In Memoriam

clarkete

8 hours ago, Dark Star said:

Wayne Kramer of the legendary MC5. 

Sad news. An amazing life. MC5 weren't around for a long time but they made a huge impact. I can't imagine hearing that raw, punk sound in the mid-60s when everything else was jangly psychedelia. Must have blown people's minds. This band had something to say. I'm too young to have witnessed them in their original form but I'm happy that I got to hear those tunes on the MC50 tour a few years back. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/4/2024 at 9:29 AM, Skip997 said:

I saw him play with The Wailers a few years ago. Sadly it was a bit of a tragic performance, they brought/carried him on and sat him down, put his fingers in the right spot on his bass and he'd sort of play for a few moments then stop and look as if he'd fallen asleep. On repeat for each song. they did have another bassist to cover up his failings. Don't know whether he'd insisted on playing or whether they'd dragged him out for show, but it was probably the saddest spectacle I've ever seen on stage.

22 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I saw him play with The Wailers a few years ago. Sadly it was a bit of a tragic performance, they brought/carried him on and sat him down, put his fingers in the right spot on his bass and he'd sort of play for a few moments then stop and look as if he'd fallen asleep. On repeat for each song. they did have another bassist to cover up his failings. Don't know whether he'd insisted on playing or whether they'd dragged him out for show, but it was probably the saddest spectacle I've ever seen on stage.

That sounds heartbreaking.

26 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

He was probably just knackered from all the shagging.

• Upvote 2

On 2/5/2024 at 1:24 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

seeing black uhuru is a similar "we're old" experience, and was sad to see, (its all fairly similar to how old james brown did it went he was too old to do it properly,; make a show of it!

saddest reggae thing I've seen, was john holt collapsing on stage, just into his second song . it was the end of his set there was nothing 'show' about it ( - shame i'd been really looking forwards to it).  he sadly passed away a few days later.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

@Neiltrue, one of the guys I go to football with dropped dead aged 62 on 21st Jan - brain hemmorage. ☹️

out of nowhere i had a life-changing close ting aged 58, you never know when its all going to come crashing down. so make the most of your fitness while you have it.

• Upvote 3

On 2/13/2024 at 5:16 PM, westholtschic said:

Steve Wright has passed. Used to love his radio shows .

I'm sure I recall him a couple of times talking about dropping his son off to the festival and picking him up after.

And yes, rest in peace Steve Wright x

Edited by Cooter