Glastonbury lineup poster 2024

Crazyfool01

I've come to understand that, for a lot of people, having some of the world's most famous acts at the top of the bill is what makes Glastonbury special. For me that's not the case, because I'm always going to spend the majority of my time at smaller stages, and I think that what makes Glastonbury special is the enormous array and diversity of acts that play over five days. (And what makes it annoying is the enormity of the site needed to accommodate them all.)

But I do get that, if the top three names aren't considered megastars, especially if they make a lot of people genuinely say "I've never heard of them", then it makes people think it's a poorer lineup. Even though we're only talking about three sets out of thousands across the weekend.

1 hour ago, smogo said:

But I do get that, if the top three names aren't considered megastars, especially if they make a lot of people genuinely say "I've never heard of them", then it makes people think it's a poorer lineup. 

Too bad Dua Lipa is one of pop's biggest stars worldwide and Coldplay isn't probably the biggest band in the world then... 

Edited by matrainertje

1 minute ago, matrainertje said:

Too bad Dua Lipa is one of pop's biggest stars worldwide and Coldplay isn't probably the biggest band in the world then... 

Don't worry, I think these people are wrong and misguided. But I've realised what all the negativity is about.

8 minutes ago, matrainertje said:

Too bad Dua Lipa is one of pop's biggest stars worldwide

Honestly i couldn’t sing you one of her tunes. She’s not up there with the biggest pop stars yet

(and the “that says more about you” argument doesn’t stand when i can sing tunes from probably most in that category)

Edited by Twiggy553

The headliners all deserve to be up there, to a greater or lesser extent. 

Its the other bookings that really tank it - Gossip, London Grammar, James Blake, Disclosure, Sleaford Mods. Combined with a lack of other eye-catching names (Stevie Nicks, Pulp, Chaka Khan, Prodigy, etc)

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

Honestly i couldn’t sing you one of her tunes. She’s not up there with the biggest pop stars yet

(and the “that says more about you” argument doesn’t stand when i can sing tunes from probably most in that category)

I think that argument does stack up actually, the vast majority of people could sing at least one of her songs. 

10 minutes ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

I think that argument does stack up actually, the vast majority of people could sing at least one of her songs. 

Yeah I don't even like her music but still get an occasional ear worm of "One Kiss" every few weeks ha ha ha

I do love this year's lineup, but I must admit the Woodsies and Park headliners are a bit underwhelming. I don't know why The Smile aren't headlining either of those stages this year but then the likes of Jamie XX, Gossip, London Grammar are...

My guess is they wanted them to play but The Smile weren't interested.

Edited by Acid_Haze

16 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

I do love this year's lineup, but I must admit the Woodsies and Park headliners are a bit underwhelming. I don't know why The Smile aren't headlining either of those stages this year but then the likes of Jamie XX, Gossip, London Grammar are...

My sons gone to watch The Smile in Brighton tonight. I'm hoping they will play a secret set maybe.

19 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

Yes, that’s surprising as they did the live at worthy farm thing. 

13 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

Still feel like The Smile must be playing somewhere. They're touring throughout June and finishing in Rome on the 24th so scheduling not an issue. And you'd assume money wouldn't be an obstacle. That rumoured TBA in Woodsie's could be them, but strange they wouldn't have just had them headlining somewhere, would have given the undercard some oomph.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Its the other bookings that really tank it - Gossip, London Grammar, James Blake, Disclosure, Sleaford Mods. Combined with a lack of other eye-catching names (Stevie Nicks, Pulp, Chaka Khan, Prodigy, etc)

Feel lumping James Blake in that crowd is a little harsh. He's become a really successful producer and writer on some of the most popular artists in the world (Beyonce, Kendrick, Travis Scott) but I agree there's a lot of stale bookings on there.

41 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

Money wasn’t good enough ☹️

37 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Feel lumping James Blake in that crowd is a little harsh. He's become a really successful producer and writer on some of the most popular artists in the world (Beyonce, Kendrick, Travis Scott) but I agree there's a lot of stale bookings on there.

Yeah I actually think James Blake was a top booking this year for Woodsies, I loved his new album last year and I'm a bit bummed out he'll clash with SZA.

6 hours ago, shuttlep said:

I love how Divisive the line up is.

i like everyone else looks at it and has an opinion.

if you were to ask me the year that had the best line up , I would struggle. I can't remember any of the line ups really. I remember seeing bands, but not what year they played.

I know I have seen Colplay far too many times.... 

2013 and 2010 were class IMO. Loads of diverse but really interesting acts. However Fri in 2013 was a clashtastrophe of brain melting proportions.

34 minutes ago, Joey Peeps said:

Guess or info?

That’s the info I got from my source who let me know some of the lineup a couple of weeks back, I was hoping they’d heard wrong as really wanted to see them on the poster. Still holding out hope for a secret set, but doesn’t sound hopeful.

25 minutes ago, Little Thief said:

That’s the info I got from my source who let me know some of the lineup a couple of weeks back, I was hoping they’d heard wrong as really wanted to see them on the poster. Still holding out hope for a secret set, but doesn’t sound hopeful.

Yeah that doesn't sound promising.

London Grammar, though.

akI.gif

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I keep forgetting about James Blake and then someone will mention him and BANG there he is again. 

7 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

That argument does stand actually. Sorry.

14 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

London Grammar?! They're brilliant. One of my fav Glastonbury moments was their headline set on the John Peel stage. It was magical 

Edited by Thunderstruck

Coming from someone who can not stand Dua Lipa's music.....

She is absolutely massive star in the year 2024 If someone was to make an argument she was biggest name of the 3 in current times I wouldn't fault them.

I certainly won't be there I'm but im not questioning he credentials. 

If nothing else doing a Song with Elton that her vocals got used for last years headliner got that crowd aware of her. 

Sorry mate that statement is well off

16 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

Edited by Ben7amin_

8 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

That argument does stand actually. Sorry.

It just says that you don't listen to Radio 1 / commerical radio. If you listen to 6music you're not going to hear her. I couldn't name a song and when I listened on Spotify I didn't recognise any. To me she hasn't transcended past that where I would know songs or have heard something from her say as Bille Eilish had.

Not denying she's massive - she probably is but she's not an iconic star to me. Not that it would have any influence if I watched her.

Edited by Chip Batch
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

To me she hasn't transcended past that where I would know songs or have heard something from her say as Bille Eilish had.

Not denying she's massive - she probably is but she's not an iconic star to me. Not that it would have any influence if I watched her.

My point exactly. Despite living under a rock I’m well aware of Rihanna, Billie, Taylor, Ariana’s recent music because they’ve transcended that gap to the extent that people like me are hearing it.

The point someone made above about the Elton song is kind of fair: i have heard that, but only because i was listening to to loads of his music on Spotify as research for his headline set