2024 New Music

Quark

I think people can genuinely see through when a band is stitched together and made to conform to a certain sound. 

This band came out 2 years ago and were all over TikTok and YouTube. It turned out some of the members ha worked with Dr Luke before (producer of Doja Cat, Kesha, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Jessie J and Rihanna. Allegedly was extremely abusive to Kesha when they were recording).

Fantano goes into it here. They got backlash for pretending to be an authentic punk band despite clearly being pushed onto things like Spotify's New Music Friday. 

The Last Dinner Party genuinely seem to have come together as an actual band, toured together then got scouted and are now being pushed by their label. Of course the label is going to push a band they've signed. What would make them seem inauthentic if they were making TikTok friendly pop/dnb in the vein of PinkPantheress/ Piri/ Kenya Grace and their album was full of features by Clairo and Beabadoobee.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Is there maybe a superior, ultra-competent Mr Bean that performs his tasks brilliantly that I'm not aware of?

Well if you're gonna put it like that, in an obvious and self explanatory fashion...

In my defence I'm one of those sneering gits who'd say I've probably never seen a whole episode 

12 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

The Last Dinner Party genuinely seem to have come together as an actual band, toured together then got scouted and are now being pushed by their label. Of course the label is going to push a band they've signed. What would make them seem inauthentic if they were making TikTok friendly pop/dnb in the vein of PinkPantheress/ Piri/ Kenya Grace and their album was full of features by Clairo and Beabadoobee.  

Hmmm - but how did they get onto the support bill for the Rolling Stones at BST in 2022, despite not having released any recorded music?   Unsigned bands with no releases do not magically show up supporting the Rolling Stones - they have had some kind of helping hand…

3 minutes ago, goonerben said:

Hmmm - but how did they get onto the support bill for the Rolling Stones at BST in 2022, despite not having released any recorded music?   Unsigned bands with no releases do not magically show up supporting the Rolling Stones - they have had some kind of helping hand…

They talk about it around 2 mins into this.

1 hour ago, goonerben said:

I'm not denying they've had a helping hand on the way up. They're clearly rich kids making music in the same way The Vaccines or Fred Again.. are. The video @SomeoneListeningIn posted goes into it - they signed with a booking agent who threw them on to that line-up with The Stones. What I think is stupid is the idea that they're an industry plant - a specific term with a specific meaning. Do you think a label would make them sound the way they do for popularity? I can't think of an artist who sounds like this who are popular right now. If they were pretending to be working-class punks dragged up on a Northern estate that would be one thing, but they're a band with a specific sound and style that people enjoy. 

The sad truth of the world is that even touring as a small indie band is out of the reach of the vast majority of working class kids - take away arts funding, squatting and cheap rent and benefits being more generous and you're left with a generation who are too worried about paying for rent to pick up a guitar and take the time off work to tour. 

Inauthenticity comes across clearly, especially in music. People are a lot more savvy these days and don't like being swindled. What we should be doing is funding and supporting bands without a silver spoon in their mouths instead of consistently trying to "prove" this band's talent and the connection they've fostered with an audience is inauthentic. I'm not their biggest fan in the world but the level of vitriol they're getting (especially by grown men in their 30s-50s - who grew up being pandered to by the entire music industry) has been very, very disheartening and kind of dull.

Also, I'm not sure if you intended this but the "hmmm" at the beginning of your post comes across as a bit patronising.

• Upvote 2

It's all a bit private school to Goldsmiths University for me, The Last Dinner Party, but I really enjoyed Nothing Matters and the album is decent. 

The idea that they're an industry plant or they were put together by record execs seems a bit far fetched. Quite simply if you wanted a front to make big money you'd not do so with a five piece indie band in this day and age. 

On 2/3/2024 at 1:47 PM, goonerben said:

They were at the bottom of the damn bill. they werent on before them. But you want to pick and choose moments where it seems that theyre not geunine enough for you. Im sure if it was all lads you wouldvnt give 2 shits and say they were the best thing since Oasis.

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

The more I listened to it the more I like it actually.

Feels a bit like Jim Steinman decided to get involved with the tail end of Britpop. 

This is a good thing.

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Feels a bit like Jim Steinman decided to get involved with the tail end of Britpop. 

This is a good thing.

Yep it's very bombastic and theatrical and very art school. When I saw them live I said it felt like a cross between Kate Bush and Bat for Lashes.

15 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Another vote for TLDP. Might get tickets for their LDN show later in the year, but can’t decide whether I’ll be bored of the album by then. 

Simz abum is very different!! 

It is not quite got the immediate impact of her last couple of releases but will reserve judgement until I've had a few play throughs.