Brit awards 2024

morph100

10 hours ago, WhoOdyssey said:

I think Raye's headlining chances will depend how her next album does, and whether she wants to continue playing her old dance hits which she clearly doesn't like.

Because just from her new album, only 'Escapism' was a hit. Worth It and Flip a Switch did alright, but aren't particularly well known. 

Prada? Black Mascara? 

She does also have ‘You don’t know me’ from her previous life which is a tune she still rolled out last year and it went off! 

Guardian review of the live acts opens the review of jungle with this... Ouch!

"If you need a précis on who Jungle are, they named themselves after the some of the most forward-thinking music in the UK, and then proceeded to make some of the most backward-thinking music in the UK. They started out with the Fifa-14-loading-screen-core of stuff like Busy Earnin’ and have since graduated to what is very much the “live laugh love” of funk and soul music, with less edge than my toddler-proofed kitchen"

7 minutes ago, Scrump said:

"If you need a précis on who Jungle are, they named themselves after the some of the most forward-thinking music in the UK, and then proceeded to make some of the most backward-thinking music in the UK. They started out with the Fifa-14-loading-screen-core of stuff like Busy Earnin’ and have since graduated to what is very much the “live laugh love” of funk and soul music, with less edge than my toddler-proofed kitchen"

Pretty much summed them up perfectly 

If you’re writing reviews for the guardian, at the brits no less. I don’t think edginess is something you should be expecting to see. But I suppose he got to use one of the quips he’s had lined up in his drafts for the last few months.

• Upvote 1

I'm mostly happy for CASISDEAD - if you're not into him, I'd definitely recommend you give his album a spin. He creates really dark, foreboding British hip-hop influenced by a lot of synth-wave stuff and Vangelis. He's worked with Desire, Neil Tennant and Kyle Dixon (Stranger Things) to create a dystopian 80s sound. His lyrics might be a little dark or too much for some which I think is fair, but he's been working on music for upwards of a decade and it's really nice for him to be recognised. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

Could Raye headline?

No! If Amy Winehouse didn't and she's the superior version. That said, had she returned it would have definitely happened.

13 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

She may not always and happy to be proved wrong but I have only ever seen her lip sync the bulk: 

That's awful dancing.

13 hours ago, panda97 said:

Yeah Calvin Harris winning over Fred feels like the most out of touch possible result

Calvin was probably paid too much to turn up and not win.

54 minutes ago, Scrump said:

Definitely the Guardian, I’ll wait for the more in depth well informed review in the Daily Star. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

brits is always a binfire , dont think its entirely fair judging artists based on this ... its almost like picking the worst artist videos from YouTube 

I have no reason to believe that Dua on the Pyramid will be any different to the pap we watched last night, which was similar to when I saw her in John Peel. 

Record company mass marketing is the success here. And we’re all called grumpy old men for not buying in to the overrated hype. 

Edited by stuie
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, foolee said:

Miming headliner on the Pyramid, it’s a no from me. Hopefully see Placebo clashing with her or something else decent. Happy for BMTH winning their first Brit!

Agreed, bit embarrassing as think she was the only act who has to mime. Doesn't deserve to headline imo. Give it to Raye instead.

42 minutes ago, stuie said:

I have no reason to believe that Dua on the Pyramid will be any different to the pap we watched last night, which was similar to when I saw her in John Peel. 

Record company mass marketing is the success here. And we’re all called grump old men for not buying in to the overrated hype. 

Well I’m happy to watch her so is definately an option for me depending on what the options are .

44 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Well I’m happy to watch her so is definately an option for me depending on what the options are .

Yeah we’ll wait and see what the options are but perhaps one of the options will actually be singing live 😂

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Yeah we’ll wait and see what the options are but perhaps one of the options will actually be singing live 😂

A few pints in I’ll be fine especially further back in the field … I’ll be singing along in my out of tune voice hoping @Superscally is stood nearby 

• Upvote 1

I've seen "Mick Fleetwood" trending because so many people were comparing part of the show to the infamous Fleetwood/Fox debacle.

Likely the first I'd have heard of it tbf. As said on Page 1, I actually didn't know it was on last night until it was happening.

2 hours ago, northernangel said:

No! If Amy Winehouse didn't and she's the superior version. That said, had she returned it would have definitely happened.

Amy Winehouse wasn't exactly the most original artist in the world - obviously Raye is influenced by her but she definitely has her own sound and style.  

17 hours ago, panda97 said:

I have no issue with Raye, I think her music is fine, but is she really "sweeping the awards" level of good? Maybe I am completely missing something but I'm genuinely shocked she has won basically everything 

And got the Nan of the year award 

4 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Amy Winehouse wasn't exactly the most original artist in the world - obviously Raye is influenced by her but she definitely has her own sound and style.  

Agreed that influenced is right, inferior copy is wrong.

I loved Amy and she had a definitive and authentic style, but Raye is as talented vocally and lyrically, whilst also being more versatile, and not destroying her talent with addiction.

I also think Amy would have headlined if she hadn’t tragically lost control of her life in the way she did….& in that sense Raye is the polar opposite as she is taking greater and greater control at the very age Amy was slipping away from us.

5 hours ago, Spindles said:

Something like the brits is hardly the best example of an artist, in my opinion.  I've always thought this tiny desk from the lockdown was a good showcase of Dua live.

Due can definitely sing but as far as I can tell she chooses to ‘perform’ instead at big gigs now.

We saw her headline at Sziget - great show, definitely felt like a headliner, but I don’t think she sung a note. 

Not sure how that works for a Glastonbury headliner these days , but I suspect it’s a direction we’re headed in. 

11 hours ago, foolee said:

Miming headliner on the Pyramid, it’s a no from me. Hopefully see Placebo clashing with her or something else decent. Happy for BMTH winning their first Brit!

Yet Madonna is seemingly A better option when she has no voice and would do more of it. Dua isnt miming, but go on.