've been to 20+ glastonburys and have never come across anything like this either, so I suspect it's somene being generous with the truth somewhere or pulling your leg.

but if this year was my last time?

great 🙂

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/the-commons-fight-of-the-tomatoes/#:~:text=You can be part of,Mayan splendour at The Temple.

It was a thing but I don’t know if I’d want to do it. My clothes smell enough on the way home without adding rotten tomatoes to the bouquet 

Edited by tarw
Add info

25 minutes ago, paulshane said:

>I've heard things about tomato fights, paint fights and

the tomato fights and paint fights used to happen in the Temple (but i think it was before it was called the Temple?)

I saw the outcome of the tomato fight and it was truly grim. People were literally covered in bit of old tomatos and seeds. They used over-ripe tomatos 

I took part in the paint fight and it was amazing, but the paint powder went everywhere, and it wasn't easy to just wash it off. 

For me, it's fairly simple, but I wouldn't miss walking up the hill to Tricketts bar on the Wednesday and watching the site fill up. 

29 minutes ago, tarw said:

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/the-commons-fight-of-the-tomatoes/#:~:text=You can be part of,Mayan splendour at The Temple.

It was a thing but I don’t know if I’d want to do it. My clothes smell enough on the way home without adding rotten tomatoes to the bouquet 

amazing 🙂 I have no idea how I missed that 🙂

35 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

I saw the outcome of the tomato fight and it was truly grim. People were literally covered in bit of old tomatos and seeds. They used over-ripe tomatos 

I was walking down the railway line towards avalon one year when everyone coming the other way was absolutely covered, I was a little bit spangled at the time and my brain couldn't parse what I was seeing.

• Upvote 1

If it was my last I would just try to cover the bits I have never done and spend time in my favourite areas.

Glade, greenfields and wandering around probably 

I'd do something which you can *only* do at Glastonbury - catch a huge, iconic performance on El Pointo. 

Issue with the 2024 line up is that there aren't many obvious contenders. Dua, Shania maybe the best bets. Coldplay are too frequent a proposition to really qualify.

Throwing a pot, eating a halloumi cone, grooving to Mik Artistik, checking out the comedy stylings of the Steve Frost Impro Allstars - you can do elsewhere.

I decided last year was my last festival - I watched Elton John from the front row of the Pyramid (for me that couldn’t be topped).  When it finished I made the long trek to Glastonbury sign and just sat there for a good hour taking it all in for one last time and celebrating how lucky I’d been to get tickets every year since 2013.  Whatever the line up has been, I’ve had amazing times even going the last 4 festivals solo and now I’m looking forward to watching it on TV having handed the baton over to someone new.  It will always remain a very, very special place.  

• Like 5
  • Upvote 6

You may not find this helpful, but I always approach every Glasto as if it is my last because I don't think you can ever take it for granted you'll get tickets again for a number of reasons.  sorry if that is a bit "right on".

I just try and enjoy the stuff that is meaningful to me rather than get caught up in FOMO.  There will always be loads of things that people talk about that they loved and sounds really cool but you can't do them all.  

The magic for me has always happened when I haven't planned it or sought it out (with the exception of music acts you have really wanted to see being great). 

So the things I would do at my last Glastonbury is just savour the time there and go to my favourite places again and that would include some time looking at the festival from up near the park and taking it all in and dancing with my friends.

• Upvote 2

Not particularly helpful but my best glasto memories have always been unplanned and from when we decided to just wander around instead of rushing across site to catch a specific band.

I don't think we were at the official "paint fight" but someone did give us all a bunch of the paint powder at the pyramid stage and we had our own paint fight while they recorded it, supposedly on a high speed camera. Never found of if they really did record it but we had a great time.

We also stumbled upon a full on wrestling ring one night and it was incredible, honestly don't think it'll be topped.

I can definitely recommend not to waste time on "legendary" glastonbury things. Last year I made the effort to go to the "secret" piano bar as I'd never been in ten years. I gave up after queueing for an hour and a half, what a waste of time, and full of people who just wanted pictures for Instagram (and a vice journalist)

4 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

I've heard things about tomato fights

This sounds like the sort of thing that is amazing in your imagination, but the reality is horrid.

I went to a "popcorn party" in a club in Tenerife in 2001. Basically like a foam party but with popcorn. Yes, it sounded ridiculous, but also kind of fun...

In reality I spent the entire night attempting to remove fragments of popcorn from my eyes and had very little fun at all.

58 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Not particularly helpful but my best glasto memories have always been unplanned and from when we decided to just wander around instead of rushing across site to catch a specific band.

I don't think we were at the official "paint fight" but someone did give us all a bunch of the paint powder at the pyramid stage and we had our own paint fight while they recorded it, supposedly on a high speed camera. Never found of if they really did record it but we had a great time.

We also stumbled upon a full on wrestling ring one night and it was incredible, honestly don't think it'll be topped.

I can definitely recommend not to waste time on "legendary" glastonbury things. Last year I made the effort to go to the "secret" piano bar as I'd never been in ten years. I gave up after queueing for an hour and a half, what a waste of time, and full of people who just wanted pictures for Instagram (and a vice journalist)

^^^^This 100%

I've never been to the piano bar for this reason.  Would rather do things that will be fun rather than stuff to just have said I've done it/got a photo of it.

I used to love NYC Downlow, had some great times the first few years it was there but won't ever go again now because it is just a massive queue of people going because it is something people think they should go to. It really isn't worth it.

I think I'd try and do all my favourite things that I already know I love and I might try and do things that I have always promised I would do but have still never gotten around to like making something in the craft fields so I have a handmade memory to take with me.

If you want to maybe try and find some of the participation things to do like that big slide by the Greenpeace stage, some of the things they do in the Theatre and Circus fields like the zorbing, light up hula hooping at night.

Honestly though I'd just try and soak up every moment of it and make sure you have a lot of fun to look back on.

7 hours ago, tarw said:

My son was there. He was in a state afterwards. I put him in a large bin bag otherwise he wasn’t getting a lift home! 

I took a long break in the 10s after having been pretty much every year since the late 90s, save for when I missed out on tickets. I knew on the Saturday I needed to take some time off and wouldn't be back for a few years. So, partly I'm saying - you'll know when you're there so don't overthink it too much. When I knew that, basically I did the things that were super special for me. 

I sat for a long time in a chai tea tipi, I hung out at the stone circle, I stayed up late and regretted it...

Have an absolute blast, and never say never! It's not right for you right now but who knows what your future might bring!!

9 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'd do something which you can *only* do at Glastonbury - catch a huge, iconic performance on El Pointo. 

Issue with the 2024 line up is that there aren't many obvious contenders. Dua, Shania maybe the best bets. Coldplay are too frequent a proposition to really qualify.

Throwing a pot, eating a halloumi cone, grooving to Mik Artistik, checking out the comedy stylings of the Steve Frost Impro Allstars - you can do elsewhere.

Excuse me, please, halloumi cone?! This will be my 6th Glasto and I’ve never seen them! Where do you get these from? I need one immediately 😂