In Memoriam

clarkete

Easter 1980 we were lucky enough to go to the US on holiday - a very rare treat for any family in those days.  We flew from Heathrow on a Pan AM 747 and whilst at the airport saw David Soul strolling through followed by a handful of fans. He had a dazzling smile, cowboy hat, boots, shades and a long leather coat.  Having been a big fan of Starsky and Hutch that was pretty exciting. 

We also met the Pat Travers Band on the plane, they were nice, but we didn't know their name and pretty sure I was quite nonplussed, hence I was surprised firstly to see them picked up in a Cadillac limo from JFK airport (such cars were still the preserve of the wealthy then) and when we went to a giant record store in New York it had a range of their records. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Easter 1980 we were lucky enough to go to the US on holiday - a very rare treat for any family in those days.  We flew from Heathrow on a Pan AM 747 and whilst at the airport saw David Soul strolling through followed by a handful of fans. He had a dazzling smile, cowboy hat, boots, shades and a long leather coat.  Having been a big fan of Starsky and Hutch that was pretty exciting. 

We also met the Pat Travers Band on the plane, they were nice, but we didn't know their name and pretty sure I was quite nonplussed, hence I was surprised firstly to see them picked up in a Cadillac limo from JFK airport (such cars were still the preserve of the wealthy then) and when we went to a giant record store in New York it had a range of their records. 

everything was bigger in America back then!

7 hours ago, Neil said:

everything was bigger in America back then!

Funnily enough they'd had the fuel crisis, which was a rarity rare for them to get hit by the price, so there were wealthier folks driving small new cheap cars, whilst poor folks were driving big old gas guzzlers. 

19 hours ago, spg said:

Many won't know Lenny, but plenty will remember Joe Bananas stall. I shared a few pints with him last year and shall raise one to him this year

Rip Lenny

Oh that is very sad news, pretty much the most famous stall on the site during its heyday. 

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Oh that is very sad news, pretty much the most famous stall on the site during its heyday. 

It's still the only stall I could name from any era.

But then again Glastonbury ain't about shopping.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I dunno, back in the day buying cookies or brownies from folks stopping by the tent, or shots from folks with a tequila bottle, or a festival t shirt, but also loads of folks wander the more crafty stalls on a Sunday - either buying stuff to wear or do they still have those little candle boats?   In the pre-Internet sales days I think lots just liked getting things a bit more interesting than their own local shops. 

Edited by clarkete

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

To be fair, the reason anyone can name the stall isn't much to do with shopping.

4 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

The voice of my teenage years.

RIP Annie 😢

She was no John peel too keen on name dropping. And stupid bets with the clash.